Prospect Info: RHD Calen Addison - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Will he be on Team Canada for the world juniors this year?

Would take an absolutely insane start to his season to be considered.

The one thing working for Addison here is that Team Canada won't have any returning D-man from the past WJC and from 2017 draft only real options to their defense are Pierre-Olivier Joseph (LD), Josh Brook (RD) and Ian Mitchell (RD).

Dobson and Bouchard should be favorites for the top-2 RD spots but Addison should have atleast a good chance to compete against guys like Brook, Mitchell and the ones from this years draft class (Bernard-Docker, Merkley etc.).

Not sure if any 17 year olds are in consideration though.

Reactions: 99664987

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
One fat guy, two medium guys, one skinny guy. That's the blueprint for Ice Hockey success.
I prefer 2 fatties + 2 meddies, skinnies are just too fragile to be worthy imo.

Seriously though, 2 great 2nd rounder picks by Pens org. Looking forward to see them graduate.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Addison made the WJC team! So stoked for him.

Hopefully he sticks it out if they decide to take Dobson.

Would think Drysdale would be the one let go if Dobson is released, but I’m not sure. If we’re being honest Drysdale is probably already the better player than Addison.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Thing is, they used to say that about Derrick Pouliot, too.

Because it’s different to do it at lower levels. If he wasn’t doing it, you’d be worried. Pouliot isn’t an NHL player but he is productive in the AHL and did very well in juniors.

One noteworthy difference between Addison and Pouliot is Addison’s skating. That’s a difference is locked in unless Addison has an injury he doesn’t recover from.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Would think Drysdale would be the one let go if Dobson is released, but I’m not sure. If we’re being honest Drysdale is probably already the better player than Addison.

Drysdale was really good today.
My top 3 were Drysdale, Addison and Byram.

The big ice really suits Calen cuz he's a smart player that sees the ice well. Think it's a little easier for him to defend on the bigger ice at this level as well vs the smaller NA ice.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I never thought Pouliot was a particularly smart hockey player.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Pouliot had the potential to be better than he was. He showed it some of that first year. He just couldn't maintain or grow.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Pouliot had the potential to be better than he was. He showed it some of that first year. He just couldn't maintain or grow.

I lived with a Winterhawk scout. He thought he could get to Letang’s level. Didn’t seem to have the drive though. He was so much more skilful in juniors and even AHL that he seemed to not to be pushed. The NHL just became too “hard” and he didn’t have it in him to push through it.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I heard he wasn’t exactly known as a hard worker as everything came easily for him until the NHL.

Apparently drove the Pens brass nuts.

He was definitely a beast in juniors though, but Addison is who he is and DP is who he is.

DP busting has nothing to do with Addison.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The weird thing about Pouliot is that, with hindsight and all, his offensive skills really weren’t anything to write home about. Skating is meh, his shot is a muffin and he couldn’t even get it through traffic anyway. Certainly not good at defending. His game was his ability to pass and distribute the puck but jesus... 1 single tool in the toolbox isn’t worth an 8th overall pick.

Hard to compare Addison, if he makes out like Pouliot that actually won’t be that bad for a 2nd. What I see in Addison is offensive skills that are mostly pretty simplistic, he doesn’t thread needles on passes and he’s mostly just trying to get shots through and quickly. I guess his upside might be like Vatanen or Spurgeon.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The weird thing about Pouliot is that, with hindsight and all, his offensive skills really weren’t anything to write home about. Skating is meh, his shot is a muffin and he couldn’t even get it through traffic anyway. Certainly not good at defending. His game was his ability to pass and distribute the puck but jesus... 1 single tool in the toolbox isn’t worth an 8th overall pick.

Hard to compare Addison, if he makes out like Pouliot that actually won’t be that bad for a 2nd. What I see in Addison is offensive skills that are mostly pretty simplistic, he doesn’t thread needles on passes and he’s mostly just trying to get shots through and quickly. I guess his upside might be like Vatanen or Spurgeon.

I think that was a killer for him. An OFD PPQB who couldn’t figure out how to get his shot through. D don’t need a cannon to be effective from the point but it’s got to get on net and a player like him needed that in his arsenal. Him not being able to do that sums him up well and his warts got exposed in the NHL. Not smart enough, not mobile enough and not hard working enough. Very few players will have enough going for them to overcome that trinity of flaws. The IQ didn’t become apparent until the NHL exposure and it killed what he theoretically brought.

Addison will benefit from his mobility in ways Pouliot couldn’t and I think that’s a key difference. Including finding ways to get his shot through. Other things could sink him but skating can make up for a lot and buy players time.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
There has never been a single Penguins fan who has said they would trade Addison for Toffoli.

I don't have proof. Do you separate "fans" from posters?

I know for a FACT Addison and/or our 1st and/or Poulin and/or Legare has been included for some bunk packages

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
The idea of adding Poulin or Addison to a package is to get a top six wing solution with term like Palms, Saad or Zucker and maybe with retention.

My dudes...i wasn't meaning "this forum is stuuuupid and the proposals are whack!!!"

I was just pointing out how SOME proposals have included some of our goods for and serious junk. (Again I have no proof but I feel like I've read some)

The Zuckers/Saads of the world is a different story.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I know this is an overly serious and pedantic response to a post that is broadly correct in its sentiment (although I don't see many bad packages involving our best players), but there's a search function and it allows one to see quickly that only six posts in this forum have mentioned both Addison and Toffoli on this forum, and none have advocated that as a trade.

And I am overly serious and pedantic, so I will make that response.

Reactions: Jacob

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I know this is an overly serious and pedantic response to a post that is broadly correct in its sentiment (although I don't see many bad packages involving our best players), but there's a search function and it allows one to see quickly that only six posts in this forum have mentioned both Addison and Toffoli on this forum, and none have advocated that as a trade.

And I am overly serious and pedantic, so I will make that response.

Search Results for Query: addison toffoli | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad