Richard Panik

Maestro14

Mar 5, 2019
Bratislava
I am really surpiced by comments like he's only good for bottom 6, that he should take 2M/season, that it would be no pain to loose him etc. Come on guys, matter of fact is that he is good enough to play the top 6, to play against top oponent lines, to play good defense too and definitely to deserve his 2,8M without doubt. He may struggle on PP but is still very good on 5vs5 and PK. He can check and play hard, he's got shout. Even if he is cold he is still fine to play 3rd line and PK. If he's hot he can play first line and PP in front of the goalie. Far better player than Duclair which he was traded for. He's a BIG part of the team and if Coyotes made the playoffs Richard-The-Dick-Panik will be one of the reasons why. That's what I think.

Reactions: Pomee and AniNie

hbk

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He's on pace for 40 points, there is no way he gets under 2 million
We will find out in July. Teams typically blow their brains out on high end marquee talent and have scraps to pay bottom 6 guys or they are on a youth movement and don't have a spot for a vet.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Some club that's thin on talent will still take a flyer on him for more than that.
He's got some problems in free agency, though.
I think he's earned his money here, but only because he is getting minutes most teams wouldn't/shouldn't give him. Most teams have more talent and will view him purely as a complimentary piece or insurance piece-- and many of those same teams probably have young players on ELC's they'd rather fill gaps with. He is also well past the "maybe he will become more consistent and breakout" phase.
I'd bet the Ottawa's and Coyotes of the world who need someone to plug into the top six but can't afford to acquire top-six talent will still drive the final price up past 2, though.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's on pace for 40 points, there is no way he gets under 2 million
He's going to end up with 15 goals despite getting fed a career high TOI. I'm not looking up his p/60, but I'm sure it's not very impressive. He was also healthy scratched earlier in the season for effort -- a history that has followed him everywhere.

I'd keep him because we suck and have few other options in the system. He's been real good for us down the stretch, but he's a depth player to most clubs. I can see where hbk is coming from.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Next contract starts with a 1. That's my opinion. He won't be highly sought after.
I think you might be a bit off here, and as much as I like Panik, as a third liner, he like so many players player above their pay grade this year. If the Coyotes are to grow, Panik should be a third liner. Someone mentioned that interest in Panik at TTD was low.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I am really surpiced by comments like he's only good for bottom 6, that he should take 2M/season, that it would be no pain to loose him etc. Come on guys, matter of fact is that he is good enough to play the top 6, to play against top oponent lines, to play good defense too and definitely to deserve his 2,8M without doubt. He may struggle on PP but is still very good on 5vs5 and PK. He can check and play hard, he's got shout. Even if he is cold he is still fine to play 3rd line and PK. If he's hot he can play first line and PP in front of the goalie. Far better player than Duclair which he was traded for. He's a BIG part of the team and if Coyotes made the playoffs Richard-The-Dick-Panik will be one of the reasons why. That's what I think.
That's the problem. Panik should not be a BIG part of the team. As a role player he is fine, but if we make the playoffs it will the players like Kuemper, Chucky, Keller, OEL etc. that carry the team. Because of injuries this year, many players played up a line, Panik was one of those.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Next contract starts with a 1. That's my opinion. He won't be highly sought after.

Well, Oesterle is a precedent for Chayka offering a lower number for UFA contracts. If you're right, then I'd be fine with keeping Panik around at a discount.

hbk

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well, Oesterle is a precedent for Chayka offering a lower number for UFA contracts. If you're right, then I'd be fine with keeping Panik around at a discount.
I think u r looking at a Richardson type scenario where we are able to come in for a 2 year deal at less than $2M per after all the big $ is spent on July 1. He’s hitting free agency. This will have to be slow played and even then if we lose out I’m not losing sleep over it. I’d rather we do some bigger game hunting at this stage. Panik is a plan C or D.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think u r looking at a Richardson type scenario where we are able to come in for a 2 year deal at less than $2M per after all the big $ is spent on July 1. He’s hitting free agency. This will have to be slow played and even then if we lose out I’m not losing sleep over it. I’d rather we do some bigger game hunting at this stage. Panik is a plan C or D.

I'd rather save the money and take a crack at Micheal Ferland if he's available in UFA - he'd be such a huge upgrade.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Taking a look at Capfriendly It's very apparent that most team's are paying two lines and moving to the bottom 2 lines making little more than League minimum. So IMO if you are planning to play Panik below your top 6 you have to sign him to a contract to reflect that. And while right now we might not need that Cap Space if we plan to get better we need it left for players who more deserve it.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Season almost over, time for recap and valuation. How are you satisfied with Richard Panik. Good or bad? Should he stay or he must go?

My answer is the same for virtually all players. If you can make a move that you think will improve your team then do it. Panik's production has been right in line with his career avg. A little below his best season with Chicago. He has essentially performed as expected.

The problem with the Coyotes is that we are loaded with bottom 6 talent. Need to replace some of those guys with top 6 talent.

Reactions: lanky

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like him a little more than most of our other third liners, but they're under contract and he's not, so he's the odd man out.

If we total fail to add some high-end scoring this summer, I'd welcome him back as a Plan B.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Season almost over, time for recap and valuation. How are you satisfied with Richard Panik. Good or bad? Should he stay or he must go?
I’d rather pay Archibald a million than Panik 2.5m. I’d rather allocate that extra 1.5 toward a legit top scorer. Panik represents pricey depth to me. Stepan is already eating up all of that pricey depth money.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’d rather pay Archibald a million than Panik 2.5m. I’d rather allocate that extra 1.5 toward a legit top scorer. Panik represents pricey depth to me. Stepan is already eating up all of that pricey depth money.
I don't think RT considers Stepan and Panik depth players.:)

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
He can leave. It’s a numbers game and we just have too many wingers.

As stated above, if we can’t get a real good piece, I’d be okay bringing him back. But bringing Panik back should be listed about below bringing the nachos back for organizational goals.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He can leave. It’s a numbers game and we just have too many wingers.

As stated above, if we can’t get a real good piece, I’d be okay bringing him back. But bringing Panik back should be listed about below bringing the nachos back for organizational goals.
I’m good with adding a winger. But I want a 6 million dollar winger. We definitely don’t need another 2 million dollar winger.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Keep him because GAR charts say he was our best player this season.

download.png

Reactions: Pomee

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Let's not get carried away, he's a fine player but he's no better than a fill in on the second line. I like Panik for what he is but on our present roster, he's expendable and replaceable. He'll find work, someone will want his secondary scoring but we need a true top 6 winger capable of putting up 30 goals season in and season out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad