Rich Hofmann -- Nothing positive ahead

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by John Flyers Fan, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. John Flyers Fan

John Flyers Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/10920327.htm

SAD IS NOT the right word - it is more like flabbergasted. Because, through all of this, it seemed impossible that the NHL and its union could be so blind, so stupid. Watching the television yesterday afternoon, I thought for sure that NHL public relations director Frank Brown would come out and say that last-minute negotiations had delayed the news conference that had been called to cancel the season.

But then Gary Bettman stepped to the podium and spoke. It was 1 o'clock, almost straight up; historians will note that the executioner was prompt. The NHL commissioner faces infamy now, and he seems to know it. And for the first time in public, Bettman looked scared.

2. The Maltais Falcon

The Maltais Falcon Registered User

He didn't look scared to me - saddened, maybe even a little embarassed, but not scared.

3. mooseOAK*

mooseOAK* Guest

In contrast to Goodenow who looked neither saddened nor embarassed, a true sociopath.

4. chiavsfan

chiavsfan Registered User

Radio News Director
    Home Page:
    Dont worry about the things that JohnFlyersFan picks and chooses to make Bettman look bad. Read the Boston Globe article from the other thread...it sums up the whole thing

5. John Flyers Fan

John Flyers Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    If you actually would read the article, you'd see that it was neither pro-player or pro-owner.

6. chiavsfan

chiavsfan Registered User

Radio News Director
    Home Page:
    I have read each and every article you have put up here...i read the ARTICLE...you put the stuff on the screen that rips Bettman...you should just put up the link or the whole article if your claiming to be objective

7. GKJ

GKJ Global Moderator

good job reading the article, chief. It doesn't even mention an argument for both sides.

8. Digger12

Digger12 Gold Fever

Technical Analyst
    I'd say it was a fair article. The owners have lost and will continue to lose a lot, but their future isn't nearly as dire as the one the players now have to face.

Unless some miracle league springs forth and feels like throwing around money at a greater rate than 42.5M/yr per team next year, they are in big trouble.

And no, a league with Bobby Hull and Phil Esposito as its figureheads isn't going to cut it...not even remotely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.