Richards or Kesler

Status
Not open for further replies.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Rabid Ranger said:
but Kesler produced at the AHL level what Richards did in the OHL. I give the edge to Kesler.

In over 30 more games.

We'll probably all have a better idea next year. I don't know much about Kesler, so I don't think I can compare both, but Richards I feel has a very underrated offensive ability.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
They're both similar players (style wise), but Kesler has a distinct edge in size, and IMO is a better skater. Offensively they're about equal (I guess), but Kesler produced at the AHL level what Richards did in the OHL. I give the edge to Kesler.

And as he's American, it's a slam dunk case for you?

I'll take Richards without the slightest doubt, he has all the intangibles on his side and I'm not convinced Kesler can produce at NHL level.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Pepper said:
I'll take Richards without the slightest doubt, he has all the intangibles on his side and I'm not convinced Kesler can produce at NHL level.

I'm convinced that Kesler can produce at a level much more similar to the NHL than Richards has. Right now Kesler seems like a safer bet but you never know. I really like both players...one grew up cheering for the Jets and the other I've enjoyed watching here in Winnipeg. I have a little bias for each player thus I like them both.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Definitely Kesler. Richards will not be given the time to shine behind all the other good prospects in the Flyers system. Given that he is only 5'10" that is another disadvantage on a team that prefers size. Kesler is going to be a Canuck whenever play starts without a doubt, can the same be said for Richards? Both will make the NHL but for who is the better prospect at this point in time I'd go with Kesler each and every time.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Matt MacInnis said:
Kesler's production this year in the AHL surprised me. I did not expect him to be so successful on the stats sheet. Both are pretty similar, but I really like Richards' intangibles, the leadership, the desire to win, etc.

If you guys would take a look at some kids performance on the ice than just the scouting reports, you may actually see past the hype of Kesler being 'just a grinder' and see that he's got top-6 potential. No elite status, but a solid top line C. He's got the skills.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I_Am_Canadian said:
Definitely Kesler. Richards will not be given the time to shine behind all the other good prospects in the Flyers system. Given that he is only 5'10" that is another disadvantage on a team that prefers size. Kesler is going to be a Canuck whenever play starts without a doubt, can the same be said for Richards? Both will make the NHL but for who is the better prospect at this point in time I'd go with Kesler each and every time.

The Flyers believe that Richards will be one of the Flyers four centers at the start of next year (whenever the hell that is). Carter, Richards, Primeau and Handzus.

Clarke does make it a point to make sure he always has at least two centers with size, but with Primeau, Handzus and Carter, that is more than taken care of.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Both players are going to have great NHL careers, but at this point in time you can't really compare what they have done this year as Richards is a man playing w/ boys and Kesler is a young man playing with older, more experienced men.

In the long run its almost a toss up but for now Kesler as he has proven more at a higher level.

What would Richards stats have been like if he played in the AHL? I don't think he'd have 30 goals and 58 points probably in the 20 goal range and 40-50 points at best.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Pepper said:
And as he's American, it's a slam dunk case for you?

Who said anything about a slam dunk? I said I'd give the EDGE to Kesler because he is much bigger and a better skater. As for the "intangibles" you attribute to Richards, Kesler possesses those as well.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
I won't make a desicion here, because I'd drool to have either prospect in the Flames prospect pool... but I've heard Ricci as a good comparision to Richards, but what about Kesler? Craig Conroy?

Both around the 6'2 mark, both with good fast skating, both reasponsible in their own end, and both have offence that would probably suprise some people.

Kesler is a wider body but each time I've seen him play I'm reminded of Conroy.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MrMastodonFarm said:
I won't make a desicion here, because I'd drool to have either prospect in the Flames prospect pool... but I've heard Ricci as a good comparision to Richards, but what about Kesler? Craig Conroy?

Both around the 6'2 mark, both with good fast skating, both reasponsible in their own end, and both have offence that would probably suprise some people.

Is Richards that big? The Rangers website lists him at 6'0 192 lbs.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Who said anything about a slam dunk? I said I'd give the EDGE to Kesler because he is much bigger and a better skater. As for the "intangibles" you attribute to Richards, Kesler possesses those as well.

No he doesn't, Kesler doesn't have even half of the leadership & grit Richards shows.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I really wanted to say Richards because of the intangibles he brings to the table but I simply can't. I have to go with Kesler. Here is a guy with NHL size and strength who already has NHL games under his belt and is performing well at the AHL level. At this time you can not argue against that. Kesler is playing at a level where many good junior players end up falling on their faces. We really have to wait until Richards and Kesler are playing at the same level before we can make solid conclusions but at this time I go with Kesler.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
AJ1982 said:
I really wanted to say Richards because of the intangibles he brings to the table but I simply can't. I have to go with Kesler. Here is a guy with NHL size and strength who already has NHL games under his belt and is performing well at the AHL level. At this time you can not argue against that. Kesler is playing at a level where many good junior players end up falling on their faces. We really have to wait until Richards and Kesler are playing at the same level before we can make solid conclusions but at this time I go with Kesler.

I agree here.

Richards and Kesler are both nice prospects... at this point though, Kesler has proven what Richards still has to prove - that he can play at the AHL level and be one of the top players on his team doing so.

Kesler has proven this at the AHL... he's proven he's also able to play at the NHL level... he brings almost the same intangibles as Richards does - both are strong defensively... Kesler also brings more size and speed - both factors which helps any player succeed at the NHL level. As far as leadership intangibles that Richards is given, you can't ignore Kesler here entirely either - he did play that role for the US before, and being a 19 YO last year in the AHL (that doesn't generally have players under 20), and then 20 this year and playing at the level he is should also show this guy has some leadership intangibles, if not the character at a young age to play at this level.

Richards may well be the better NHLer... but given what each player has proven so far, I'd have to go with Kesler as well.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I forgot those scouting tools were available to the general public..........

So you're saying that Kesler has more leadership and grit than Richards? I think we can stop right here...

Last edited by a moderator:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

Yeah, Conroy is probably the best comparison for Kesler I've heard. Both tall with RH shots. Kesler may be a bit speedier than Conroy.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I have seen Kesler areound 10 times this year with the Moose. All most every game he did not stand out to me at all, BUT, he has put up some great #'s this year and that can't be ignored. Richards I saw in Grand Forks at the WJC and he was like watching a little Bobby which was quite exciting, would block a shot with his face and not think twice about it. I think Kesler will have a better carreer stats wise, but Richards will be the player that plays like Primeau did in the playoffs this year, pure heart which can carry a team. So in closing, I would take both if I could !

ps

I beleive Richards is leading the OHL in playoff points, ( On a so-so team)is he not. And that fight with Perry, GOLD !

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Pepper said:
So you're saying that Kesler has more leadership and grit than Richards? I think we can stop right here...

I'm gonna refrain from choosing who I think may be better, but I want to make a point or two.

There's no way we can be sure that Richards is a better leader. Unless you're in the dressing room, on the bench, and on the ice with BOTH Kesler and Richards, or have heard multitudes of testimonials about both, you cannot possibly judge. I have a feeling that the fact that Richards plays for Team Canada and Kesler plays for Team USA has a slight bearing on many of your choices. Not saying that Canadian media bashes Kesler - I'm saying that Canadian media trophies Mike Richards. We hear about him a lot more than we hear about Kesler.

In terms of grit - Richards sure has grit for a CHL level. Does that say a lot? It's common knowledge that the AHL is a harder, tougher league, at least physically, than the CHL - all three leagues of it. I'm not sure Richards has the size to be able to dominate physically in the NHL as he does in the CHL. He's not small by any means, but he's not exactly a big man either. I won't commend Richards' grit until I see him in a professional league.

Kesler is faster and larger than Richards. If I had to make an objective decision, I'd choose Kesler based on those two qualities, because that is the only thing with which we can actually generate a legitimate comparison.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Kesler grew up in my town, so if you want to know about his "leadership", PM me.

Also, one point i'd like to make:

Many people keep talking about how Kesler is proving himself in the AHL while Richards is still in the OHL.

Richards can't play in the AHL this year because of the CHL rule. Kesler can because he went the NCAA route.

So tell me, how does anyone know how Richards will do in his 1st year in the AHL? What if he puts up better #'s than Kesler's 1st year? Then will people jump ship on Kesler?

Compare apples to apples.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pepper said:

Richards may have an edge in leadership and grit, but if he's a 10 on those fronts, Kesler is an 8 or 9. Kesler's edge in size and skating is a lot bigger than Richards' edge in grit.

Kesler will be a perennial Selke contender IMO. His combination of size, skating, and ability to pressure the puck is very, very rare. He has the same sort of ability that guys like Lehtinen and Madden do to skate miles and pressure the puck consistently all over the ice, block passing lanes, and frustrate the hell out of the opposition, but while most players who have this ability are smallish waterbugs, Kesler is 6'3". Tack on the offensive ability he showed this year, and you have a guy who'll be a hell of a player in a year or two.

Richards will be a very good player, but I just don't think he has the same upside. When you're not big and you're not a great skater, the transition to pro is not an easy one (ask Maxime Talbot, who was being drooled over on this site a year ago after a similar playoff and WJC, and showing similar character). Richards is better than Talbot, but he'll have the same sort of challenges. I think right now that his character, and how much people admire it, is blinding people a bit to his actual abilities.

It's close, but I'd take Kesler. But I might be a homer.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I have no idea who is or will be better between Richards and Kesler. But I would take Richards over almost any prospect in hockey anywhere (aside from perhaps the super-elite superstar types). I don't have any particularly sane reason for saying that, but it's true nonetheless. (And yes, I would draft him #2 beind Crosby if he re-entered the draft too). He has the warrior mentality that just goes right off the scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad