Rick Martin for the Hall of Fame, build arguments either way

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Big Phil, Mar 14, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

You knew this thread would pop up. So sad to hear about his tragedy though, it was a different era when teams had lines together for multiple years.

So build a case for, or against, his induction.

2. TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe Registered User

Awards:
    I highly doubt he makes it. He was never one of those guys considered "obviously omissions" on really anybody's list.

3. seventieslord

seventieslord Student Of The Game

I don't think he is a HHOFer. But I'd rather not build a case against him, the day after he died.

4. reckoning

reckoning Registered User

Had it not been for the injury, he would already be in. His goal scoring was well on it's way to meeting HHOF criteria.

Martin started his career in 1971-72 the same season Guy Lafleur and Marcel Dionne also made their NHL debuts. Here's how they stacked up in goals for the first nine years of their career (up until Martin's last full season in 79-80):

Not much difference in their totals. Admittedly that's just goalscoring;. Martin was primarily a sniper who wasn't as multidimensional offensively as Lafleur or Dionne. But we're talking about two of the greatest offensive talents in history, the fact that he's close to equal to them in even just that one category is impressive. If he was inducted, he would be a more deserving choice than a few of the others we've seen over the last decade.

Interesting bit of trivia: Martin scored more goals against Ken Dryden than any other player.

5. Axxellien

Axxellien Registered User

Bizz.
    ..La Connection Francaise:

..He could be inducted as a part of the famed French Connection line...Hall could create a section honouring special trios.

6. MXD

MXD Original #4

Dead
    ...Let's just say that he was on pace to get in, until disaster struck. He was no Bossy or Lafleur (if Lafleur retires at the end of the 79-80 season, he's in...), but there weren't many Bossy and Lafleur either.

Give him three other seasons, and he's really hard to keep out (if Bill Barber gets in).

... I think it was the other way around, but that happens.

7. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

There'd be nothing wrong with that. Only Dionne is in the HHOF from the Triple Crown line but that line was insane for a time period and actually was the first line to have all three members scored at least 100 points.

I have no problem with honours in that regards. After all, Baseball honours dynasties and talks openly about Pete Rose not being in within their Hall.

In a perfect world the entire French Connection line are worthy HHOFers. But there is but a mild case for Martin and I'm not sure you could ever build a decent case for Robert to be honest.

8. Dreakmur

Dreakmur Registered User

Arena Operator
    Dino Ciccarelli is a good reason that Rick Martin should get in. :naughty:

9. kmad

kmad riot survivor

And then Brian Propp. And then Vincent Damphousse. And then Trevor Linden. And then Sergei Zubov. And then Derian Hatcher. And then Ray Whitney. And then Geoff Courtnall. And then Steve Duchesne.

Maybe they'd even induct Makarov.

10. seventieslord

seventieslord Student Of The Game

Best username ever. :handclap:

HM: Courtesy Flush; Stupid Sexy Flanders; Don'tToewsMeBro

11. Franck

Franck eltiT resU motsuC

Bank robber
    FinnishYourCzechs is a favourite of mine.

12. andreydali19

andreydali19 They're relentless

Being repetitious, but bring back the veteran's committee, then there's a chance.

13. God Bless Canada

God Bless Canada Registered User

Newspaper reporter
    I don't know if the Veteran's Committee would help Martin's case. When you look at the original Veteran's Committee, they often went for the guys like Herbie Lewis and Woody Dumart - the solid two-way players that players "get," and fans often don't get. Dick Duff would have probably been inducted before 2006 if the veteran's committee still existed; Claude Provost would probably be in, too. Martin doesn't strike me as the type who would get "forgotten" as time goes on, and those are the types of players who benefit from a Veteran's Committee. Martin was just too good of a goal scorer.

I don't think he's there. Big Phil has often tried to compare Martin with Neely, but aside from injury-stunted careers, there isn't a comparison. Neely defined a critical role within a team and the game. Martin did not. Neely was a dominant force in the post-season; Martin was not.

Much like Tim Kerr, he was a magnificent goal-scorer whose career was cut short because of injury. Much like Kerr, if not for the injury, Martin would be in the HHOF. The small, brittle ice in Buffalo was often a detriment for Gilbert Perrault; along with Boston, New York and Chicago, it was the arena that was the worst fit for Perrault. (There were other factors that hurt Perrault's production, but he numbers would have increased if he was in the right situation in terms of linemates, ice sheet size and ice conditions). But small ice was definitely a perfect fit for guys like Martin and Danny Gare. It changes the angles for the goalies so much. If a goal scorer could make the small ice work to his advantage, it would be a bonanza.

Regardless, it was very sad to hear of Martin's passing. One of the top goal-scoring left-wingers of the last 40 years.

14. TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe Registered User

Awards:
    I'm very partial to shutupgrapes

15. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Style-wise they couldn't be further apart. I am thinking more for career value. Martin is at least on par - probably superior - in the regular season. Neely beats him in the postseason for sure and the added physical dimension helps him which Martin didn't have. Martin was at least as good of a goal scorer too. When looking at career value it is closer than one might think.

16. JaymzB

JaymzB Registered User

I think you could argue he was just as good (if not better) that contemprary LW's Barber and Shutt at his their peaks, but those 2 had better longevity. That really to me is the only arguement one could make.

17. jumptheshark

jumptheshark Rebooting myself Sponsor

currently creating a new identity
    I think with Martin there are two things that have kept him out

1)Gilbert Perreault was like gretzky when it came to making people around him look great
    2) ten year career and no cup wins--dryden had a short career--but is a legend..

Not sure why some people brought up Marcel Dionne--Dionne scored 731 goals and 1771 points--for me--HOF score over 500 and have well over 1000pts--Martin fails on both accounts.
    And for those who say Martin should be in--Rene Robert should also get consideration

18. jumptheshark

jumptheshark Rebooting myself Sponsor

currently creating a new identity
    also--if considering Martin--danny Gare-should also get consideration

Gare 827games 354goals 331assist 685pts
    Martin 685 games 384goals 317 assists 701pts
    Robert 744games 284 goals 418assists 702pts

the comment link for these guest is Gilbert Perreault

19. FiveForDrawingBlood

FiveForDrawingBlood Registered User

If somebody like Joey Mullen, Clark Gillis, Glenn Anderson gets in definitely mention for Rick Martin. For about 10 years in '70s he was one of top goal scorers. I think he set a record with most goals for a rookie in his rookie year. Broke by Bossy a few years later I know, but to set that mark and be the goal scorer on most famous line ever, should put Martin in Hall

20. FiveForDrawingBlood

FiveForDrawingBlood Registered User

If I had to compare somebody to Martin I would say Charlie Simmer