HF Habs: RFA: Armia (Signed) ; Hudon (Signed) ; Lehkonen (Signed) ; McCarron (Unsigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Just a reminder that extending the qualifying offer simply retains his rights...Hudon doesn't have to accept it.

That's why i don't think it was as dumb as i first thought.

I think the plan is for him to refuse it....so that Bergevin doesn't look like the big bad guy who let go of the poor poor little local boy who cried at the end of the season.

Hudon can still take it but he knows he won't play much anyway, and he wants to play that's for sure.
Hudon did put his house for sale like 3 weeks ago.

Reactions: Fixxer

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm really not all that sure Hudon can get better than a two way deal elsewhere TBH. There's a lot of Hudons out there you know. I guess Tampa could always give him something more tangible, they seem to love our sloppy seconds.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's not a confirmation, so I labeled it a Rumor. But according to Mario Langlois, the Habs have extended a qualifying offer to Charles Hudon.

Confirmed by Hudon's agent Alain Roy, according to this other "langue" guy, Langdeau from 98.5FM.

Still not official since the Habs have not made an announcement.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's why i don't it was as dumb as i first thought.

I think the plan is for him to refuse it....so that Bergevin doesn't look like the big bad guy who let go of the poor poor little local boy who cried at the end of the season.

Hudon can still take it but he knows he won't play much anyway, and he wants to play that's for sure.
I hinted as much in another thread...I wouldn't put it past this organization to do this kind of public consumption move.

Hudon will either reject it, as he should IMO.

Or he'll accept it and try to fight for a spot on the team.

Either way...I don't see the downside in the Habs doing this.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
That's why i don't it was as dumb as i first thought.

Would be extremely stupid for Hudon to refuse. He would not be able to play, unless someone aquired his rights from us.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I hinted as much in another thread...I wouldn't put it past this organization to do this kind of public consumption move.

Hudon will either reject it, as he should IMO.

Or he'll accept it and try to fight for a spot on the team.

Either way...I don't see the downside in the Habs doing this.

Hudon should be smart enough to understand the move....it's a public relation move more than anything. He has zero chances to make the line-up, even with injuries. He won't even make it through camp, too many better wingers than him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hudon should be smart enough to understand the move....it's a public relation move more than anything. He has zero chances to make the line-up, even with injuries. He won't even make it through camp, too many better wingers than him.
Still some things to consider for him though...

Do you reject it and risk/hope you get a better offer as a free agent after the year you just had?

Doubtful he gets a 1 way deal from another team.

Maybe if he accepts his qualifying offer, he comes to camp and surprises or worst case...gets waived and then picked up by a team that wants him.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Would be extremely stupid for Hudon to refuse. He would not be able to play, unless someone aquired his rights from us.

If he refuse, he'll still be RFA but then Bergevin can let him go without looking like the guy who just throw him off the bus.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Better be a 2 way contract.

he should accept it.... we will try to sign him to a 2way deal...

I don't think you guys understand what a two-way deal is.

A player on a two-way deal still has to clear waivers.

The only difference between a two-way and one-way deal is that a player on a two-way deal has different salaries depending on playing in the NHL/AHL.

And no player of Hudon's caliber ever signs a two-way deal past their rookie contract.

Reactions: Edgy

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec

Do you reject it and risk/hope you get a better offer as a free agent after the year you just had?

Maybe if he accepts his qualifying offer, he comes to camp and surprises or worst case...gets waived and then picked up by a team that wants him.

Yeah that would make the most sense for him. If nobody picks him up he still gets to stay in Montreal/Laval which should be enticing to him too. Better to play in the AHL close to home then somewhere else I would say.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

But doesn't he remain Montreal's property if he refuses to sign as a RFA? If so, he cannot sign a contract with another team until we trade our rights or until they expire. Isn't that so?

Reactions: JD Lagrange

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

The only difference between a two-way and one-way deal is that a player on a two-way deal has different salaries depending on playing in the NHL/AHL.

And no player of Hudon's caliber ever signs a two-way deal past their rookie contract.

So waht you're saying is that if he signs,it counts against the cap?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
He's on the wrong team to be a small forward, Habs have too many.

I don't know what the right team would be but he needs to fill some type of role well if he will ever be a fulltime NHL player.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

I understand it lol.

I don't see how Hudon will not accept his QO because there's no way he has a spot on this team next year. I think we would like to keep him for Laval... maybe sign him to a 700 000 one way deal and send him to Laval anyway but I think we will try with the 2 way contract.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If he refuse, he'll still be RFA but then Bergevin can let him go without looking like the guy who just throw him off the bus.
I'd risk saying that Bergevin isn't losing any sleep over the public perception of his handling of Charles frigging Hudon. He extended his rights in an off chance he can get something for him, or to bolster the AHL team if no one's interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad