Speculation: RFA’s who might not get qualified

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
3rd time's the charm? Nope, still not arguing over depth players
What?? Stastney has been developing nicely and is clearly ready for the jump(he's actually up with the Preds now) There is literally nothing to argue about. There is zero chance he won't be qualified

Reactions: DaveG

Ledge And Dairy

What?? Stastney has been developing nicely and is clearly ready for the jump(he's actually up with the Preds now) There is literally nothing to argue about. There is zero chance he won't be qualified
Cool, it was a quick list for the general fanbase based on who was eligible for arbitration but wasn't playing in a clearly defined role, and I really don't care to argue over every specific name. Stop being so defensive on your depth player. If he's qualified great, if not oh well. I clearly stated in my post that some of the players were debatable, and then even put "maybe" next to him specifically. 99% of fans have probably never heard of him.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Cool, it was a quick list for the general fanbase based on who was eligible for arbitration but wasn't playing in a clearly defined role, and I really don't care to argue over every specific name. Stop being so defensive on your depth player. If he's qualified great, if not oh well. I clearly stated in my post that some of the players were debatable, and then even put "maybe" next to him specifically. 99% of fans have probably never heard of him.
I'm not being "defensive" I'm informing you of the actual facts of the situation. You know, the kind of thing you might exepct when you post something that's inaccurate(I'm guessing g you've been on hf long enough this isn't a first for you). All that was required from you was to read my post, accept it, and move on, and yet you posted some incomprehensible gibberish about "3rd time is charmed".

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Coughlan will be one to watch on the Canes. Had some NHL time in the past but doesn't seem to be in the Canes plans. May still be qualified simply to have some AHL depth since it sounds like a resolution of the affiliate situation is soon to be announced.

Ledge And Dairy

I'm not being "defensive" I'm informing you of the actual facts of the situation. You know, the kind of thing you might exepct when you post something that's inaccurate(I'm guessing g you've been on hf long enough this isn't a first for you). All that was required from you was to read my post, accept it, and move on, and yet you posted some incomprehensible gibberish about "3rd time is charmed".
Because you are literally the 3rd Preds fan to argue with me over him in this thread. I took the time going through every team so that we didn't have 30+ posts about each individual teams RFA's. So I might have gotten 1 or 2 wrong. It's really not that big a deal that I need to be corrected by so many fans. If he does get qualified and signed it will be a 1 or 2 year deal max to see how he performs on a bigger sample size and then we might just see the same situation next year.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
There's a bunch of players in the AHL but going through NHL teams here's the names I can see from their main rosters that are debatable or likely not qualified. Pretty much only players with arb rights.

Anaheim: the ones posted above by MMC
Los Angeles: Lizotte (cap reasons if at all), Grundstrom
San Jose: Studnicka
Seattle: Yamamoto

Chicago: Johnson, Anderson, Entwistle (maybe)
Dallas: Dellandrea
Minnesota: Shaw, Chisholm
Nashville: Anderson-Dolan, Stastney (maybe)
Winnipeg: Gustafsson, Stanley

Columbus: Nylander (he's producing now but small sample size)
New Jersey: N. Foote
Pittsburgh: Bemstrom (hard to say with this team since they so desperately need youth)

Boston: Boqvist
Buffalo: Bryson, Clague
Detroit: Veleno (probably not, I think they try to trade him instead)
Florida: Mahura
Montreal: Ylonen
Ottawa: Katchouk
Tampa Bay: Brown

Stastney will sign, lol.

Am I doing this right?

PS- the rights to Bryson and Clague can be had for a slightly crushed pack of chips-a-hoy. The 4 pack, not the 6, for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Flyers only have 2. Yegor Zamula and Carter Hart. Hart is obvious, and I'd hope they work on a deal for Zamula. After next season is when it'll get interesting.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
There's a bunch of players in the AHL but going through NHL teams here's the names I can see from their main rosters that are debatable or likely not qualified. Pretty much only players with arb rights.

As much of a feel good story Mason Shaw is, I can definitely see him not getting QOed. Either Mike or Joe at the Athletic made reference to it being a possibility.

Chisholm, on the other hand, would surprise me. With the underwhelming development of our defensive prospects and Jon Merrill taking the #6D spot next to Bogo. That's not great blueline depth. Wild better tender him.

While Bogosian looked pretty good and held his own for the most part when put in a top4 role, I still worry about his decline. He has engaged in a lot of kinetic energy over his career, when does the body breakdown begin and how steep?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Because you are literally the 3rd Preds fan to argue with me over him in this thread. I took the time going through every team so that we didn't have 30+ posts about each individual teams RFA's. So I might have gotten 1 or 2 wrong. It's really not that big a deal that I need to be corrected by so many fans. If he does get qualified and signed it will be a 1 or 2 year deal max to see how he performs on a bigger sample size and then we might just see the same situation next year.
Stop being so defensive about 1 mistake you made in your nice list, maybe? There is no "maybe" attached to Stastney, we are simply informing you (and the rest of the readers) about that. You're right that it's not a big deal... until you seem inclined to make it into one? Just accept the additional information provided gracefully and move on next time, perhaps? :dunno:

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
The Panthers have 3 RFAs.

Anton Lundell (he's an integral piece in the lineup)
Josh Mahura (likely qualified, but depends on arbitration and the number they come in at)
Evan Cormier (probably won't be qualified)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
There are only three RFA's that I would think are consideration for not being qualified for Columbus:

Jake Bean (QO in excess of $2.3MM)
Tyler Angle (Depth forward in AHL and CBJ needs to move bodies for others to develop)
Marcus Bjork (CBJ blue line in AHL already overcrowded and add Mateychuk next year)

I would think all other CBJ RFA's get qualifying offers. I noted Nylander on the thread earlier. He's an easy yes to qualify. Cheap and worth bringing back on a 1 year deal to see if even half his game was real. He was very good in all three zones after coming over. Small sample but worth a qualifying offer for CBJ.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Always thought Lundestrom could be another Elias Lindholm or at least Backlund. Seems to have been stuck by losing time to injuries.
How was Vaakanainen this season? Didn't do much aside from stat watch him. +/- 0 with the Ducks this season seems pretty solid. (Yes I know. +/-)

Hopefully the B's resign Boqvist. Really like him in the bottom 6.

Swayman will be re-signed

Mitchell & Bussi are the other remaining RFA's in the AHL I hope the B's sign.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How was Vaakanainen this season? Didn't do much aside from stat watch him. +/- 0 with the Ducks this season seems pretty solid. (Yes I know. +/-)

Realistically, Ana needs an upgrade over both Vaak and Lindstrom since they will have Zellweger, Mintyukov, Lacombe on D next season. Mintyukov was a surprise at 19 making the NHL and playing as well as he did. Zell spent most of his first pro year in the A which he should. Now, the Ducks need higher quality vets for them, so depending on the price tag/arbitration case, up to the Ducks to see if the numbers make sense for 2 guys who are not likely in the starting lineup on opening day. More 7/8 guys now assuming they can bring in a good vet so that each kid gets paired with one.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Sharks' RFAs:

Probably will resign - Luke Kunin, Ty Emberson

Probably will release - Filip Zadina, Jack Studnicka, Calen Addison, Jacob Peterson, Brandon Coe

Kunin is an alternate captain and wound up promoted to 2C (no wonder we were so bad). He hits guys, fights, and very occasionally scores a goal, which is all pretty much the hockey definition of "plays the game the right way," so I suspect he comes back, maybe something like $3M/3 yrs.

Emberson was arguably our most effective defenseman when he was healthy, and he should be quite cheap (close to minimum, probably one year).

Addison is just abominable defensively, and doesn't actually offer much of anything offensively. We already have Matt Benning under contract, who is also awful but can do basically the same thing. Addison kept getting thrown out of games at the end of the year. I think he's gone.

Zadina gradually fell further down the lineup, he's not much of a scorer, and that's the only thing he actually provides. He's not "hard to play against," and we can replace him internally with guys who might have more of a future (like Gushchin or maybe Musty).

Studnicka is just an AHL forward. Maybe we keep him on a near-minimum deal and waive him, but I don't think he has a future. Jacob Peterson is basically the same - doesn't offer anything at an NHL level.

Brandon Coe is a poor AHL wing. I think we let him go because I doubt he has any sort of future outside of the ECHL or Europe.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Anaheim: the ones posted above by MMC
Los Angeles: Lizotte (cap reasons if at all), Grundstrom
San Jose: Studnicka
Seattle: Yamamoto

Chicago: Johnson, Anderson, Entwistle (maybe)
Dallas: Dellandrea
Nashville: Anderson-Dolan, Stastney (maybe)
Winnipeg: Gustafsson, Stanley

Columbus: Nylander (he's producing now but small sample size)
New Jersey: N. Foote
Pittsburgh: Bemstrom (hard to say with this team since they so desperately need youth)

Boston: Boqvist
Buffalo: Bryson, Clague
Detroit: Veleno (probably not, I think they try to trade him instead)
Florida: Mahura
Montreal: Ylonen
Ottawa: Katchouk
Tampa Bay: Brown

Solid list.

Bryson recovered his game this year after being an offensive sinkhole last year - weird to think a mobile, small defenseman isn't a PMD but he's a shutdown guy in his weird way - but as the team's #8. There is no way they can QO him to come back when he's looking like he's already #8 without any other roster moves like a quality RHD.

Clague is just a AAAA player who has given them some minutes as their 9 but I can see him getting the QO just to keep him as that 9 option for one more year.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I find Vaakanainen to be fairly steady and reliable, thought he looked a bit stronger physically this year and was using that to his advantage more defensively. I just don't know that he does enough to make himself more than a "filler" type depth guy, there's not much of an offensive game there, nor is he really going to anchor a teams defensive line. But he belongs in the league as a low risk, low event Dman.

Vaak and Gustav Lindstrom have had a similar impact, if there is only room to keep one, I think Lindstrom's right hand shot may be the difference maker.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I was thinking Branstrom, Lizotte and Texier when i saw the list, not because of play, mostly because of the qualifying number and what else the teams have in stock.
Maybe Kunin from SJ, but they have no cap issues, so might just keep him, even with a high qualifying number.
Maybe Jake Bean as well, as his number is high and they have a lot of D coming, but maybe a trade candidate.

Texier is one of those guys that if he were to go to free agency or his rights were avail I'd like to see him on the pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad