Return of the Jets campaign (the sequel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
And apparently your entire purpose here is to make unfounded claims and expect us to believe them.

Such as? Please be specific if you are going to accuse me of something…

Actually, I'm well aware of the Jets' record at the end of 1984-85. As it happens, I've been researching the 1984-85 season for my website over the past several weeks.

Oh really?

You been researching? Well, if you are going to research, shouldn’t you talk to someone who actually experienced it? Namely me? Judging by your myspace account you are at least 10 years younger than myself. I actually attended Jet games in 1984-85. You want to do research? Maybe you should talk to someone who wasn’t in diapers when these games were occurring….

Florida has been in the league for thirteen seasons.

Half of that time would be seven seasons (rounding up).

The Winnipeg Jets were in the NHL for seventeen seasons.

Are you seriously trying to compare attendance figures from the Winnipeg Jets in the 80s to current attendance figures from Florida now? Come on Doctor No! I know you are smarter than that. Don’t play us for the fool….Please…

Dr. No, have you ever attended an NHL game in Canada before? Just curious…

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Such as? Please be specific if you are going to accuse me of something…

Let's start with your "correct me if I'm wrong" thread and go from there.

You been researching? Well, if you are going to research, shouldn’t you talk to someone who actually experienced it? Namely me? Judging by your myspace account you are at least 10 years younger than myself. I actually attended Jet games in 1984-85. You want to do research? Maybe you should talk to someone who wasn’t in diapers when these games were occurring….

Yes, my age is on the public record. And since you can figure that out, then you're either lying or implying that I wore diapers until I was twelve years old.

Dr. No, have you ever attended an NHL game in Canada before? Just curious…

Actually, I went to games for years at the Pacific Coliseum.

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'd really like to not have to go through and clean stuff up here ... but if the level of discourse continues, some people will find themselves unable to post in this thread.

Hint: if Joe Average might read your post and think ":whaaa?: - are they really saying that here?", you're probably pushing it.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Would it be over the line to post my currently-open questions regarding the 1984-85 Jets season?

I can confirm that they are legitimate questions.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
Would it be over the line to post my currently-open questions regarding the 1984-85 Jets season?

that was a very good Jets team and we had high hopes for them.
but how about in the history of hockey subforum?

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
It's a joke at this point. Feel free to not mention, once again, why that "data" is flawed. Since it was specifically chosen for a biased article trashing the Thrashers organization, this shouldn't surprise anyone.

I'd be curious to hear what's flawed about the numbers. Are you saying they aren't giving away that many comps or that their gate receipts aren't what the article says they are? The way I see it, the numbers are the numbers. Some can be intepreted different ways, but I don't see how you can sugarcoat anything about Atlanta attendance. Also their TV ratings within Atlanta for their playoff series against NY. As I mentioned in another thread, those were a real eye-opener. I want to say that only a few thousand households bothered watching. The word sobering comes to mind.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
I'd be curious to hear what's flawed about the numbers.
Again, it'd be nice if you new people would at least make some effort and not require everything to be spoon fed to you while we're beating this dead horse.

Those numbers stop pre-SuperBowl. Many teams see a large increase in attendance (and actual butts in the seats, from my personal observations) from February onward. Looking at an average that is not for a whole season, and which ignores, deliberately IMO, several of the most profitable months, skews the numbers and is only useful as a comparison to the year before (since they at least used the same sample for both years).

I also find it extremely bizarre that Atlanta went from offering almost no complimentary tickets to offering quite a lot. Seems more like some sort of internal policy change to me than anything else.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
that was a very good Jets team and we had high hopes for them.
but how about in the history of hockey subforum?

That's an excellent suggestion, and I'm going to once I have them all collected in one spot.

For those of you who don't know what I do for a hobby, I reconstruct game logs for past seasons; as an example, this being a Jets thread, Bob Essensa: http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/essensa.html

This involves poring over old microfilm trying to determine who played, how many shots on net there were, whether any of the goals were empty-net goals (my biggest pet peeve with newspaper boxscores), and whether anything unusual happened in the game.

I've worked my way back to 1984-85, and my main takeaway from all of this is how fortunate we are to have the Internet in this day and age. :rant:

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
Aga

I also find it extremely bizarre that Atlanta went from offering almost no complimentary tickets to offering quite a lot. Seems more like some sort of internal policy change to me than anything else.

That stat jumped out at me, too. And sure it could be a policy change, but why would they need to implement such a policy? Following the Occam's Razor principle, it's pretty easy. They're trying to get more fannies in the seats to see the game in the hope that someday those fans will actually buy tickets. I can see that for a struggling team, but Atlanta, while not a powerhouse, did win their division this year. They shouldn't have to be giving away quite that many.

And why won't anyone address the jaw-droppingly awful TV Ratings for the Thrashers-Rangers series in the Atlanta market? My guess is because there is no hiding from that one. People expect bad NHL ratings overall, but at the very least your own hometown team's numbers should be respectable within the market. These were anything but respectable.

GSC2k2*

That stat jumped out at me, too. And sure it could be a policy change, but why would they need to implement such a policy? Following the Occam's Razor principle, it's pretty easy. They're trying to get more fannies in the seats to see the game in the hope that someday those fans will actually buy tickets. I can see that for a struggling team, but Atlanta, while not a powerhouse, did win their division this year. They shouldn't have to be giving away quite that many.

And why won't anyone address the jaw-droppingly awful TV Ratings for the Thrashers-Rangers series in the Atlanta market? My guess is because there is no hiding from that one. People expect bad NHL ratings overall, but at the very least your own hometown team's numbers should be respectable within the market. These were anything but respectable.
The numbers that you are referring to for Atlanta ratings are what i was referring to in a resposnse to GHOST. THe "few thousand" number was discredited, if memory serves (although i may be confusing it with some misinfomration regarding Nashville ratings).

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
The numbers that you are referring to for Atlanta ratings are what i was referring to in a resposnse to GHOST. THe "few thousand" number was discredited, if memory serves (although i may be confusing it with some misinfomration regarding Nashville ratings).

Well, for what it's worth this is the basis of what I'm talking about. Whether it's been discredited or not, I don't know. It seems fairly cut and dry.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/04/23/not-so-hotlanta-abysmal-local-t-v-ratings-for-thrashers/

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
From the link:
For Games Three and Four, the Thrashers had only 8,800 households watching per night.

Why would fans who attended the first two playoff games not bother to watch games 3 & 4?

Sigh.

Yes. Winnipeggers had their hopes up for that team…
Thinking back, they were probably just playing over their heads during that unbeaten streak.
It ended up that the Jets had six 30-goal scorers that season…Hawerchuk had 130 points and seemed to be the Jets answer to Gretzky…then in game 3 of the playoffs, Macoun took Hawerchuk out with a stick to the ribs…he was never the same player after that injury…
The Jets re-grouped to finish off the Flames in four…but without Hawerchuk, the Jets didn’t have a chance against the Oilers in round 2.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
From the link:

Why would fans who attended the first two playoff games not bother to watch games 3 & 4?

Also the fact that this was the team's first playoff appearance in its history. I'm sorry, but your fans can't get excited about that then you don't deserve a team. 8,800 households watching playoff games involving your team's first postseason in its history? Wowsa. Then again, the Braves could barely sell out for their playoff games towards the end of their 14 year winning stretch. And it's always amusing watching the Hawks games in Atlanta (assuming you can find them broadcast, no easy feat). Yeah, they're bad so I don't necessarily blame people for staying away from them. But when I think Atlanta Hawks basketball I automatically think of empty seats in the lower bowl. That goes all the way back to the Omni days, too. They always had really funky seat colors that ended up being extremely noticeable.

PantherBlood6*

the amount of ignorance and stupidity being thrown around in this thread is pretty astounding - so i really don't know where to start.

I'm not sure how to answer that first line. It's almost akin to saying that if pigs could fly, they could fly very far. But they can't, so they won't. Well, hockey is not succeeding in those two places. Not by a long shot. Now it's just a matter of how long the owners want to keep throwing money at it.

:biglaugh:

i really can't speak for atlanta. unlike some here, i won't speak out of ignorance. but to say hockey isn't succeeding in "miami" is flat out wrong.

is florida a hockey hotbed? no, of course not. but no other franchise's fans have had to put up with the amount of incompetent management that florida has - and despite that, they're still middle-of-the pack in regards to ticket sales. haven't had a playoff appearance since 1999-2000 and havent won a playoff game since 1996-1997. think about that for a second and then ask yourself: would any other market really be considered strong with such a piss-poor product on the ice?

i'm sorry to burst your bubble up there in winnipeg, but the panthers aren't moving anytime soon. and there's several reasons as to why they won't. lets start with this: according to forbes, florida only lost $1.6 million in 05-06. and according to george richards (miami-herald beat writer) - florida "just about broke even" in 06-07. he also reported the panthers believe they may no longer be receiving revenue sharing in a year or two - which has been the reason for their cautious approach in the free agency market.

so while they may be losing money - it isn't significant amounts like other franchises out there that are bleeding. the local sponsorships are through the roof - so much so that people are calling the bank-atlantic center the "corporate sponsorship arena".

pre-lockout they were in pretty bad shape. but with the somewhat improved product on the ice (ie, semi-competitive instead of a doormat) - things improved. so what happens when florida actually puts a winner out there? a legitimate contender? people will come.

is that not enough? ok, well keep reading:

alan cohen has full control of the bank atlantic center. broward country (who built the arena) gets zero revenues from it aside from the 30-year guarantee the panthers will stay in sunrise.

now, i know leases can be broken. but this one won't be. cohen is raking in tons and tons of money through other events such as concerts, shows, etc. if florida moves - cohen loses the least and control of the arena. needless to say, he's not going to let that happen.

still not enough? it should be, but ok. keep reading

lets say for some reason cohen wanted out. wanted to sell the club. it won't happen, but i'll humor you.

the nhl isn't going to want this team to move, especially not to a canadian market like winnipeg. i know many will take it as one, but i'm not trying to insult winnipeg. the biggest problem with the nhl is the national broadcast deals in the united states. the "florida" market, which is all of miami-dade, broward, and palm-beach counties, is around 6.5 million people. making it the third biggest market in the US. needless to say, there aren't 6.5 million people watching florida play game in and game out, but when you're talking about national broadcast rights, if the nhl loses miami/ft.lauderdale, they lose a huge asset. losing nashville (which they obviously dont want to do) is one thing - losing florida is another. 800,000 eyeballs don't quite compare to 6,500,000.

not. going. to. happen.

As to the Winnipeg person, I think they were being very realistic. I'm not sure how you can say that teams at or near the bottom in attendance and revenue deserve chance after chance, but when someone comes and says that Winnipeg could jump up to the middle of the pack they are derided. Ask the owners of some of those teams if they'd take middle of the road versus what they have now year after year. My guess is that they'd be on it in a heartbeat. So what if Winnipeg will never be number one. I have news for all of you, neither will Florida or Atlanta - despite the capacity of their arenas.

winnipeg could fill their arena to capacity and it wouldn't matter. the nhl is trying to grow it's product in the united states - and like it or not as a canadian, losing a US market to a canadian one does nothing but hurt the cause. losing a huge US market like south florida is a catastrophic blow to the cause.

So in this case putting the game in a place where it will be appreciated is far better, even if it does mean that it will never be a Detroit or Toronto. I'd rather watch 15,000 screaming fans in Winnipeg than 13,000 (2,000 of whom came dressed as empty seats) docile customers in Miami.

florida drew 15,370 this year, 16,048 last year. nice try twisting the numbers. even if those were the attendance figures, florida still wouldn't move for the reasons mentioned above.

:teach:

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
the amount of ignorance and stupidity being thrown around in this thread is pretty astounding....

I agree.... People who agree with this assertion, for instance:

florida drew 15,370 this year, 16,048 last year. nice try twisting the numbers.

Uhm, yeah. I totally agree with that. For sure. No, really. I'd bet my right arm that there were an average of 15,000 people in that arena night in and night out. Seriously I would. :shakehead

PantherBlood6*

Uhm, yeah. I totally agree with that. For sure. No, really. I'd bet my right arm that there were an average of 15,000 people in that arena night in and night out. Seriously I would. :shakehead

were you in the arena for all 41 games like....oh, i don't know....i was?

didn't think so.

:shakehead:teach:

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005

Post the numbers if you're going to attack his position.

With links, please.

And it had better be worse than the best average Winnipeg ever got, in keeping with the spirit of the thread.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
It's a joke at this point. Feel free to not mention, once again, why that "data" is flawed. Since it was specifically chosen for a biased article trashing the Thrashers organization, this shouldn't surprise anyone.

The data was reportedly NHL data which was leaked, probably by the NHLPA or agents or less likely someone from the NHL. No one - the NHL, the NHLPA or agents - has disputed the accuracy of the data. I hope you realize that the G&M which reported the data is probably one of the most respected media sources in Canada, similar to the New York Times, and is standing by a story, which was never retracted. Similar data was released by Canada's National Post, another major media source. What is your point? You seem to be grasping at straws.

GHOST

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
True North, league execs held hush-hush meeting in January

Here's another article basically confirming what I stated previously about Winnipeg's "low-key" approach rather than shouting their intentions from the "roof tops" as some posters here suggested would be the more logical approach:

"...those sneaky devils at True North. It's been over six months since they met with NHL executives exploring possible expansion or relocation -- a rather significant development in the ongoing debate about the return of the Winnipeg Jets-or-whatever -- and didn't breathe a word to the locals.

Not a peep.

In the past, True North chairman Mark Chipman acknowledged to having informal dialogue with the NHL, but nothing to indicate any formal meetings had taken place, much less a presentation to the league's heavyweights in New York.

On an invitation from the NHL, no less.

But then Chipman has never made secret of the fact that -- whether the NHL comes back to Winnipeg or not -- he would ensure that the process wouldn't be advertised to the public.

In fact, you know what we've got here, folks? The anti-Balsillie approach to acquiring an NHL franchise. And by that we mean it's tasteful, respectful, humble and private."

Full article here:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/story/4002464p-4617214c.html

GHOST

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
And if Winnipeg is going to land a franchise, that's exactly how it will happen - starting from the ground up, establishing contacts with the other owners, and gradually getting them one-by-one to feel comfortable with Winnipeg as a future NHL location. It's not guaranteed that it will work, but it's certainly going to be received a whole lot better than, "BAH - HERE'S $236 MILLION, GIMME THE DAMN TEAM NOW, I GOTTA PLACE IN CANADA TO FILL - AND DON'T TRY STOPPING ME, OR I'LL KICK ALL YOUR *****!"

Fugu

And if Winnipeg is going to land a franchise, that's exactly how it will happen - starting from the ground up, establishing contacts with the other owners, and gradually getting them one-by-one to feel comfortable with Winnipeg as a future NHL location. It's not guaranteed that it will work, but it's certainly going to be received a whole lot better than, "BAH - HERE'S $236 MILLION, GIMME THE DAMN TEAM NOW, I GOTTA PLACE IN CANADA TO FILL - AND DON'T TRY STOPPING ME, OR I'LL KICK ALL YOUR *****!"

And who ever said "Money talks."

Soap opera to continue.....;)

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
The data was reportedly NHL data which was leaked, probably by the NHLPA or agents or less likely someone from the NHL. No one - the NHL, the NHLPA or agents - has disputed the accuracy of the data. I hope you realize that the G&M which reported the data is probably one of the most respected media sources in Canada, similar to the New York Times, and is standing by a story, which was never retracted. Similar data was released by Canada's National Post, another major media source. What is your point? You seem to be grasping at straws.

GHOST
Uh, look a few posts above yours to # 33. I didn't say the numbers were wrong, never have. The sample they used (probably deliberately) skews the data. You're the one grasping at straws by failing to point out this bias.

GSC2k2*

GHOST

You very well know the objection. It has been voiced numerous times previously in connection with the numbers.

GSC2k2*

And who ever said "Money talks."

Soap opera to continue.....;)
In a sense, money may "talk", but smart money actually goes about its business very, very quietly.

Just a little extended metaphor on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad