Rick MacLeish Play Style

JurassicPuck

Aug 16, 2014
Had almost two 50 goal seasons, What was his shooting like? How good of a skater was he? Was he a physical player who worked the corners or did he float around in the slot? How good was he defensively? Any comparable players?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
He wasn't soft, but I wouldn't call him physical either. He was part of that group of Flyers that was a lot more talented than people seem to remember that team to have been.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
MacLeish was actually sort of like Messier in terms of his skating, passing & shooting, but, ironically for a Flyer of the time, he didn't have the physical, dirty or nasty streak that most of his teammates had, he was a more purely skill player a la Perrault. He had good footspeed like Messier & like Messier he scored a ton of goals with his slow set-up / quick-release wrist shot - he had tremendous vision. Like Messier, another left wing to center conversion. A lot of clutch goals, too, so he was a pretty fierce competitor. Definitely always looked like the most talented Flyer during their heyday, although Clarke's passing was phenomenal.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
MacLeish is one of those "what could he have been" type of players if he applied as much as he could while playing in the NHL. Probably was the most talented Flyer during this time period, but he was also considered lazy and only played hard when he felt like it. Clarkie has said on multiple occasions that MacLeish was the one player he would have to constantly ride to put forth effort.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
MacLeish was a natural, born to play like talent. Gifted skater, smooth with the puck, had a great wrister and could pick any corner. Big time money player in the playoffs, always put up big numbers in April and May. Not afraid to go in corners either. Great player!

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
The Sabres and the Flyers always made me nervous as a young Habs fan. Perreault, Jim Schoenfeld (of all people), Reggie Leach, and Rick MacLeish stand out for me.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
MacLeish was a natural, born to play like talent. Gifted skater, smooth with the puck, had a great wrister and could pick any corner. Big time money player in the playoffs, always put up big numbers in April and May. Not afraid to go in corners either. Great player!

I always thought Ivan Boldirev played a bit like Rick. The game seemed to come easy to both of them and they were often mislabeled as lazy because of this.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
He was a very good player for the Flyers back in the day. Always left you wanting more though it seemed like.

Hence Clarke getting on his ass all of the time. Clarke knew how great he could be, but MacLeish was just satisfied in being above average at best.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The book Ultimate Hockey named him as the worst defensive forward of the 70s, but in old games of his that I've seen, he doesn't look that bad. His checking certainly wasn't near the level of Clarke or Barber, but he's adequate enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad