Revised Expectations

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I've posted a few times that if they're around .500 after 15 games we can think about the playoffs. I think tonight is game 15.

The reason is that there are several new players and a new coaching staff and new system, and a tough, road-heavy early schedule. So yeah, some people think it's unsustainable luck, but I assume they will improve as time goes by and can hang around for a wildcard spot (or maybe better).

I was thinking around 30 games to make that decision but it is pretty conclusive that they could contend if they add pieces at the deadline. The X factor is Adam Pelech, he has been making great gains in his game and I kind of expect around mid season that fans will see how that has developed. Pulock has more talent than Pelech so we are seeing improvement there too and Mayfield is passable.

5 Biggest questions will be:

Can Barzal find the right linemates?
Will Nick Leddy come out of hiding?
Are these goalies playing about their heads or is the system designed to make them appear better?
Which players do they lock up with contracts
Is Casey Cizikas more than a 4th liner?

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I'm reserving judgement but it's refreshing to see an Isles team working hard and using the term accountability this year. This was the Isles identify from the start and through the malaise of the last 25 years or so they lost it. (albeit a few years in between with the Ted Nolan teams)

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I don't believe it's a bubble team with limited ceiling. If the winning continues, they will acquire more talent. If they fall back in the standings, they will be sellers. So I see either a lottery team or a competitive and deep playoff run. I predict the more enjoyable one.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't believe it's a bubble team with limited ceiling. If the winning continues, they will acquire more talent. If they fall back in the standings, they will be sellers. So I see either a lottery team or a competitive and deep playoff run. I predict the more enjoyable one.

Acquiring Jeff Carter and Keith Yandle would be a serious commitment to a cup run

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
I came into this season knowing that it would be an up and down year and that there might be some tough times before things get better. Despite the last few games, the Isles have so far exceeded my expectations. However, so have the Rags, and that is really pissing me off.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Someone posted odds here a couple of years ago that if you're in a playoff spot at Thanksgiving it was highly likely you will be there at teh end of teh season. Like over 80% or something.
2 points seperates 1st from 7th in the Metro. That's pretty.unusual for mid November no?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
My expectations haven't changed at all. I expect them to be in just about every game they play, win/lose most games by 1 goal and finish with a higher point total than last year. Playoffs are not out of the question, but highly unlikely.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Their possession has improved the past week or so (even though sadly they've lost a few games). If they can keep on buying into Trotz' disciplined style while getting roughly half of the possession/shots/corsi/whatever, they'll be in position to make a playoff run. This is especially true IMO when you consider the likely addition of some of our Bridgeport studs and maybe a small deadline acquisition or two (if the team is in playoff position).

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Same record as last season at this point in time.
10-6-2. The Isles went on a 5-1 run last year which was the high point of last season and then started to trend downward.

Differences in goals scored and allowed after 18 games
Year GF GA
2017 66 59
2018 61 49

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Same record as last season at this point in time.
10-6-2. The Isles went on a 5-1 run last year which was the high point of last season and then started to trend downward.

Differences in goals scored and allowed after 18 games
Year GF GA
2017 66 59
2018 61 49

That goals for column is really surprising.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
That goals for column is really surprising.
We're not far off.

The big thing is the bottom 6, Nelson is producing well in Judas' spot. But our bottom 6 was so atrocious last year; not a lot of people respected that because the roles are deemed insignificant but look at the impacts of Komarov and Flip this year. Reminds me of the impact of Grabovski and Kulemin those two years

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
My expectations will change with each game. Typically after a loss I will be ready to sell off every pending UFA and focus on the future. After a W I'm convinced we are one or two players away from doing "serious damage."

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
The two goals for this year were to introduce structure and change the culture. All indicators are pointing to success in these areas. The rest will come in due time.

Reactions: MIK55

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Revised expectations has made it to the MainBoard.

Just a lucky PDO, low corsi, team according to a few salty fans.

Got to love it so far. The Isles are an early story.

Hope people keep saying the Isles stink.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
My expec
My expectations haven't changed at all. I expect them to be in just about every game they play, win/lose most games by 1 goal and finish with a higher point total than last year. Playoffs are not out of the question, but highly unlikely.

Similar to my thoughts as well. Play hard and stay focused all year, in both slumps and on winning streaks. Make sure your opponent hates playing against you and needs to work hard each game.

Vets like Uncle Leo and Flip are valuable, since the fill very specific roles, can teach the young players and take some pressure off them.

I am hoping that as the year goes on, and Lou and Trotz get a firm grasp on what they have, they will be able to make the correct calls on who to lock up long term and who they can part with.

If/when injuries hit, hopefully the younger players like Toews, Bellows, MDC, JHS, Aho, etc. get a chance and perform well.

For once, the Isles have quality veterans and prospects in the system at the same time. Now they just need to be integrated correctly.

I am sure Lou is always looking to upgrade the talent as well - for the right price. Continue building into next season.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Revised expectations has made it to the MainBoard.

Just a lucky PDO, low corsi, team according to a few salty fans.

Got to love it so far. The Isles are an early story.

Hope people keep saying the Isles stink.
This is basically all true. This team if continuing to play like this is a bubble team at best. Hopefully they can ride the PDO train while they figure out and improve their play.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is basically all true. This team if continuing to play like this is a bubble team at best. Hopefully they can ride the PDO train while they figure out and improve their play.

The only thing I will say to this, is Trotz's teams seem to defy the stats geeks. His coaching style may be an outlier.

I am on the let's see where we are at around christmas. I do think it's still early, but it's not that early to say a 20 game sample is just all good luck.

So let's wait and see. This team has a tonne of character, and they are a true team. That can carry you over a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->