Return the Supra

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Toyota is resurrecting its super car. I always leaned towards Nissan Z line, but Toyota's Supra (and Mazda's RX line) always get a second look from me on the street. As expected, the new one looks amazing.

190114134527-01-toyota-supra-detroit-auto-show-exlarge-169.jpg

Great to see this thing back on the road.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I was a little disappointed mainly because of how it's pretty much a BMW. I would have liked Toyota to take a stab at a car like this on their own and see how they do.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Toyota is resurrecting its super car. I always leaned towards Nissan Z line, but Toyota's Supra (and Mazda's RX line) always get a second look from me on the street. As expected, the new one looks amazing.

190114134527-01-toyota-supra-detroit-auto-show-exlarge-169.jpg

Great to see this thing back on the road.
I like it. It kind of reminds me of a coupe Hyundai put out in the late 90's early 2000's.

Jags68

Oct 16, 2017
lol, looks like a Hyundai on the outside and BMW knock off in the inside.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Early reviews are in and they're saying it's fun to drive. That just makes it even more sad because Toyota could have made something really special here. I've warmed up to the looks of it a bit, but I just can't get over that it is 90% BMW. With Toyota parts and manual transmission I would buy one asap.

RichWVU

Sep 17, 2014
2000GT was built and largely designed by Yamaha, so even their most famous sports car was like ten percent Toyota.

I'd have a really hard time giving the 2000GT the title of Toyota's "Most Famous" sports car over the MkIV Supra.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Depends on the market I guess, in Japan it's 2000GT or Sprinter Trueno and in Europe probably Celica.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Just read this week that it only comes as automatic (8 speed), the death of the traditional manual transmission. Sucks.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It looks like utter garbage. It looks too much like that crotch rocket that Toyota and Subaru made the exact same of, just a little bigger.

They could have made a nice car, instead they made a boring one.

Reactions: OmniCube

member 157595

I was just talking about the original with a co-worker the other day.

This just looks...meh. Not terrible but not exciting and the original was exciting.

And TO HELL with it only coming with a god damned automatic.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I really don't get the love for manual transmissions outside of nostalgia and personal preference. Which is fine, but being an automatic does nothing to hold back any real aspect of a car.

RichWVU

Sep 17, 2014
I really don't get the love for manual transmissions outside of nostalgia and personal preference. Which is fine, but being an automatic does nothing to hold back any real aspect of a car.

I mean, you're right in that today's automatics and DCTs are objectively better than a manual in every tangible, measurable way. But a manual absolutely adds character and driver involvement (for better or worse) to the driving experience. I would certainly consider those to be "real aspects" of a car like the new Supra which is going to be a weekend toy and source of enjoyment.

I'm not a manual fanboy by any means, but I fully understand where folks are coming from when they say a purpose built, 2-seat sporty car should at least have an optional third pedal.

Last edited:

member 157595

It's not necessarily about superiority. An automatic with paddle-shift option is without a doubt technically superior. It's about the user experience.

I mean, you're right in that today's automatics and DCTs are objectively better than a manual in every tangible, measurable way. But a manual absolutely adds character and driver involvement (for better or worse) to the driving experience. I would certainly consider those to be "real aspects" of a car like the new Supra which is going to be a weekend toy and source of enjoyment.

I'm not a manual fanboy by any means, but I fully understand where folks are coming from when they say a purpose built, 2-seat sporty car should come with three pedals.

Exactly.

I don't care if a manual isn't the standard (no pun intended) transmission but I do hate that it's not even available.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'm not a manual fanboy by any means, but I fully understand where folks are coming from when they say a purpose built, 2-seat sporty car should at least have an optional third pedal.

This I can get behind. I probably feel something similar when I see the new Zs and Nissan doesn't offer a t-top or a 2+2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad