Revisiting the conditional pick in the Campbell/Clifford deal

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
COVID-19 may have saved the Leafs a second pick. As of right now, if the regular season is cancelled and the NHL restarts at playoffs, the games played condition cannot be met. If Clifford is not resigned, which is unlikely with a stagnant cap, the condition will not be met.

Seems like the deal will be

Clifford (16 games + Playoffs)
Campbell (2.25 seasons)

for

Moore
2020 and 2021 3rd

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The Leafs only had 1 back to back left and 12 games. Campbell getting 3 games and winning all 3 was pretty unlikely to begin with IMO. If the Leafs need the points in a non back to back they likely run with Andersen. If they clinch late and Campbell is at 5 wins they call up KK to start him to avoid giving up the pick.

If anything covid might make it more likely if they resume the season because they'll condense it a lot and probably would give Campbell more games than he otherwise would have played.

Reactions: BrainyBomber

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I personally want Clifford back. He’s worth the slide in picks for me. Thats my take. Rightly or wrongly i will maintain that view :)

That's how I feel, too. I don't know what's going to happen with the cap, so it could change. But unless Clifford ask is insane, or the cap drops, I want Clifford back.

Forget the pick, let's watch a winner.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That's how I feel, too. I don't know what's going to happen with the cap, so it could change. But unless Clifford ask is insane, or the cap drops, I want Clifford back.

Forget the pick, let's watch a winner.

The pick gives you flexibility next deadline. If we're having a good year and run into a Rielly/Muzzin injury around February again, I'd much rather have extra ammo to get a replacement D than a 2 million dollar 4th liner.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why would they trade for him if they weren’t going to try and re-sign him?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
The pick gives you flexibility next deadline. If we're having a good year and run into a Rielly/Muzzin injury around February again, I'd much rather have extra ammo to get a replacement D than a 2 million dollar 4th liner.

The difference between the 3rd and the 2nd we'd be giving up wouldn't make a difference in a future big-time deadline deal.

We'd probably end up paying more than that to try and add, yet again, what Clifford brings. Just keep him instead.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The difference between the 3rd and the 2nd we'd be giving up wouldn't make a difference in a future big-time deadline deal.

We'd probably end up paying more than that to try and add, yet again, what Clifford brings. Just keep him instead.
You and i agree on the value. If a Robertson type sneaky pick was there scouting loves that earlier pick. Thats the area we could be flexible in agreeing with keeping the better pick. Clifford has enough to bring still to choose him over that earlier pick. There aren’t many Cliffords available

Reactions: kb

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm not concerned with the pick. Campbell being in the deal and under contract could have been somewhat of an acknowledgment towards any possibility of Clifford not returning to the team for next season. I don't think management would look at the GP condition or re-signing Clifford as any kind of detriment though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I do not think Clifford really brought enough to warrant bringing back. He is fine enough to still play in the NHL, but for the contract he likely wants and the condition on the deal, I think he is more than replaceable by someone like Korshkov. Korshkov has the defensive game (including PK ability, which Clifford does not have) and physicality people want but with enough offensive upside to be more than a 4th line winger and will only cost 925k next year (which is probably half the amount Clifford would ask for).

I think Engvall-Gauthier-Korshkov will be the Leafs' 4th line next year, with Spezza as the 13th forward and getting quite a few games but not too many as to wear him out.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I do not think Clifford really brought enough to warrant bringing back. He is fine enough to still play in the NHL, but for the contract he likely wants and the condition on the deal, I think he is more than replaceable by someone like Korshkov. Korshkov has the defensive game (including PK ability, which Clifford does not have) and physicality people want but with enough offensive upside to be more than a 4th line winger and will only cost 925k next year (which is probably half the amount Clifford would ask for).

I think Engvall-Gauthier-Korshkov will be the Leafs' 4th line next year, with Spezza as the 13th forward and getting quite a few games but not too many as to wear him out.

This but I think Spezza gets 50 games while Korskov is shuttled back and forth to the Marlies. This is as you said to keep Spezza fresh. The great thing about Spezza is he can either play C or RW. So perhaps Gauthier is given a few nights off too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad