Richard Panik

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We need a winger. Ferland is better than Panik. We may be scraping the bottom of the bargain barrel again, so I wouldn't rule Panik out. I think they're going to look elsewhere though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Eh you're a lot higher on Fernand than I am. He a more physical Panik as far as I can tell and that doesn't appear to be the plan form our front office based on the moves the last two seasons.
....and that is part of the problem. Overall, we are a soft team. If Fischer did his job I don't think we would be talking about Ferland, but we need some more muscle and Crouse can't do it by himsellf. I think it comes down to what the staff think of Fischer going forward.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
How should i read this graph?

GAR is a composite stat of many numbers like WAR in baseball. Run through a weighted formula of some sort. More = more better. A 0 in GAR is theoretically a replacement level player. Negative is worse than replacement level.

I think it still needs work myself. I like Corsica's WAR and player rankings numbers better if looking for one number to rule them all.

Looking at Panik specifically, he does relatively well in Corsica's number too but not quite as silly as even strength GAR makes it look. Panik really is pretty solid at even strength though as the chart indicates, I just don't think he's as positive as it shows.

EDIT: Another example, there's a number called xGF or expected goals for. I'm assuming GAR uses some sort of number like that as part of its calculation. Expected goals for is how many goals you'd score on average over a certain amount of types shots (wrist, slap, snap, location). So say a shot from 5 feet from the goalie right in front has a 20% chance of going in on league average, If Panik took 5 of those shots in a period his expected goals for would be 1.0. (This is a very basic example I'm not a math guy don't yell at me) But Panik could have shot every single one of those right into the chest so by eye test is "expected goals" is really more like 0. But xGF says it was still good. Stats like this can overlook skill. But it can also be extremely useful if you're looking at say Max Domi who couldn't buy one last season yet broke right back out the next.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad