Rick DiPietro style?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughes J Laffy

A-Laf #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Now I have ask this question in the Islanders forum but I did not get a clear 100% sure answer, so my question to ya all ppl is:

what style does DiPietro play? I have heard he is a butterfly goalie but other say he is not ya typical butterfly or ya typical standup goalie. He play an unthordox play, not Hasek like but ya get the idea. So any clue?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Roberto Luongo said:
Now I have ask this question in the Islanders forum but I did not get a clear 100% sure answer, so my question to ya all ppl is:

what style does DiPietro play? I have heard he is a butterfly goalie but other say he is not ya typical butterfly or ya typical standup goalie. He play an unthordox play, not Hasek like but ya get the idea. So any clue?

Dipeitro plays some butterfly, but IMO, he's more of a reflex goalie (CuJo) than a true butterfly (Roy, Brodeur) goalie.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Personal description:

Overly aggressive. The exact opposite of a "quite" style in goal that minimizes movement.

He gets by (and gets by well) on his reflexes currently, much moreso than technique and proper positioning. He will have to adjust in order to continue to progress in the league, IMO. I'm sure some will disagree, including fellow NYI fans, but in time, the league will catch up. His style is brilliant when he is on, and great for the ESPN highlight video crowd, but it is inconsistent.

I know this does not answer your Q, directly. Sorry.

Erngueva

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Roberto Luongo said:

I call his style "hibryd". He likes to butterfly but not as much than other butterfly goalies (Roy, Luongo, Giguere). Brodeur have a more acrobatic style than Roy or Giguere who plays almost perfectly the positional game. To beat them you have to make a perfect shot over the shoulder or take the rebound.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
Trottier said:
Personal description:

Overly aggressive. The exact opposite of a "quite" style in goal that minimizes movement.

He gets by (and gets by well) on his reflexes currently, much moreso than technique and proper positioning. He will have to adjust in order to continue to progress in the league, IMO. I'm sure some will disagree, including fellow NYI fans, but in time, the league will catch up. His style is brilliant when he is on, and great for the ESPN highlight video crowd, but it is inconsistent.

I know this does not answer your Q, directly. Sorry.

I definitely agree with you that DiPietro will have to adjust in order to continue his progress at the NHL level. Especially with the rule changes, Rick DiPietro will have to adjust significantly, since he will no longer be able to be as agressive, in particularly with his love for stickhandling with the puck.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
He plays a "hybrid" style not too different from Brodeur's; although, not nearly as calm in the crease as Brodeur and nowhere near Brodeur's consistency. He butterflies, but he also relies on pure athleticism and reflexes more than positioning and will even resort to a flop-style when he's beaten on a play or deke, stacking the pads or snow angeling, but never giving up. When he is playing at his best, is when he minimizes movement and stays tighter in the crease, playing more on the calm side than the aggressive side. But if he gets off his game at all, he comes way out to play the angles and handles the puck too much.

The reason you haven't gotten a good response, is that he's hard to nail down, as he doesn't have an exact style. Right now he's still a work in progress. It seems that in his younger days he was able to get by on stickhandling and reflexes alone, but now he's striving to learn the more technical side of the position. If he can learn that and improve his consistency, he should be one hell of a goalie.

Hughes J Laffy

A-Laf #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Ok thanks alot guys for taking time and answer my question. And mine answer to goalie12 is : yes! I think Rick DiPietro will be one hell of a goalie. And I think his weakness will ne narrow down as he get older, the guy is still only 22 and I think he have made an big improvement since playing down AHL. Too bad the NHL will change the "goalie cant leave crease" rule as DiPietro stickhandling is something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->