Confirmed with Link: Rick Dudley Leaves Canadiens to Join Carolina Hurricanes

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I don't mind that Bergevin likes to hire his friends and he's not the first GM in this league to have done that. I just wish he had better qualified friends. I mean, why couldn't he have been Larry Robinson's friend instead of JJ Daigneault's friend?
Robinson was a superstar in the NHL and one of the greatest habs of all time, he simply does not qualify.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So, just heard on RDS, from Alain Crête, that Bergevin did meet with Bouchard. Is this old stuff?

Wouldn't surprise anyone.

How many people knew that Bergevin had met with Ducharme? Several sources were panicking about how other teams had contacted Ducharme and made offers and pointed fingers at the Habs for sitting on their hands, and yet ... lo and behold, Habs announced his signing. Same method is at work here, maybe they saw Bouchard, maybe they didn't -- but he's going to be signed by hook or by crook.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So, just heard on RDS, from Alain Crête, that Bergevin did meet with Bouchard. Is this old stuff?

I had posted a tweet in the Joel Bouchard thread from Marc De Foy, who in the tweet offered a link to an article he wrote for JDM. In there, he wrote that about 10 days ago, Bergevin met with Bouchard about the possible roles he can join the Canadiens under.

Like @Runner77 said, it's the worst kept secret. However, it's a reassuring report. Because there was a moment of worry that Habs were slipping on the Ducharme front. And a day after there were reports Ducharme had met with Capitals and that the Blues were also interested in him, the Habs officially announce his signing. And that was such welcome news.

In Bouchard's case, it's already been confirmed he's met with him. And Bergevin himself admitted on Saturday before the Draft Lottery that they're interested in Bouchard. I appreciated that transparency. It put me more at ease that they aren't sleeping on Bouchard.

Just to think that the Habs could bring in two of the young bright hockey minds in the business, who were both the most responsible people to lead Canada in the WJC is a breath of fresh air. Last year and this year, we were all calling for the Canadiens to recruit these two guys. One is recruited. The other is all but confirmed to be recruited. I am a happy Habs fan knowing that.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Actually, I see three possiblities.

1) rat is jumping ship
2) Dudley doesn't like the direction that MB has taken and will be taking the team
3) MB and Dudley are still close friends and Dudley is taking a bullet for his buddy. Changes needed to happen so since he had an opening in Carolina he volunteered and saved the necks of the others.
It's hard for me to see Bergevin pushing him out but not Molson.

Molson was clear at the press conference, change was coming.

The fact that he won't be replaced seems to suggest Molson didn`t believe the position was required any longer.

Listening to Dudley`s explanation of what he`d be doing in Carolina, doesn`t sound like he even knows. Find the first lifeboat and jump on board.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's hard for me to see Bergevin pushing him out but not Molson.

Molson was clear at the press conference, change was coming.

The fact that he won't be replaced seems to suggest Molson didn`t believe the position was required any longer.

Listening to Dudley`s explanation of what he`d be doing in Carolina, doesn`t sound like he even knows. Find the first lifeboat and jump on board.

Dudley had advised Bergevin that with his contract up, he would like to explore other possibilities. It could be a case of Dudley seeing the writing on the wall. Maybe he felt that if he signed on to stay and they had another bad year, MB would be fired and he'd be part of the sweeping change. All good with that.

The thing about his position not being filled doesn't mean they won't hire someone else and just give him a different title, like Director of Hockey Operations as an example. It's just the title that won't be replaced. But the job he did could clearly be taken by someone else under the guise of a different title.

As for Carolina, no one knows what's going on over there. I think Waddell wanted to bring a good buddy of his so they can console each other in the disaster Tim Dundon is creating over there.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Dudley had advised Bergevin that with his contract up, he would like to explore other possibilities. It could be a case of Dudley seeing the writing on the wall. Maybe he felt that if he signed on to stay and they had another bad year, MB would be fired and he'd be part of the sweeping change. All good with that.

The thing about his position not being filled doesn't mean they won't hire someone else and just give him a different title, like Director of Hockey Operations as an example. It's just the title that won't be replaced. But the job he did could clearly be taken by someone else under the guise of a different title.

As for Carolina, no one knows what's going on over there. I think Waddell wanted to bring a good buddy of his so they can console each other in the disaster Tim Dundon is creating over there.
When an organization is headed down, not a bad idea to move on, on your own terms (like Babcock did leaving Detroit).

The Habs do seem to create lots of titles (Associate Coach, how many Asst GM`s, etc).. I didn``t hear/read the exact statement but sounded like the position Dudley had is gone. We`ll see if they fill it down the road, possibly internally or maybe when there is a new GM, especially if it`s someone without experience again.

Agree on Carolina., they need some stability there, Waddell knows well who he is hiring.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I had posted a tweet in the Joel Bouchard thread from Marc De Foy, who in the tweet offered a link to an article he wrote for JDM. In there, he wrote that about 10 days ago, Bergevin met with Bouchard about the possible roles he can join the Canadiens under.

Like @Runner77 said, it's the worst kept secret. However, it's a reassuring report. Because there was a moment of worry that Habs were slipping on the Ducharme front. And a day after there were reports Ducharme had met with Capitals and that the Blues were also interested in him, the Habs officially announce his signing. And that was such welcome news.

In Bouchard's case, it's already been confirmed he's met with him. And Bergevin himself admitted on Saturday before the Draft Lottery that they're interested in Bouchard. I appreciated that transparency. It put me more at ease that they aren't sleeping on Bouchard.

Just to think that the Habs could bring in two of the young bright hockey minds in the business, who were both the most responsible people to lead Canada in the WJC is a breath of fresh air. Last year and this year, we were all calling for the Canadiens to recruit these two guys. One is recruited. The other is all but confirmed to be recruited. I am a happy Habs fan knowing that.

There’s really no excuse considering they are French-Canadian and the organization isn’t strapped for cash. It would be embarrassing to let them walk away.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
How much time remaining on Brisebois' contract in TB?

It's not really important if Yzerman gives his permission for a discussion. Typically, GMs will give their people opportunities to listen to offers especially when they're for a higher level position.

Reactions: Runner77

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
It's not really important if Yzerman gives his permission for a discussion. Typically, GMs will give their people opportunities to listen to offers especially when they're for a higher level position.

Agreed but AGM of the Habs under Bergevin would probably not qualify. However, if his contract was running out on July 1st I don't see any issue

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Agreed but AGM of the Habs under Bergevin would probably not qualify. However, if his contract was running out on July 1st I don't see any issue

I'm not sure BrisBois would be interested in AGM. He's currently AGM with Tampa and GM of Syracuse Crunch, their AHL affiliate. I'd guess he'd be looking for a GM position.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not sure BrisBois would be interested in AGM. He's currently AGM with Tampa and GM of Syracuse Crunch, their AHL affiliate. I'd guess he'd be looking for a GM position.

Is anyone really going to want to get a position where he'd be sandwiched Bergevin and Molson? Unless Brisebois has full control, I agree, there's no reason for him to leave his current set-up.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Rick Dudley jumped ship.

On TSN there’s a media clip and Dudley didn’t know what his role is going into Carolina. Kinda like you took the job but you dont know what you will do in that job.

What? Dudley doesn’t know what’s going on. And Molson said no he will not extend Dudley in June. And Molson will not hire any more new People.

This means Bergevin is going to be fired soon.

Reactions: BLONG7

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Brisebois for GM can't be worse than what we have.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Rick Dudley jumped ship.

On TSN there’s a media clip and Dudley didn’t know what his role is going into Carolina. Kinda like you took the job but you dont know what you will do in that job.

What? Dudley doesn’t know what’s going on. And Molson said no he will not extend Dudley in June. And Molson will not hire any more new People.

This means Bergevin is going to be fired soon.

I don't get why/how the former would automatically mean the latter. Care to explain?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Sorry if its been asked on the other 18 pages, but is there any compensation for Dudley signing with Carolina?

no...

Dudley was done in Montreal in 30 days ..contract was up...

never gave Leafs any when we got him...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sorry if its been asked on the other 18 pages, but is there any compensation for Dudley signing with Carolina?

None's been reported. Plus, Carolina's done us a solid. It's an expiring contract and there didn't seem to be any appetite for a renewal on the Habs' side, despite what Dudley is saying. He and Bergevin are as thick as thieves. This looks very much like an ownership purge.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Rick Dudley left the Canadiens when he was most needed,...

“I’d say in the last few years I gravitated more to the amateur side of things and did a lot of amateur scouting and a lot of work with Shane Churla and Trevor Timmins,” Dudley said in a conference call. “The pro side there has Eric Crawford and Scott Mellanby and a couple of other people, and they did the heavy lifting on the pro side for the most part. I did some; when there was a specific need for a report Berg would ask me to look at a player and I would do that.
“But for the most part, I’m extremely proud of the work that’s been done on the amateur side in Montreal and I’m proud to say I was a part of that. I think in the last couple of drafts, I think you’ll see in the next couple of years that they’ve added several players that are going to help them, help them a lot.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad