Revised Expectations

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We're not far off.

The big thing is the bottom 6, Nelson is producing well in Judas' spot. But our bottom 6 was so atrocious last year; not a lot of people respected that because the roles are deemed insignificant but look at the impacts of Komarov and Flip this year. Reminds me of the impact of Grabovski and Kulemin those two years

The bottom six is usually your stable lines if you're good. You just want them to go even for the game and hope your top six is better than the other team's top six. When you have a lot of skill like Pittsburgh, then you can add skill to the third line and try to have three good scoring lines. Last year Weight tried to roll three scoring lines (among other things) when we weren't talented enough, so we got crushed. These veterans calm play down and are getting the better of their opponents more than not, but even if they're not scoring I wouldn't mind right now. Just go even.

The only thing I will say to this, is Trotz's teams seem to defy the stats geeks. His coaching style may be an outlier.

I am on the let's see where we are at around christmas. I do think it's still early, but it's not that early to say a 20 game sample is just all good luck.

So let's wait and see. This team has a tonne of character, and they are a true team. That can carry you over a season.

The problem with some advanced stats now is that teams/players are actively trying to manipulate them. It might have been a good indicator of which teams were good or bad for prior teams, but now some coaches and GM's are using that as a way to construct their teams. It lessens the importance I think.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Revised expectations has made it to the MainBoard.

Just a lucky PDO, low corsi, team according to a few salty fans.

Got to love it so far. The Isles are an early story.

Hope people keep saying the Isles stink.
I don't worry much about PDO. Current game-to-game swing is about 0.5 (lost 1.1 during Florida trip and gained 1.0 against VAN and NYR). Of course this swing is getting smaller with each game, but to go back to the pack from current 105.4 to below 102 over remaining 60+ games is not a big deal, it's not necessary a "catastrophic crash" predicted by the Main Board.

Corsi is overrated)). In terms of real success – i. e. making playoffs and how deep you go once there – Corsi is relatively weak predictor.

Besides, I don't expect it to be so low for long. When PDO goes down it's natural to expect that possession numbers improve: if "luck" is abandoning you, then you start to work harder.

We are also benefitting from Metro situation: underwhelming starts for WAS, PIT, NJE. We would be fighting for 5-6 if we were in Atlantic.

Reactions: danteipp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad