Revamping the NHL season

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I've been thinking alot about a potential shortened season in 2020-21, and the idea that the NHL can reset its traditional season. I've always felt that the season was too long and has too many games in condensed time period, and have never understood the bye week when it just results in 4 games in 7 days on either end.

My proposal: Eight four-team leagues. A 58-game regular season: 6 games vs. 3 division rivals; 2 games vs 12 conference teams; 1 game against teach of the 16 teams in the opposite conference. Each game would have more meaning. OT is a 10-minute 3-on-3 , and no shootout which would mean the occasional tie. 3 points for a win of any kind, 1 point for a tie.

Playoffs: 8 Division winners get the top 8 seeds. The teams with the four next highest point totals also qualify. The next 8 teams (13-20) play a two-game, total goal series to determine the last four seeds. That could be done on a Tuesday and Wednesday in March, no March Madness games on those nights and not alot otherwise happening on the sports calendar. Stanley cup finals would go back to starting in May.

Potential division alignments below.

ArizonaSan JoseEdmontonSt. Louis ColumbusFloridaNYIBoston
LASeattleCalgaryChicago NashvilleTampaNYRMontreal
AnaheimVancouverWinnipegDetroit CarolinaPhillyNJDOttawa
VegasColoradoMinnesotaDallas BuffaloPittsburghWashingtonToronto
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'm sure many will hate this proposal, but I'm curious to see other suggestions on how to improve the regular season and/or playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad