OT: Review of the city of St.Louis from a Winnipegger

damaaster

Dec 29, 2009
WINNIPEG
Hi HF Blues.

Just wanted to pop by and say I was lucky enough to win a trip to St Louis for game 4, and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your city.

I wrote a little blog post about my trip to St Louis and my thoughts of the city in case anyone was interested in an outsiders view:

Review: City of St Louis

Seriously cannot believe how nice everyone in St Louis was (even after the game).

Hoping for another great game tonight

All the best!

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Very cool article. A lot of times our city gets such a bad rap in the national media but it truly is a great place and I'm proud to raise my family here.

Everyone outside of the city thinks St. Louis is only a baseball town but that couldn't be further from the truth. The Blues are well loved and have a big rabid fan base.

I enjoyed your article and glad you had a good time!

Reactions: damaaster

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Awesome read! Thanks for sharing!

Couple things...
Dales Pale Ale started in a VERY small town in Colorado where I grew up. Seriously, the population is about 1,500 in the foothills of the Rockies. Dale is a self made and a pretty cool dude. Thats the beer that made his brewery (Oskar Blues) famous. Anyways, Colorado and St. Louis are two of the greatest places in the USA for craft beer.

Secondly, that anthem singer is Charles Glenn. Hes retiring after this season. Definitely a St. Louis treasure. It's good you got to experience him.

It really is too bad STL always ends up in the news for all the wrong reasons because like you experienced, if you just kind of try to enjoy it you will find the people and the city are awesome. Like any other city avoid the bad areas and you will be fine.

Also may I suggest a visit to Forest Park next visit?

Great read WPG fan and I was laughing that the Blues fans didn't care Laine's dad was there and they kept talking trash lol. Sports are fun.

Reactions: mk80 and damaaster

damaaster

Dec 29, 2009
WINNIPEG
Awesome read! Thanks for sharing!

Couple things...
Dales Pale Ale started in a VERY small town in Colorado where I grew up. Seriously, the population is about 1,500 in the foothills of the Rockies. Dale is a self made and a pretty cool dude. Thats the beer that made his brewery (Oskar Blues) famous. Anyways, Colorado and St. Louis are two of the greatest places in the USA for craft beer.

Secondly, that anthem singer is Charles Glenn. Hes retiring after this season. Definitely a St. Louis treasure. It's good you got to experience him.

It really is too bad STL always ends up in the news for all the wrong reasons because like you experienced, if you just kind of try to enjoy it you will find the people and the city are awesome. Like any other city avoid the bad areas and you will be fine.

Also may I suggest a visit to Forest Park next visit?

Great read WPG fan and I was laughing that the Blues fans didn't care Laine's dad was there and they kept talking trash lol. Sports are fun.

One thing I totally forgot about (probably had too many beers at the game) but my buddy reminded me...was even though those guys told Laine's dad they didn't like his son, and that his son sucked...and they didn't buy him a beer........they kept calling him "Mr. Laine" haha

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
Nice read. Always nice to see other peoples POV of the city who aren't from here. Seems like you definitely made the most of it with the given time restraint.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Hi HF Blues.

Just wanted to pop by and say I was lucky enough to win a trip to St Louis for game 4, and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your city.

I wrote a little blog post about my trip to St Louis and my thoughts of the city in case anyone was interested in an outsiders view:

Seriously cannot believe how nice everyone in St Louis was (even after the game).

All the best!
Glad you enjoyed the trip and our city! I hope to visit Winnipeg for a game sometime!

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Hi HF Blues.

All the best!
Of course you had fun, you were drunk on bourbon the whole time, j/k.

Welcome back anytime. Not only is there a ton of stuff to do downtown, but if you get a rental car/Uber you can spread out a bit too and there's tons more - Grant's Farm, National Museum of Transportation, World Bird Sanctuary, Lone Elk Park, 6 Flags, and Purina Farms just to name a few.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Glad you had a good time. Our fans are good people, I'm happy the people you came across were a good representation of that and not a drunk knucklehead which are very few and far between (well the knucklehead part anyway.) We're very polite. You'll get a lot of "ope, sorry"s and waved on when getting out of the parking lot after the game.

RaleighBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Very cool man. Glad you enjoyed STL. It’s kind of trendy to dump on the city from a national perspective, but it’s got a lot to offer. The beer and bbq scene is fantastic, and we love our sports teams!

I’ve since moved to NC, but STL will always be #1 in my heart.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Hi HF Blues.

All the best!

Awesome article! Laughed out loud at the part about Laine's dad. I think on the surface, all Blues fans despise him, but he's probably a great guy with a great family. Really cool that you got to experience that!

Glad you got to see the City Museum, it truly is one of the most unique things in the world. A child and adult playground. STL BBQ can't be beat. Overall I would say the BBQ and micro brewery scenes are the best in the entire country.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Hi HF Blues.

All the best!

I’m glad you had a good experience! The City Museum is outstanding. If you get a chance to come back with the kids, do check out the Zoo, Grant’s Farm, and Science Center. They’d be sure to love all three.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Awesome article! Laughed out loud at the part about Laine's dad. I think on the surface, all Blues fans despise him, but he's probably a great guy with a great family. Really cool that you got to experience that!

Glad you got to see the City Museum, it truly is one of the most unique things in the world. A child and adult playground. STL BBQ can't be beat. Overall I would say the BBQ and micro brewery scenes are the best in the entire country.
Not sure I would necessarily say STL is the best for microbrews and BBQ, but certainly one of the best. BBQ may be the best.

Living in Chicago, I can say with great certainty that it doesn’t have good BBQ. Me and my wife try places highly rated in CHI and almost always come away saying “that was ok, but there at least 15 better ones in STL”.

For microbrews:
Grand Rapids, Chicago, Denver and Portland are my personal tops. St. Louis is really high up there, but a small step behind those.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Hi HF Blues.

All the best!

First beer in town was a 4 hands milk stout?

giphy.gif

RaleighBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Not sure I would necessarily say STL is the best for microbrews and BBQ, but certainly one of the best. BBQ may be the best.

Living in Chicago, I can say with great certainty that it doesn’t have good BBQ. Me and my wife try places highly rated in CHI and almost always come away saying “that was ok, but there at least 15 better ones in STL”.

For microbrews:
Grand Rapids, Chicago, Denver and Portland are my personal tops. St. Louis is really high up there, but a small step behind those.

Don’t feel bad about the BBQ in CHI...I’m now living in a state that’s supposed to be known for BBQ and nothing so far is even in the same league as Pappy’s, Bogart’s, Sugarfire, etc.

For beer, once you get to the Top 10 cities, it’s hard to make a distinction on “best”. San Diego is a great beer city, and Asheville, NC, is really great. Asheville is so good that New Belgium, Oskar Blues, and Sierra Nevada chose it for their Eastern operations.

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
I wasn’t aware this was a thing. Is there some sort of rating you are referring to?
I remember it was a big deal in my household as my brother and sister are both alum. It was in the early 2000s when the news was not only bipartisan but printed in magazines. I feel like it was either Newsweek or Time.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Hey folks, a Winnipeg resident just wanting to say that I agree that St Louis is an awesome city.
I grew up listening to late night talk radio with Jim White on KMOX as a teenager. Somehow the signal came all the way here late at night. He was awesome.
Also heard about a million Ted Drews commercials so when I went to St Louis for the first time of course I had to try it - and it didn’t disappoint.
St Louis has a midwestern feel to it, kind of like home here.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou

For microbrews:

Still the King: St. Louis retains rank as No. 1 beer scene

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Awesome! and if u want food late night after 11....check out missouri bar and grill lol. Unreal burgers and wings

Reactions: damaaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad