Richard Garneau has passed away

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Finally, after this battle and the news that he was slightly getting better, Mr. Garneau passed away. Immediately after René Lecavalier, Mr. Garneau was the one who made us listen and learn about hockey and its language. But to me he was also an Olympic figure. Will miss to hear his voice and hear about his experience for all those years he's been implicated in the sports scene whether it was hockey and the Olympics. Richard Garneau was the Jean Béliveau of sports commentating.

R.I.P. Mr. Garneau. You so deserve it.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
So sad, ome of the all time greats.... RIP mister Garneau... my francophone Olympics coverage will never be the same....

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Had the chance to interview the man once. And had the chance to give an interview on TV once with him. I remember I froze, couldn't speak. The man was a monument. Sad day.

niftymove

Jul 13, 2010
What a massive loss for Quebec collective memories of Olympic games and hockey.

Respect to the family...

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Was hoping for the best but expecting the worst since I heard he had been hospitalized. Sad news. It was a privilege growing up listening to Radio-Canada's hockey broadcast with Richard Garneau, René Lecavalier, Lionel Duval and Gilles Tremblay.

The man was a giant. No one could do Olympics like him. No one ever will.

Reposez en paix, monsieur Garneau.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Hearing Gilles Tremblay's voice right now on RDI.....

Sad about Garneau but the mention of Gilles Tremblay reminds me of what a fine two-way hockey player he was. In the early 1960s, after The Rocket retired and Boom Boom had tailed off, he played LW on a line with Jean Béliveau and Claude Provost that could shut down Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita. Later, he played on a line with Henri Richard and Bobby Rousseau that was fun to watch. He ended his hockey career prematurely because of chronic bronchitis--probably the result of cigarette smoking,\.

Valois

Feb 12, 2012
Ottawa
I had the pleasure of meeting him once. Totally classy, and obviously very well spoken. Sad to hear of his passing.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Another Icon passed away he along with the names above must have seen a lot of stanley cup parades.we can only hope to see more in the future

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
He'll be sorely missed!

It was always pleasant to listen to his vast knowledge during the Olympics broadcast. He would always the long parade of the athletes into something interesting. His class and his respect for athletes were second to none.

Until Sunday, he was a living chapter of Quebec's history just like Yvon Deschamps, Gilles Vigneault, Jean Béliveau and Leonard Cohen.

I'm looking forward to see how the Habs will honor his memory tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->