Rick Middleton Jersey Retirement 11/29/18

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Middleton was excellent for several seasons.

I just think too many numbers get retired.

Orr? Howe? Gretzky? Lemieux? Of course, iconic players should be afforded that respect.

Middleton was not iconic.

But I'm just old fashioned, and need to come to accept this.

In Buffalo, #'s 11 and 39 should be retired. And that's it. Sorry.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Middleton was excellent for several seasons.

I just think too many numbers get retired.

Orr? Howe? Gretzky? Lemieux? Of course, iconic players should be afforded that respect.

Middleton was not iconic.

But I'm just old fashioned, and need to come to accept this.

In Buffalo, #'s 11 and 39 should be retired. And that's it. Sorry.

Each franchise has a different view of iconic.

The Bruins retired numbers were all iconic until they granted the honor to Terry O'Reilly. But Terrance was a player blue-collar Boston loved as they loved Middleton. He was also coach when the Bruins FINALLY were able to beat Montreal in a playoff series.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I looked at the list of retired numbers. Here are those retired for non-HHOFers. If player retired 2016 or later and therefore has not been eligible for HHOF, they are not listed. Announced but not fulfilled number retirements are included.

BOS: Lionel Hitchman, Rick Middleton, Terry O'Reilly
BUF: Rick Martin, Rene Robert, Danny Gare
CGY: Mike Vernon
CAR: Glen Wesley, Rod Brind'Amour
CHI: Keith Magnuson
COL: Milan Hejduk, Adam Foote
DAL: Neal Broten, Jere Lehtinen
LA: Dave Taylor
NJ: Ken Daneyko
NYI: Bob Nystrom
NYR: Adam Graves, Vic Hadfield, Mike Richter
OTT: Daniel Alfredsson
PHI: Barry Ashbee*
PIT: Michel Briere*
STL: Bob Gassoff*, Bob Plager, Barclay Plager, Brian Sutter
TOR: Bill Barilko*, Wendel Clark
VAN: Stan Smyl, Trevor Linden, Stan Smyl
WSH: Yvon Labre, Dale Hunter

Those with asterisk can be related to player's death.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I looked at the list of retired numbers. Here are those retired for non-HHOFers. If player retired 2016 or later and therefore has not been eligible for HHOF, they are not listed. Announced but not fulfilled number retirements are included.

BOS: Lionel Hitchman, Rick Middleton, Terry O'Reilly
BUF: Rick Martin, Rene Robert, Danny Gare
CGY: Mike Vernon
CAR: Glen Wesley, Rod Brind'Amour
CHI: Keith Magnuson
COL: Milan Hejduk, Adam Foote
DAL: Neal Broten, Jere Lehtinen
LA: Dave Taylor
NJ: Ken Daneyko
NYI: Bob Nystrom
NYR: Adam Graves, Vic Hadfield, Mike Richter
OTT: Daniel Alfredsson
PHI: Barry Ashbee*
PIT: Michel Briere*
STL: Bob Gassoff*, Bob Plager, Barclay Plager, Brian Sutter
TOR: Bill Barilko*, Wendel Clark
VAN: Stan Smyl, Trevor Linden, Stan Smyl
WSH: Yvon Labre, Dale Hunter

Those with asterisk can be related to player's death.

Hitchman was considered iconic by Eddie Shore and Shore would not let the Bruins raise his number on Bobby Orr night unless Hitchman was also honored. :dunno:

Lionel Hitchman - Wikipedia

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Shouldn't this be in the Boston section and not in the HOH section?

It does have its own thread on the Bruins Team Page with a link to the video featuring the entire ceremony and.... mentioned in several other threads as well. Middleton was of course a "far better than average player" and does capture, represent an interesting period in Bruins hockey, one of the all time favorites.... IMHO should have been a shoe-in for the HHOF & hopefully one day will be inducted.... a terrific player with reach well beyond Boston & obviously a considerable number of regulars here dont read the Bruins board so..... I for one appreciate it being posted, discussed.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Each franchise has a different view of iconic.

The Bruins retired numbers were all iconic until they granted the honor to Terry O'Reilly. But Terrance was a player blue-collar Boston loved as they loved Middleton. He was also coach when the Bruins FINALLY were able to beat Montreal in a playoff series.

Yes they do, and that's their respective prerogatives.

As an old timer I used to cringe when I saw a skater with a number over 27.

But times have changed, and I need to temper my opinion on that.

I guess #28 is okay now too....;)

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yes they do, and that's their respective prerogatives.

As an old timer I used to cringe when I saw a skater with a number over 27.

But times have changed, and I need to temper my opinion on that.

I guess #28 is okay now too....;)

Yes, odd how high numbers seem verboten to some of us "veterans" as I like to put it. Gotten used to it myself more so now.

I remember minor hockey, always wanted 27 as that's the day of the month I was born, our jerseys went as high as 24, then a lone 30 for the BUG.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Nothing wrong with being a traditionalist, as long as we accept most are not at this point.

I remember in the 70's a player on soccer team I played on requesting #0. The coach said he could have it if he really wanted it, but starters wore #1 through 11.

The player paused, then said "well I suppose #2 would be okay then..." :laugh:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Middleton was on in the studio between periods where his old buddy Barry Pederson is a Bruins analyst.

Middleton said he felt blessed to have played when he did because the first part of his career was in the old-time hockey era. He said that with the simultaneous inclusion of the WHA teams and the mandatory helmet rule in 1979, the old-time hockey era came to an end. As a player, he saw it as a clear change to a new era. He didn't have time to elaborate, but I thought that was an interesting insight.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Middleton was on in the studio between periods where his old buddy Barry Pederson is a Bruins analyst.

Middleton said he felt blessed to have played when he did because the first part of his career was in the old-time hockey era. He said that with the simultaneous inclusion of the WHA teams and the mandatory helmet rule in 1979, the old-time hockey era came to an end. As a player, he saw it as a clear change to a new era. He didn't have time to elaborate, but I thought that was an interesting insight.

.... totally speculating here as obviously, not a mind reader (least ways not that I'd ever admit to Mr.Bonvie :naughty:) however... this opinion or "observation" has been made by others over the years as well..... the WHA's inbound teams were as you know stripped of all of their players with the exception of a couple of skaters and a goalie with the NHL clubs repossessing all of the rest of them had they either been under contract at one time or simply Drafted by them.

The WHA style of play, and the most successful team in the Jets with Hedberg/Hull & Nilsson played a much more wide-open European style, philosophically & practically the Jets & the WHA open to & adopting the European style & recruiting various players from Sweden & elsewhere early on. These players, North American & European born then fanning out throughout the NHL in 79, influencing play, and of course with Sather & the Oilers, Gretzky, Kurri et al playing a European/NA Hybrid Style & blowing away the competition along with peoples minds then yes, had a HUGE influence, the WHA & the Jets changing the way the game had been played. Defence out the window. Run and gun Baby.

Helmets, the introduction in 79 mandating their usage (though Grandfathered) also "changed the game" which when combined with advances in skate technology & technique, the adoption of the short shift game, from Marathon to Sprint, Laneway to Full Cycle.... well, you'd have to be out of your mind to step on an NHL rink from about the late 80's let alone today without a lid on. And ya, absolutely the mandatory helmet laws championed by Red Kelly (who hypocritically while with the Leafs only wore a helmet when playing Defence but who when assigned to play Center which was more than frequently removed it) and instituted at the amateur levels across Canada in the early through mid 60's did "change the game" as it "changed the players". Changed their attitudes towards one another (lack of respect, that they were impervious, head now fair game). You lose "awareness", sight, sound, 6th senses dulled when domed in like that, wearing a helmet. Gretzky for example, he had to wear a helmet and his choice, a Jofa street hockey model that I'm not sure was even CSA or NHL approved extremely light.

So ya, that'd be my take on Nifty's abbreviated comments. Game, everything in Flux since the introduction of the Universal Draft in 63, end of the Sponsorship Era, Expansion in 67/68, Orr & Esposito factor's, Big Bad Bruins & Flyers, Montreal, Summit Series & WHA in 72, Amalgamation & dispersal in 79, Helmet Laws. End of one era, beginning of another, one of the most pivotal moments in the game to wit Rick Middleton not only experienced first hand, but who then had to adapt to on a considerable number of levels.... did so, more than excelled.... Toronto boy. Wexford Raiders. Toronto Young Nats. Outlier organizations who unlike their better known counterparts in St.Mikes & the Marlie organization have produced some serious talent over the decades. Middleton one of many but certainly... amongst the very best of his age, any age.

Last edited:

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
Maybe HOF can finally wake up, He was 1 of the most exciting players in NHL history, He Holds 4 NHL Playoff Records Including “MOST POINTS IN 1 PLAYOFF SERIES” (19).

Just watch his Highlite Reel Goals it is remarkable!!!

Good to see His Number #16 Retired.
It’s too bad Injuries/Concussion’s wrecked a Career at Age 34.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Maybe HOF can finally wake up, He was 1 of the most exciting players in NHL history, He Holds 4 NHL Playoff Records Including “MOST POINTS IN 1 PLAYOFF SERIES” (19).

Just watch his Highlite Reel Goals it is remarkable!!!

Good to see His Number #16 Retired.
It’s too bad Injuries/Concussion’s wrecked a Career at Age 34.

Grapes on Middleton

Reactions: Vanzig

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I often see the "WHA-merged-into-NHL" in 1979 used as some sort of marker of increased offense in the big League (as in Killion's post, above). But is it really so?

Consider:
-- In 1967-68 (1st expansion-era season), goals-per-game per team was 2.78 per game. The very next season it jumped to 2.99. Two years later (1970-71) it was up to 3.13. Three years later (1974-75) it was 3.43. Four years later (1978-79, the final season pre-WHA-merger) it was up to 3.50. Then, the first post-WHA season it was... 3.51 -- that is, no change whatsoever.

Even in the single highest-scoring season in modern hockey (1981-82, three years after the merger), scoring was at 4.01 per game, which marks a 14.5% increase over the final WHA season. Whereas that final pre-merger season (1978-79) was already a 25.9% increase in scoring over the first post-expansion season. By 1991 or 1992, scoring was back down to pre-WHA merger levels.

In short, I think Middleton (and others) are imagining a dividing line in 1979 that didn't really exist.

The helmets thing is disputable too, I think. Hell, we still saw MacTavish schlepping around with no helmet in 1996, seventeen years after this supposed dividing line.

Reactions: Vanzig and Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I often see the "WHA-merged-into-NHL" in 1979 used as some sort of marker of increased offense in the big League (as in Killion's post, above). But is it really so?

Consider:
-- In 1967-68 (1st expansion-era season), goals-per-game per team was 2.78 per game. The very next season it jumped to 2.99. Two years later (1970-71) it was up to 3.13. Three years later (1974-75) it was 3.43. Four years later (1978-79, the final season pre-WHA-merger) it was up to 3.50. Then, the first post-WHA season it was... 3.51 -- that is, no change whatsoever.

Even in the single highest-scoring season in modern hockey (1981-82, three years after the merger), scoring was at 4.01 per game, which marks a 14.5% increase over the final WHA season. Whereas that final pre-merger season (1978-79) was already a 25.9% increase in scoring over the first post-expansion season. By 1991 or 1992, scoring was back down to pre-WHA merger levels.

In short, I think Middleton (and others) are imagining a dividing line in 1979 that didn't really exist.

The helmets thing is disputable too, I think. Hell, we still saw MacTavish schlepping around with no helmet in 1996, seventeen years after this supposed dividing line.

..... I see... :fight:..... and you'd be wrong.... Numbers, average scoring stats irrelevant. Game in total flux.

.... as for helmets, it was "one of the factors" not "the factor". Culmination of a lot of things. The game hit a Cloverleaf in 79/80 after traveling some strange roads from the early 60's on... roads without signposts.... the Twilight Zone. All bets off. What followed in the wake of unsustainable over-hasty Expansion & Amalgamation, challenges to the Reserve Clause, lowering of the Draft Age & on & on as mentioned above fundamentally, radically changed the game on & off the ice. Whole new model, game. Its to that of which Middleton & others are speaking. So yes, 79/80 a seminal year, period.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Consider:

Middleton didn't say anything about increased offense. Just that it seemed to be a clear change from old-time hockey to modern hockey. Seemed to be more about attitude, responsibility, pride.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Middleton didn't say anything about increased offense. Just that it seemed to be a clear change from old-time hockey to modern hockey. Seemed to be more about attitude, responsibility, pride.
I guess so. I dunno, though, was 1978 hugely different from 1982?

Not that it matters, but I think, for me, the post-expansion mini-"eras" very roughly break down like this:
1967-1976: first nine seasons of expansion; WHA-defections; mass gooning
1976 - 1984: offense grows far in advance of defense/goaltending; Euro-influence in NHL
1984 - 1994: stable era of creative hockey with high-speed and high-entertainment; end of Dynasties
1995 - 2004: free-agency; dead-puck / size-fetish era (the latter not really starting until 1997)
2005 - 2015: post-Lock Out, "clean" hockey; too many teams, mostly snoozefest era
2015 - now: return to youth, speed, offense; Clean and corporate, PC hockey

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Yes, odd how high numbers seem verboten to some of us "veterans" as I like to put it. Gotten used to it myself more so now.

I remember minor hockey, always wanted 27 as that's the day of the month I was born, our jerseys went as high as 24, then a lone 30 for the BUG.

If I remember correctly, when I started minor hockey in the mid 1970's I think our numbers only went up to 18; don't think there was anyone for a backup goalie. Anyone else having to cover playing in goal wore the goalie's equipment and jersey.
As one of the younger ones (born in October) I usually got stuck with a higher number in atom and I think peewee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad