Revolving Door of RWs: Cole, Ryder, Briere and PAP

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
we got a 5th with briere....this is trevor timing where talking about here
just that 5th can change evrything

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Loved trade for Ryder, didn't like Briere signing.

If it's all or nothing I guess I would've rather kept Cole and put him on 3rd line.

Exactly, great timing for the trade. I liked the cap space it gave the Habs for the next season. The problem is how the management decided to invest this money.

Parenteau isn't the worst consolation price, but Brière was finished and you can't trade for a very good player with a guy like that.

Saintpatrick*

After the lockout Cole wasn't the same player. He looked like he didn't want to play hockey anymore. It's a shame too because he, DD and Patches were awesome for that one year.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I voted no and here is why:

Cole, Ryder , Briere , and PAP appear to be a connected line of transactions and they really are not.

Cole was wooed to Montreal, then became disgruntled at the lockout. This was an unexpected reaction and event for Montreal management to deal with.

The one-dimensional pending free agent Ryder was producing well and seemed like a reasonable return for a disgruntled player. No long term strings. If not for the Cole reaction this trade probably would not have been sought out.

At no time during these transactions was it even imagined that Lecavalier or Briere would be bought out and available as free agents. The branches of the decision tree are cut off there is no connection to future events.

With Lecavalier and Briere both bought out Bergevin changed focus and tried to pull off the trifecta - impress your boss, impress a large part of your fan base, impress media. He settled on Briere to build good will at a reasonable price. Money freed up by the send-off of Ryder seems implicated but not really relevant.

Unexpected event: Briere and the coach are at odds with playing roles. Coach's decisions are respected by GM. Briere wants to go.

Enter PAP.

In the end there have been so many decisions made on information not fathomed at the acquisition of Cole that they really can't be connected to PAP. In the end we have the second place team in the East, no cap crisis, and as fans a decent prospect for happiness extending to April or May, possibly June and PAP is possibly still the best player in all the deals.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
None of the above.

Jaromir Jagr was and is still is the answer. Wake up Bergevin.

Jagr is too young. Gotta wait a couple of more years. :sarcasm:

As bad as you may think PAP is, he's much better than Cole or Briere. Not to mention the shootout ability.

PAP literally has one move in the shootout but hey it works! I wonder how long it'll be before goalies in the league pick up on it.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The guy just came out of a season where he scored more than 30 goals... I understand he had a bad start the seaosn we traded him, but I don't think many people would have thought he was "finished" at that time...

His stats the following seasons tell you're right, but we definitely couldn't know, at that time, that he was "finished" as you say it.

But to answer the OP's question, I think PAP is my favorite since Cole. He doesn't have amazing stats (really not in fact), but he's not actually bad.

Actually, some did because his start prior to the trade was horrendously bad. He looked worse than Desharnais during his 21 game slump; significantly worse.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Very much happy that Cole is gone. Briere signing was a joke but his bring moved for PAP was ok. I am a Ryder fan and liked what he brought after coming over but would not have offered him what he got in NJ to stay.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Cole was slow to get started after the lockout indeed. Ryder gave us good offensive production but in a typical Ryder-esque fashion he played with no heart and one-dimensionally. As for Briere, he was sort of useful in the playoffs but he had essentially become a 4th line player with a 4 million cap hit. No good.

PAP's offensive production is disappoiting but he's been ok for the Habs (at least not as bad as his point total shows). And he gave us 4 wins in the shootout so...

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Cole has been bad, bad ever since that one good year with us. We sort of lucked out, in that we got one of his best seasons with us and then were able to unload him with out much financial loss. PAP isn't a the great right winger a la Richer but has won us some crucial games in the first half. those shoot out losses can be a difference maker in your season.

24rings

Sep 9, 2002
mtl
Visit site
Cole's attitude towards Subban is what made me dislike him. He always felt like youngsters should 'respect' and be 'obedient' to the veterans which really put me off. Other than that you could tell her loved to play for this team and city but with the direction new management was going in I don't see how he would ever be a fit.

I know for a fact that this is exactly how it went down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad