Prospect Info: RHD Calen Addison - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
wasnt pouliot always thought of as being particularly good at walking the blue line on the pp at least until he got to the ahl/nhl?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
wasnt pouliot always thought of as being particularly good at walking the blue line on the pp at least until he got to the ahl/nhl?
Pouliot is an interesting comparison, he was good at moving the puck up ice and distributing it but his shot selection and execution was poor even at lower levels. Probably not as good of a skater as Addison either, though he has a size advantage. At 6’0” you can probably get by with average skating but at Addison’s size it needs to be close to elite in my opinion.

Pouliot was a reach at 8 but still a good prospect.. but hit a point of stagnation in his 2nd and 3rd pro seasons. There was just no growth, if anything there was a regression in his overall game for whatever reason.

Reactions: cookthebooks

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I know this is an overly serious and pedantic response to a post that is broadly correct in its sentiment (although I don't see many bad packages involving our best players), but there's a search function and it allows one to see quickly that only six posts in this forum have mentioned both Addison and Toffoli on this forum, and none have advocated that as a trade.

And I am overly serious and pedantic, so I will make that response.

I get it!! It was a joke/jab that didn't land as intended. Please don't make this place like Reddit though ffs.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Meant this sub-forum only. Although I'd have laughed if you'd found someone saying it in the Trade Forum.

Pouliot is an interesting comparison, he was good at moving the puck up ice and distributing it but his shot selection and execution was poor even at lower levels. Probably not as good of a skater as Addison either, though he has a size advantage. At 6’0” you can probably get by with average skating but at Addison’s size it needs to be close to elite in my opinion.

Pouliot was a reach at 8 but still a good prospect.. but hit a point of stagnation in his 2nd and 3rd pro seasons. There was just no growth, if anything there was a regression in his overall game for whatever reason.

I forget who it was who said they'd heard Pouliot basically didn't put the work in until far too late in his AHL career, but it really does seem the simplest explanation of what happened to him.

I get it!! It was a joke/jab that didn't land as intended. Please don't make this place like Reddit though ffs.

I will make this place a land unto which Reddit is like a heaven. All hail the Fact Police!

:sarcasm:

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Most definitely not as good a skater as Addison and I agree about the shot selection being a problem. The big thing with their size difference is that Pouliot is heavier. Addison is slight on top of being shorter.

Pouliot had a weird development curve where he fell off the rails in that 15-16 preseason. It was a clear oh shit point with him as a prospect. He had problems that I think were always going to be limiting factors, but the nhl potential died.

Reactions: Jacob

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I see Pouliot has played 2 games this year. One against the Pens getting 6 mins and one more getting 10 mins

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Most definitely not as good a skater as Addison and I agree about the shot selection being a problem. The big thing with their size difference is that Pouliot is heavier. Addison is slight on top of being shorter.

Pouliot had a weird development curve where he fell off the rails in that 15-16 preseason. It was a clear oh **** point with him as a prospect. He had problems that I think were always going to be limiting factors, but the nhl potential died.

15-16? No. He was a solid D during our great point run. Issue was we then acquired Schultz and it basically ruined Pouliot.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
15-16? No. He was a solid D during our great point run. Issue was we then acquired Schultz and it basically ruined Pouliot.

I’m pretty sure 15-16 was the preseason from hell and he got jumped by schultz fresh out of Edmonton in the depth chart. Looking back, I think 16-17 was when he was purely brutal in the NHl, though. 15-16 he’d stopped doing anything interest offensively, which was his bread and butter. It was the turning point.

I do wonder if he was a player Sullivan hated. He was terrible by the end but I doubt Sullivan liked that kind of terrible.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I’m pretty sure 15-16 was the preseason from hell and he got jumped by schultz fresh out of Edmonton in the depth chart. Looking back, I think 16-17 was when he was purely brutal in the NHl, though. 15-16 he’d stopped doing anything interest offensively, which was his bread and butter. It was the turning point.

I do wonder if he was a player Sullivan hated. He was terrible by the end but I doubt Sullivan liked that kind of terrible.

Sullivan put him in over Schultz in the Caps series when Maatta got injured.

15-16 he had 7 assists at ES in 22 games. He was playing 15 mins a night. Honestly, I think a lot of us were happy with him.

People were pissed because we didn’t play him over Scuderi from what I remember.

Cole - Letang
Maatta - Lovejoy
Dumo - Scuderi

Who was Pooh supposed to knock out of that group retrospectively?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I do recall some rumblings of the team not being happy with the shape he showed up to camp in one year, and it wasn’t the first time or something.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Sullivan put him in over Schultz in the Caps series when Maatta got injured.

15-16 he had 7 assists at ES in 22 games. He was playing 15 mins a night. Honestly, I think a lot of us were happy with him.

People were pissed because we didn’t play him over Scuderi from what I remember.

Maatta - Letang
Lovejoy - Cole
Dumo - Scuderi

Who was Pooh supposed to knock out of that group retrospectively?

Maybe I’m remembering wrong. I think for awhile he was more of a solid player but less of an OFD he was supposed to be and he never recaptured the offensive promise from early in his first season. I still think 15-16 preseason was the turning point. He was abysmal, Sullivan’s first introduction was him after that and then they got Schultz. Schultz saw playoff action before Pouliot in that run and was the one they turned to later. Schultz also played as a regular in the RS games over pouliot.

People were pissed they didn’t play Adam f***ing clendening over scuderi. I think we’re lucky we never had to watch Sullivan with scuderi.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Maybe I’m remembering wrong. I think for awhile he was more of a solid player but less of an OFD he was supposed to be and he never recaptured the offensive promise from early in his first season. I still think 15-16 preseason was the turning point. He was abysmal, Sullivan’s first introduction was him after that and then they got Schultz. Schultz saw playoff action before Pouliot in that run and was the one they turned to later. Schultz also played as a regular in the RS games over pouliot.

People were pissed they didn’t play Adam ****ing clendening over scuderi. I think we’re lucky we never had to watch Sullivan with scuderi.

Sullivan was Pouliot’s AHL coach when he got drunk on Halloween bruh.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh that was about Pouliot.
Damn it.
giphy.gif

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I do recall some rumblings of the team not being happy with the shape he showed up to camp in one year, and it wasn’t the first time or something.

There was a weird time when people were really happy he finally got in shape... for the 16-17 season. There was an article or two that implied that it was the first he was committed to it. His terrible preseason had some rumblings that he’d shown up expecting to make the team and did no work, and JR was pissed because they were counting on him. Iirc, there was a picture of him during the 2016 run where he was heavy, too.

I haven’t seen anything about Addison having anything like those problems.

Sullivan was Pouliot’s AHL coach when he got drunk on Halloween bruh.

Ah, yes. That gem.

Reactions: Peat and Jacob

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Pouliot was seen as a guy who had a craftiness to his game where he could feel the game offensively. Pouliot had issues with hockey sense, he wasn't fast, and his shot wasn't particularly good.

We will always talk about that pick. It was the wrong pick the moment it occurred. It is still the wrong pick now. Luckily we still won a couple of Cups afterwards.

Addison is markedly better at skating than Pouliot, and I think he's a lot more agile in his transitions. I do know a big difference between Pouliot and Addison is the IQ and situational awareness. I remember reading when Addison was drafted, he has the ability to know when and where to jump in and has a "live to fight another day" mentality, but will pinch when he has the chance.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There was a weird time when people were really happy he finally got in shape... for the 16-17 season. There was an article or two that implied that it was the first he was committed to it. His terrible preseason had some rumblings that he’d shown up expecting to make the team and did no work, and JR was pissed because they were counting on him. Iirc, there was a picture of him during the 2016 run where he was heavy, too.

I haven’t seen anything about Addison having anything like those problems.

Ah, yes. That gem.
Worst thing I’ve heard about Addison is him getting bumped to the 3rd pair in Lethbridge because his D zone play wasn’t up to par but it was shortlived and his play improved. In interviews he sounds extremely mature.. no short, canned answers, very thoughtful ones.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Worst thing I’ve heard about Addison is him getting bumped to the 3rd pair in Lethbridge because his D zone play wasn’t up to par but it was shortlived and his play improved. In interviews he sounds extremely mature.. no short, canned answers, very thoughtful ones.

And that’s not surprising. His defensive game and consistent interest in it were always concerns. That’s likely going to be a process to get to something reliable enough regardless of maturity. From what I saw of his WJC, it’s the same thing you’d see with Daley and Schultz, the real problem area is when a cycle gets started and they’re pinned in. His skating should help avoid some of those situations, though.

I’m not sure he’s made much improvement on his weaknesses and that’s concerning. Every time I’ve seen him, he still looks like he needs to add strength and if that does improve, it won’t happen in his juniors time. He and POJ will form a little club down there. The other thing is that this season an undrafted D has outproduced him. His numbers have held steady since his draft season; on one hand, he’s been steady through the team not being as good, but on the other he hasn’t improved. The good is that he obviously performed under pressure in the WJC this year.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I only watched a couple of the games and only small segments, but I can’t recall him being on the ice for more than 1 GA. Is there someway to figure that out?

The only advanced stats I have are how many pucks were stopped by TSN cameras.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad