Richmond update:

Discussion in 'ECHL, NWHL, and other Minor Pro Leagues' started by CHRDANHUTCH, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH Registered User

2. royals119

royals119 Registered User Sponsor

This article says that VCU will be holding multiple small graduations next spring because the Coliseum wouldn't give them a date. It also says the arena football team moved out because they couldn't get dates either, and claimed the building isn't scheduling anything after Jan 1 2019. The arena manager said that isn't true.

VCU will not host a university-wide commencement ceremony in 2019; Coliseum 'unavailable'

The arena website has no events listed for 2019, and their news section hasn't been updated since May 2018. This article is about the potential redevelopment of the area, which would include a new 17,000 seat arena, but plans aren't final and the city is discussing a new study.

Stoney's special tax zone for $1.4 billion coliseum plan in downtown Richmond may be 8 times bigger than initial 10-block project area

3. CHRDANHUTCH

royals:

you need to be on social media, the Coliseum aka "the Freezer" is or will be gone in December 2018, the same way the Spectrum went in NE Philadelphia, before the Phantoms returned to Allentown, care to explain the stop in Glens Falls for a Flyers based affiliate back then?

4. Tater Tot

Tater Tot Registered User

The Phantoms went to Glens Falls because everybody knew the Spectrum was coming down, the GFCC was available, they didn't want the team to go dark and the Allentown arena construction hadn't even started yet.

5. royals119

royals119 Registered User Sponsor

I wouldn't believe everything you read on Facebook. Care to share a link to a source for a definitive story about the Coliseum coming down in December? The link you shared didn't go to a specific story, so I looked around for more information and shared what I could find. The story I linked was published on Oct 31, and said the city and the developer were still negotiating, so it didn't seem like a done deal yet. Sounds like something will happen, but plans could change depending on the city's response to the developer's request for a much larger TIF. Also, according to the arena website they have the Harlem Globetrotters booked for Dec 29th, so I doubt the building is actually demolished in December.

6. CHRDANHUTCH

uh, it is gone in December whether you believe it or not, care to dispute the Spectrum demolition? point is there's nothing SMG is booking past December, and who's going as a tenant there, royals, certainly not any pro franchise, and VCU has its own campus arena, much like what Norfolk city leaders insisted on in 2000, ever wondered why Hampton Roads regionally has not been used since.

essentially, the Coliseum is not an option going forward at the present location and after years of neglect, what essentially is it used for?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. Jackets Woodchuck

Jackets Woodchuck Registered User

Sounds more like a January demolition, unless it's going to be imploded on the 30th.

8. garnetpalmetto

garnetpalmetto Global Moderator

Maybe it'll be the grand finale of the Globetrotters show on the 29th?

VaCaps Fan likes this.
  9. JMCx4

JMCx4 Gateway to Hockey

I reckon they'll be free to shatter a couple of backboards, then. :popcorn:

VaCaps Fan and garnetpalmetto like this.
  10. PCSPounder

PCSPounder Stadium Groupie

Um, gracious, some people need a lesson.

The Spectrum in Philadelphia was privately owned. Therefore they had fewer hoops to jump through when deciding to dispose of their arena. Even then, I highly doubt that happened without city permitting.

Richmond Coliseum, public ownership. If you think a public body is going to suddenly demolish something without public input or outcry... L-to the freaking-O-to the-L. It simply doesn't work like that.

210 likes this.
  11. CHRDANHUTCH

it's done PCS, WHERE'S THE TENANT FOR SAID ARENA, THEN, since when is Richmond's arena Seattle, I don't see any tenants willing to do what OVG is being paid to do in Seattle

12. garnetpalmetto

garnetpalmetto Global Moderator

I'm not even sure what's being argued here or what, if anything, it has to do with the ECHL at this point. Yes, a former ECHL venue is likely on its last legs, but there's still events on its calendar and there's no talk about it being used for minor league hockey. I think we can table this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.