Richards or Kesler

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yes another one of these threads, but I'm really curious about this. Who do people consider better? People are always raving about Richards, but you never hear anything on Kesler outside the Canucks board. Both are projected as the elite 3rd liner type, future captains, etc. Kesler is 6 months older than Richards, drafted 1 spot ahead of him in the 2003 draft. Richards captained Canada to gold at the world juniors last year, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Kesler accomplished the same feat with the US team two years ago. Richard's is a product of the OHL, where Kesler went the college route, though immediately turned pro after being drafted, playing 28 games for the Canucks and 33 for the Moose in 03-04. Current season stats:

Richards OHL 43-22-36-58
Playoffs 6-?-?-10

Kesler AHL 78-30-28-58
Playoffs 2-1-2-3

So, was it worthwhile drafting Kesler ahead of Richards, who's just overhyped? Or has Richards clearly developed into the better player, earning all the hype he gets? Or are they still close in comparison?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Kesler is the better player....I have seen both play a ton (and Kesler is a Canuck) but I feel he is a better skater, has higher offensive upside, and better size, although that is a lesser advantage.

I would still take Ryan Kesler over Mike Richards without hesitation.

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
DaveyCrockett said:
This is a good comparison. I can't say until they both play a full NHL season.

lol. Okay, then I'm waiting until they've both announced their retirement from the NHL to decide.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
They're both similar players (style wise), but Kesler has a distinct edge in size, and IMO is a better skater. Offensively they're about equal (I guess), but Kesler produced at the AHL level what Richards did in the OHL. I give the edge to Kesler.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Still too early to tell. Career wise, both have accomplished just about the same. If Kesler had been picked 5th overall, then he would've been picked way too high (vice versa for Richards). But since they were picked next to each other, there's just no clear better player right now.

Kesler with 1g 1a in tonight's game! :handclap:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Kesler's production this year in the AHL surprised me. I did not expect him to be so successful on the stats sheet. Both are pretty similar, but I really like Richards' intangibles, the leadership, the desire to win, etc.

I love both prospects, to be honest, they're among my favourites, and its a tough call considering size, but there is something about Richards which I'm really drawn to.

Misos Milakos*

as much as I hate the Flyers, I'd take Richards and wouldn't look back.

Roger's Pancreas*

RandV said:
Richards OHL 43-22-36-58
Playoffs 6-?-?-10

Kesler AHL 78-30-28-58
Playoffs 2-1-2-3

So, was it worthwhile drafting Kesler ahead of Richards, who's just overhyped? Or has Richards clearly developed into the better player, earning all the hype he gets? Or are they still close in comparison?

Richards playoff stats for this year...13GP 11G 14A 25P +12 34PIM

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
pitkanen>bouwmeester said:
They can be a canucks fan and still be able to see who the better player is :handclap: :handclap:
These guys are both very, very young. Until Richards can prove himself at pro (AHL/NHL) level...they are even at best... but skating/size I think would give Kesler the edge.

cj

Jul 17, 2004
I really don't think there's much to choose between these two. Imo, they're going to have very similar careers in the NHL. They're both my favourite kind of player so I'd be happy to have either one. I think I would probably choose Richards at this point because I think he might have higher upside offensively, but it's not that big of a difference.

I do find it interesting however that only a few months ago this was a debate Richards was winning easily. I also recall comments about Kesler having "hands of stone" and a general opinion that he was picked too high. Kesler's production was brought up partway through the AHL season and the comments then were that it was too short of a period to evaluate. So here we are at the end of the season. Are 30 goals, 58 points and the Moose MVP award enough to consider re-evaluating some of those opinions? Just curious. ;)

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
cj said:
I really don't think there's much to choose between these two. Imo, they're going to have very similar careers in the NHL. They're both my favourite kind of player so I'd be happy to have either one. I think I would probably choose Richards at this point because I think he might have higher upside offensively, but it's not that big of a difference.

I do find it interesting however that only a few months ago this was a debate Richards was winning easily. I also recall comments about Kesler having "hands of stone" and a general opinion that he was picked too high. Kesler's production was brought up partway through the AHL season and the comments then were that it was too short of a period to evaluate. So here we are at the end of the season. Are 30 goals, 58 points and the Moose MVP award enough to consider re-evaluating some of those opinions? Just curious. ;)

Not to mention Kesler is also performing in the playoffs. I know who I would rather have...

cj

Jul 17, 2004
^

Well yeah, but so is Richards so that doesn't really set Kesler apart.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Ryan Kesler has 2 goals and 5 points in 3 AHL playoff games and is tied for 4th for AHL scoring in the playoffs (guys like Suter and Gamache have played 4 games). He is definitely playing very well when the chips are down.

Both are very even. Kesler will likely be the better offensive player in the NHL due to his speed while Richards will be the better leader with his courage and willingness to stand up for him team. Defensively, both will be dominant one day.

However, I am still going to take Kesler. He will be marginally better than Richards in the NHL because:
1.) Kesler is a better skater
2.) Kesler is bigger

And Kesler has also played in the AHL and the NHL already.

Last edited:

cj

Jul 17, 2004
Absolutely they're different. But it's the same principle. They're both producing in the big games. I don't think it's fair to hold Richards not being in the AHL against him. Certainly Kesler's proven more, but this thread is about future projections and Richards hasn't had the chance to prove himself at the pro level.

*edit* I guess I should also mention it's only been 3 games for Kesler so far so it might be a bit early to judge that too. But please don't take this as me arguing against Kesler. I'm a big fan of his. I'm just trying to maintain some semblance of objectivity here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->