GDT: Return to Play thread (Discuss Capitals games, lineups, who you want in round 2)

Who would you rather play?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Now that it’s down to NYI or CAR I definitely prefer NYI. Both teams are well-coached but I think CAR is more relentless on the forecheck and has a bit more high end skill. NYI is more structurally sound but I can see the Capitals breaking them down more than I can see them withstand the Hurricanes coming in waves, especially if Carlson is not at 100% or out completely.

So uh don’t F it up Sunday. Play to win.

Jun 15, 2007
Now that it’s down to NYI or CAR I definitely prefer NYI. Both teams are well-coached but I think CAR is more relentless on the forecheck and has a bit more high end skill. NYI is more structurally sound but I can see the Capitals breaking them down more than I can see them withstand the Hurricanes coming in waves, especially if Carlson is not at 100% or out completely.

So uh don’t F it up Sunday. Play to win.

Wait we can't get Montreal? Aren't they last seed? Or they take over as 5th seed?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Wait we can't get Montreal? Aren't they last seed? Or they take over as 5th seed?

Montreal as last seed will play whoever is the 1st seed no matter what.

1st seed = #12 Montreal
2nd seed = #8 Toronto/#9 Columbus
3rd seed = #7 NY Islanders
4th seed = #6 Carolina

Reactions: 895

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
reading the Pens boards right now..
giphy.gif

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orlov can’t make the fast one time pass to Ovie. By the time Orlov settles the puck and passes it the goalie has sniffed out the play.

True and the pk has taken Ov's shooting line away from him too. So, knowing that, how do the Caps score on the pp without Carlson?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Ok...where? Put him in front of the net and shoot pucks at him? Where on the ice can you put him where he can shoot?

In the past when teams over shaded to Ovi's office, they moved him down to the post, created some openings in other areas. They have to station someone on him down there so it leaves a lot of ice for 4 on 3.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Fun fact: the Caps now hold the current record for most consecutive playoff berths. They've made it in the last 6 seasons.

(Pens had 13 until they got ousted by Montreal)

Reactions: aonb

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In the past when teams over shaded to Ovi's office, they moved him down to the post, created some openings in other areas. They have to station someone on him down there so it leaves a lot of ice for 4 on 3.

Yes. They took him out of the play. Orlov basically does that himself. Ok. Forget Ov. Where is this pp going to get scoring from?

Edit: If Carlson cant play for G1, I am suggesting they make a significant change. Move Backstrom to the left wing half wall and Vrana into his spot on the right wing half wall. This way Orlov can one time the pass from Backstrom or pass the puck for a one timer from Vrana. Its basically the Ov Carlson pp in reverse. Leave Kuzy where he is in the right wing corner and leave Oshie in the bumper. You could swap Ov for Oshie, but Oshie is the primary puck retriever and thats not Ov's strong suit.

I think that is the most effective pp lineup. If Orlov is going to be out there, use his skill set the best way possible.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Fun fact: the Caps now hold the current record for most consecutive playoff berths. They've made it in the last 6 seasons.

(Pens had 13 until they got ousted by Montreal)

I keep hearing the qualifiers counted as playoffs. I know this is true for individual stats, so how can it not be true for team stats?

Jun 15, 2007
I keep hearing the qualifiers counted as playoffs. I know this is true for individual stats, so how can it not be true for team stats?

Because the rules are (literally) being made up as go along. This entire thing is unprecedented.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I voted islanders but we need to talk that both Backstrom and Kuz are injured and Eller is out of the bubble

We may have to play CCM out of need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->