Rick Jeanneret

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
A total shell of himself that borders on intolerable over the last year and a half.

Legendary indeed. But he's done.

/facts

Mad they get

Reactions: joshjull

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
He should've retired a couple seasons ago. He's nowhere near as good as he used to be.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Opinions are opinions.

RJ is still awesome.

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, can be reached; perfection is God's business."

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
So, in this crazy world with no hockey I got a great present in the mail today. This is my story:

The Sabres Facebook team ran a competition a few weeks ago to win an RJ Bobblehead signed by him. I posted a reply that it would be great if they would do competitions that were eligible to fans outside of the state of NY. Even f you ignore me miles away, over the Pacific Ocean, there are people in other states, or just over the border in Canada that would love to be in the running for prizes. In my opinion, even more so for RJ because players change but RJ is the constant at the Sabres.

So then his wife PMed me on Facebook a week later as she'd seen my post and asked if I'd like a signed photo. She organised for the Sabres to get a nice photo and she got him to sign it, and the team posted it to me. It arrived today :) This will get framed and put up on the wall asap.

So awesome for someone to go out of their way to a nice thing for a person they don't know.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 11

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I'm fine with an older RJ calling games still...he's not what he once was but still better than anyone else...And he still has his sense of humor lol.... as far as other announcers in the league I like Mike Lange of Pittsburgh but obviously we would never get him..."Scratch my back with a hacksaw"

member 311261

Some guys have it, some don't. Calling games is a talent, just like playing hockey. I could have trained for hockey in all the best clinics and schools and could have never progressed beyond a very limited level.

Rick's abilities are Crosby - Gretzky level. Yes he's older and slower, but still the best. At his advanced age he still paints a picture for the game far beyond Dunleavy. I think the excitement level is definitely down compared to years past, but he's seen A LOT of losing seasons. The fans are all down too.

As a Canadian watching HNIC I always thought Bob Cole had next level talent like Rick (that his successors haven't matched). There's too many vanilla-men out there!

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
A total shell of himself that borders on intolerable over the last year and a half.

Legendary indeed. But he's done.

/facts

Mad they get

This is pretty harsh but it's more or less accurate.

I watch all games online, and have my choice between home/away broadcasts. A while ago I switched to watching all non-Sabres broadcasts, which I have actually really enjoyed.

I just couldn't take it anymore.

The RJ/Rob Ray duo is quite possibly the worst in the NHL right now. And it's made much worse by RJ's old school style of doing all the talking while play is ongoing.

The interactive conversation between a good play by play guy and a good color guy--during gameplay--makes the game a lot more interesting these days. The games can be pretty boring otherwise!

It's almost getting like baseball; need an interesting broadcasting conversation going to make the damn game tolerable.

Reactions: Ehran

Member 308457

What can you say about RJ except Buffalo is so lucky to have him. He's a HOF icon in WNY/SO. In Buffalo there have been some great times (in the distant past) and even when the times are bad, like they are now and have been for a long time, he makes them sound great. We are not worthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

member 311261

This is pretty harsh but it's more or less accurate.

I watch all games online, and have my choice between home/away broadcasts. A while ago I switched to watching all non-Sabres broadcasts, which I have actually really enjoyed.

I just couldn't take it anymore.

The RJ/Rob Ray duo is quite possibly the worst in the NHL right now. And it's made much worse by RJ's old school style of doing all the talking while play is ongoing.

The interactive conversation between a good play by play guy and a good color guy--during gameplay--makes the game a lot more interesting these days. The games can be pretty boring otherwise!

It's almost getting like baseball; need an interesting broadcasting conversation going to make the damn game tolerable.

Agree to disagree on all points.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Hes OK. Wish we had that Kevin Sylvester still...

take that TOOTOO
It's gotten to a point where I can't tell reality from comedy anymore. This is parody, right? I was shocked one other time when I ripped into KSly to a guy who turned out to be a big fan, but the Tootoo part makes me lean parody.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->