retro Jason style goalie masks vs modern day goalie masks

RandallFlagg1982

Nov 27, 2018
The original mask used for inspiration, the exact mask was a size medium Fibrosport Elite JP-102 that was recast, resize, and retooled to account for the prosthetic, as well as made lighter to account for fatiguing the actor as a result of extended time spent wearing it on set.
I own 3 originals and 4 replicas.

Reactions: Killion

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Back when I played pickup at the Kingston Memorial Centre in the 1990s and very early 2000s, there was a guy who'd wear that type of mask (IIRC, it was painted black). With my going sans helmet for many of those games, it would have made for a few neat retro style pictures whenever I'd come close to him, lol.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Back when I played pickup at the Kingston Memorial Centre in the 1990s and very early 2000s, there was a guy who'd wear that type of mask (IIRC, it was painted black). With my going sans helmet for many of those games, it would have made for a few neat retro style pictures whenever I'd come close to him, lol.

On some of the other Sites & Discussion Boards I frequent (all things goalie) plenty of adult rec players do still from time-time use their old face flush molded masks from the late 60's & 70's though not regularly (along with their old Cooper GM12's, pads etc). Fairly thriving cottage industry of mask makers knocking off replicas' of pretty much everything & anything ever made right down to the original paint jobs.... Sans helmet however, sadly for skaters banned pretty much everywhere in adult hockey circles, leagues.

RandallFlagg1982

Nov 27, 2018
The bottom 2 with red chevrons are both originals, the top left one with straps is an original. The top white game worn, and weathered middle bottom, mask with blue chevrons are both replicas. I have a total of 5 more replicas about finished up, supposed to ship tomorrow. 1 blank (flawed pull) medium sized, 2 painted mediums, one F13 pt 8 style, one white reproduction, and two large sized reproductions, one F13 3D style, and one game used weathered original style reproduction.
0607181354.jpg
received_467082827156048.jpeg

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The bottom 2 with red chevrons are both originals, the top left one with straps is an original. The top white game worn, and weathered middle bottom, mask with blue chevrons are both replicas. I have a total of 5 more replicas about finished up, supposed to ship tomorrow. 1 blank (flawed pull) medium sized, 2 painted mediums, one F13 pt 8 style, one white reproduction, and two large sized reproductions, one F13 3D style, and one game used weathered original style reproduction. View attachment 158859 View attachment 158867

Cheapo models Dude. Had one. POS. Why the "glorification"?. Uh? Wannabe Psycho Killer?

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Fun to read. As a kid, I started playing goal at 8 years old (1970)
Had a clear mask that was similarly styled to the Mylec street hockey masks.
I played on an outdoor rink, and the cheek pads froze to my face during a game one night!
Then I went to what we simplay called the first “Plante” mask, which was light years better than that first one!
My dad got me the bigger coverage Plante design next, which covered way more of my head. Also had the back of head plate. Was a great mask. I think I have a really blurry picture of me in that one somewhere..

Then I got the nirvana mask....a Higgins mask, custom made! I was king of the Hill at that!:laugh:
The Higgins mask was unreal how much more comfortable and solid it was compared to my previous.

Sadly, I switched to forward when I was 16-17 and my dad sold off or gave away my old gear. Would have loved to kept those last two masks (and my GM21)

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
On some of the other Sites & Discussion Boards I frequent (all things goalie) plenty of adult rec players do still from time-time use their old face flush molded masks from the late 60's & 70's though not regularly (along with their old Cooper GM12's, pads etc). Fairly thriving cottage industry of mask makers knocking off replicas' of pretty much everything & anything ever made right down to the original paint jobs.... Sans helmet however, sadly for skaters banned pretty much everywhere in adult hockey circles, leagues.

And it annoys me! I went to play pickup around 2000 (after years of not playing - kids took my free time) and took to the ice, only to get yelled at for not having a helmet. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. So here i was, with a group of mostly novice players, full face masks, over sized full equipment, and even mouth guards for a freaking pick up game.

I wore no shoulder pads, and begrudgingly, my old CCM Pro Standard (HT-1) helmet, no cage or shield. Slow puck pick up game.

Whatever happened to a gentleman's game of pick up wearing barely any equipment?

The wussification of North America.

Or maybe I'm just a miserable old curmudgeon these days.:wally:

But to stay on topic - the old flat masks were primitive by today's standard. I just remember getting whacked with the puck wearing a Jacques Plant (think Bernie Parent) style mask in the 70's, and the noise and ringing in my ears was pronounced to say the least...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
And it annoys me! I went to play pickup around 2000 (after years of not playing - kids took my free time) and took to the ice, only to get yelled at for not having a helmet. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. So here i was, with a group of mostly novice players, full face masks, over sized full equipment, and even mouth guards for a freaking pick up game.

I wore no shoulder pads, and begrudgingly, my old CCM Pro Standard (HT-1) helmet, no cage or shield. Slow puck pick up game.

Whatever happened to a gentleman's game of pick up wearing barely any equipment?

The wussification of North America.

Or maybe I'm just a miserable old curmudgeon these days.:wally:

But to stay on topic - the old flat masks were primitive by today's standard. I just remember getting whacked with the puck wearing a Jacques Plant (think Bernie Parent) style mask in the 70's, and the noise and ringing in my ears was pronounced to say the least...

Yeah. I feel sorry for kids today as they never really get the chance to experience that sense of awareness & freedom without a helmet, minimal equipment, respect required of course.... and not just pickup hockey.... even riding a bike, snowboarding or skiing. Helmets mandatory..... And ya, face flush the impact dissipates, spreads out over the entire face. Shocking as all Hell.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Don't ride a bike very often, but sure as heck not wearing a helmet when I do!

If I was a Currier in Manhattan probably, but not these here parts - no siree Bob....

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Yeah. I feel sorry for kids today as they never really get the chance to experience that sense of awareness & freedom without a helmet, minimal equipment, respect required of course.... and not just pickup hockey.... even riding a bike, snowboarding or skiing. Helmets mandatory..... And ya, face flush the impact dissipates, spreads out over the entire face. Shocking as all Hell.
There is a young couple on my street with 2 boys (twins) around 7 years of age. 100% physically healthy boys, developmentally on track. They play together on their front yard and sometimes I see them walking together on their way to school in the morning. Less than 5 minutes from their home to school.

Both wear bike helmets. All the time. Everywhere.

Absurdities abound.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
There is a young couple on my street with 2 boys (twins) around 7 years of age. 100% physically healthy boys, developmentally on track. They play together on their front yard and sometimes I see them walking together on their way to school in the morning. Less than 5 minutes from their home to school.

Absurdities abound.

Wait they wear their bike helmets when they play outside and walk around? Jesus.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Wait they wear their bike helmets when they play outside and walk around? Jesus.
Correct. I too am lost for words.

One step short of the Boy(s) in the Plastic Bubble.

Not that this really has anything to do with vintage goalie masks, but I get the feeling those twins won’t be showing up at the local rink anytime soon.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Absurdities abound.

There was a company that sponsored youth soccer about 15 years or so ago. Their objective was to have all youth players eventually be mandated to wear gear - Full 90.

I would have parents come into my shop to buy these because they bought into the paranoia that soccer players would grow up brain damaged without the head gear. "All kids should be required to wear them."

A Neurologist who's sons played told me that the head gear did little in the form of protection, and I would share that with people.

Luckily the paranoia and self righteousness died down, and I barely see the head gear anymore.

But man did some parents go overboard without looking into the subject thoroughly...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Never quite understood why the "Pretzel Mask" or "Bone Mask" as it was sometimes called never really took off... Plante & others did use it for a brief period of time in the early 60's. Made of fiberglass yarn, the bars dissipating & lessening impact in comparison to the roughly 1/8" face flush fully molded masks and of course, it was cooler to wear. The model Dryden wore was actually made of metal as opposed to fiberglass, no give whatsoever and while I havent read or heard anything from him as to impact from a shot wearing it I would think it would either increase impact & "punch" if absent much in the way of interior contour padding or do a great job in simply deflecting the shot with little trauma if the padding was substantial enough to do so. Its possible I suppose that vision may have been a problem looking down, obscured peripheral vision perhaps what with the fiberglass "bars". Yet, it seems closest to the mask/cage combo's, solid design. Dunno. :dunno:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->