RICCARDO ORSOLINI - The new Maradona?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
You made a thread just for a guy playing in the Italian second division suggesting he's comparable to one of the best players ever? Ok.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Lmao. Let's not hype a talented kid who's stil very raw. He's being hyped right now because he was bought by Juve. But historically Italy haven't produced too many top wingers.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Good technique and great dribbling skills and... that's it.

Just for fun and to compare, Messi did this in his 1st La Liga game at 17 years old:

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Dude, Maradona at 19yo would already be the best player in Italy maybe in the world... this kid has what 3 goals in 40 games in Italian second division?

He could become the new Ricardo Quaresma, though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Dude, when Maradona came to Europe at age 22, he wasn't even the best player on his team.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Dude, when Maradona came to Europe at age 22, he wasn't even the best player on his team.

I mean, who's the best player in Italy today? Dybala? the talent level today isn't even close to what it used to be. Can't say about his time in Barcelona as it was way before my time... but he still scored a lot there even though he had quite a bit of injury and off-field problems.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think he meant in Italy, which is an obvious truth.

Relatively maybe, but football in general is just tougher now. Better coaching, better training, more video, better nutrition, more money/investment, more dedicated time, and a higher number of players playing with more exposure all points to a higher level of play.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And technique back then was MUCH better. MUCH MUCH better.
Get a tape of that France/Brazil game in WC 86. It's crazy the level of technique in that match.
Of course, players were nowhere near as athletic as they are now. They often jog, rarely sprint and usually walk. But when they have the ball.... wow...

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
And technique back then was MUCH better. MUCH MUCH better.
Get a tape of that France/Brazil game in WC 86. It's crazy the level of technique in that match.
Of course, players were nowhere near as athletic as they are now. They often jog, rarely sprint and usually walk. But when they have the ball.... wow...

It's far easier to do spectacular things with the ball when you're standing still rather than running or physically exerting yourself in some way. I don't think the gap in technique is as big as you think it is. Maybe there are a lot more players who get by on athleticism than technique, but overall I don't think the technical level has changed a lot.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think it has changed.
Plenty of players are here because they're quick, or powerful, and adept technically.
Back then, few players weren't great technically. Look at the missed passes now.
While I agree that they had more time, etc.... the average technical level has IMO got down.
Just look at last Euro or WC.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Eh...I'm with DM; I don't think that the average technical level has gone down. It's probably better, but it's just harder to show it in games because there's so much less time on the ball and coaches are becoming more structured and team oriented etc.

I mean you watch pretty much any player in training and they can do some pretty nice stuff that they'd never try in a game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I see this said a lot about every professional sport, that the skill level isn't what it used to be. I don't think the skill level of the best players is much different than it was a couple decades ago, but the big difference is the level of athleticism that is required to be a professional athlete, and the gap between the top players and the bottom players is dramatically smaller than it used to be in professional sports.

The overall skill level and athleticism has skyrocketed in pro sports over the last couple decades, so much more parity than there used to be because the training methods are so much better.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I may be a fan of an EPL side, but I like to think I'm relatively realistic about where the Premier League stands in relation to the other leagues in Europe. The Premier League is absolutely a better league than Serie A right now.

Maybe better but Serie A is probably the most entertaining league in Europe atm tbh no second fiddle in that department.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Relatively maybe, but football in general is just tougher now. Better coaching, better training, more video, better nutrition, more money/investment, more dedicated time, and a higher number of players playing with more exposure all points to a higher level of play.

Don't get me wrong, I was talking about the talent level in Serie A, not that the game was better back then or anything else. For example, Moise Kean is 16y and almost everyone who follows the sport knows about him. So a prospect as talented as Maradona wouldn't be as obscure as Orsolini, especially in Italy. I may have used too much of hyperbole but that was the point I was trying to make there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->