Richard Panik

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
I also don’t feel that it is coincidence that the team is 1-1-3 since his arrival. Adding a player with some more experience and more effective than Archibald and Ronaldo seems to have helped stabilize things so far.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There’s a dollar figure that I would consider bringing him back at. It’s much lower than his current AAV though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What are wildly streaky 28 year old wingers who usually end up at about a half a point per game worth in terms of dollars and years on the UFA market? He’s a guy who okay at everything and produces inconsistently game to game but pretty consistently season to season. Not really a big benefit to either specialty team, either. Basically, he’s a five on five guy, or should be. He gets PP time but doesn’t produce.

Main concern: he’s 4th among forwards in TOI/GP. Ideally you’d want him more like 8th. What happens to his production in that scenario?

Reactions: _Del_

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
What are wildly streaky 28 year old wingers who usually end up at about a half a point per game worth in terms of dollars and years on the UFA market?

Too bad he doesn't play baseball. The Phillies would hook him up with big money long term.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
He’s an NHL winger. Not many people in the world get to say that about themselves. He doesn’t really stand out in either direction to me over the course of an entire season. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over him going elsewhere but at the same time, letting him go for nothing in free agency if you can help it is not good asset management.

Reactions: Edenjung

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's fine. He's a legitimate middle -6 guy. He just disappears over long stretches. Probably drives coaches more batty than fans.
He's the same guy he's been since he entered the league. He's good enough to be a complementary forward in the top-six, but you don't really want him there when he's cold. He's been better down the stretch, which I appreciate as it makes me sound like less of a nutter when I defend him. He's never going to put it all together, but we knew that when we got him. Still has value to a club that is both thin in depth and deprived of talent.

Personally, I would resign him warts and all on a short -term deal with zero hesitation. I just want him pushed down the lineup.

Having said all that, I would have resigned him or traded him at the deadline. Fish or cut bait. My sense is that he isn't in the plans next year; so they should have cut bait then, imo.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I pretty much hate his style but the results are fair given the price.

He's like George Costanza's foundation student. "Not showing off, not falling behind."

Reactions: che and sundance74

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Main concern: he’s 4th among forwards in TOI/GP. Ideally you’d want him more like 8th. What happens to his production in that scenario?

If it was mostly his PP time you cut out, he'd actually still be pretty effective because he's one of our better 5 on 5 players. He's getting 2 minutes PP time per game right now but only has 2 points to show for it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If it was mostly his PP time you cut out, he'd actually still be pretty effective because he's one of our better 5 on 5 players. He's getting 2 minutes PP time per game right now but only has 2 points to show for it.
Fair. If you took away all of his PP mins he’d drop from third in ice time among forwards to sixth. If our team was healthy, it’d be even lower. His TOI/GP would drop him to 9th if his 2min pp/GP was taken away. It’d only drop his production by two points this season.

Maybe if he signs cheap enough, he’d be a good keep on the bottom six.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Fair. If you took away all of his PP mins he’d drop from third in ice time among forwards to sixth. If our team was healthy, it’d be even lower. His TOI/GP would drop him to 9th if his 2min pp/GP was taken away. It’d only drop his production by two points this season.

Maybe if he signs cheap enough, he’d be a good keep on the bottom six.

I wouldn’t mind bringing him back. He’s fine as a bottom six winger. He’s also doesn’t get preferential treatment and get fed top six minutes he hasn’t earned because Tocchet doesn’t play favorites nearly as much as SOME other coaches we’ve had have done.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
If he comes back with ~3m per season, i would gladly re-sign him. If it is more than 3,5m aav its no go for me

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Another thing, he's really not good at the power play historically either so I'm not sure why we're giving him so much time there even with the injuries.
Last season he had 6 points with 1.8 minutes per game pp time.

Even in his best season he only had 9 points.

Would probably be better off giving Garland Panik's PP time. Though I'm guessing we often use Panik on the PP not really in a scoring role but more in a HEY YOU GUYS CAN'T KEEP THE PUCK ON YOUR OWN PP role so Tocc sends him in there to sticky it up.

We really have dreck PP personnel in general outside of OEL, Keller, and Galchenyuk. MacLean might suck but there ain't much to work with either. Fischer before he got benched had the exact same minute load on the PP as Panik and has zero points to show for it.

Goligoski was known bad at it coming from Dallas but we still give him minutes at it to be continue to be bad. Oesterle has shown some promise there he should probably get more of those minutes go forward.

Anyway that's probably why he keeps getting time on the PP, cause literally everyone minus 3 players are mediocre to bad at it. If we had landed JVR or land a similar player this offseason it should shake it up.

Reactions: Mosby

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Another thing, he's really not good at the power play historically either so I'm not sure why we're giving him so much time there even with the injuries.
Last season he had 6 points with 1.8 minutes per game pp time.

Even in his best season he only had 9 points.

Would probably be better off giving Garland Panik's PP time. Though I'm guessing we often use Panik on the PP not really in a scoring role but more in a HEY YOU GUYS CAN'T KEEP THE PUCK ON YOUR OWN PP role so Tocc sends him in there to sticky it up.

We really have dreck PP personnel in general outside of OEL, Keller, and Galchenyuk. MacLean might suck but there ain't much to work with either. Fischer before he got benched had the exact same minute load on the PP as Panik and has zero points to show for it.

Goligoski was known bad at it coming from Dallas but we still give him minutes at it to be continue to be bad. Oesterle has shown some promise there he should probably get more of those minutes go forward.

Anyway that's probably why he keeps getting time on the PP, cause literally everyone minus 3 players are mediocre to bad at it. If we had landed JVR or land a similar player this offseason it should shake it up.

We should give Goligoski’s power play time to Hjalmarsson :sarcasm:

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Keep him. Good depth and can do the job. Need more effort on a nightly basis, though.

2 years/2M

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Keep him. Good depth and can do the job. Need more effort on a nightly basis, though.

2 years/2M
Keep him, but as a UFA he gets closer to 2.5-3 mill for 2/3 years. I don't think anyone will get him at 2/2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad