GDT: Retro GDT: Oilers at Hurricanes, 2006 Stanley Cup Finals Game 1

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
This series was ALL about momentum.

Here we are. Game 7. All the chips are on the table. Doug Weight is out of the lineup with an injury but the Canes get a boost from a soldier solely missing in action the last few months. Erik Cole-train is back. Canes take an early lead on a Frankie Kabs blast and the rest is history. Justin Williams seals the deal with an empty netter with Pronger flailing face first on the ice. Victory baby. It feels good.

It was Ward who scored the early first goal wasn't it? Kaberle score on the PP in the second to make it 2-0.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Was that the one they covered the puck in the crease? That I still think was in before.. but unprovable.
That would be the one. It either should have been ruled a goal (which it was but the refs disagreed) or we should have been awarded a penalty shot based on the criteria that the Pronger one was awarded in game 1

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A couple things I recollect differently now vs. then and some that I recollect the same way.

1. Watching that game, it reminds me why Justin Williams was my favorite player back then.
2. Back then, Hemsky and Samsonov used to scare me every time they had the puck. Now, watching it, it amazes me how often they went for the pretty play vs. the simple play, thus nullifying an offensive chance. If those two guys just made a simple play more often, I'm convinced the Oilers would have scored 1-2 more goals. Easier to see in hindsight vs. being at the game.
3. Pronger was such a stud.
4. Stillman, Weight, and Whitney all had great puck skill, but a calmness about them. It amazed me how easily they got the puck in the zone on the PP because of it.
5. Wallin was such a strong guy behind the net and along the boards.
6. I agree with the comments on Hedican from both Anton Dubinchuk and Bleed. His skating was other worldly, but he didn't know what to do with the puck once he got past the redline. He was a great partner for Commodore though, as it allowed Commodore to play aggressive, loose and jump into the play because Hedican covered for him.
7. I forgot how dominant the Brindy/Williams/Stillman line was.

Agree that Ladd/Bergeron play was clear as day and 100% on Bergeron.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
A couple things I recollect differently now vs. then and some that I recollect the same way.

6. I agree with the comments on Hedican from both Anton Dubinchuk and Bleed. His skating was other worldly, but he didn't know what to do with the puck once he got past the redline. He was a great partner for Commodore though, as it allowed Commodore to play aggressive, loose and jump into the play because Hedican covered for him.

This was something that always frustrated my dad to no end watching Hedican, he was such an incredible skater but seemed to take so many stupid stick penalties. Granted a lot of stick penalties were called that year but someone with such great skating should not have been reaching that much.

Reactions: DaveG

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
This game was so great. I remember watching this with two buddies who were Wings fans and hating the Oilers. We all couldn't believe the comeback and the two Ward saves.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Maybe this is dumb but I always thought this game deserved a nickname like the Shock at the Rock or the Miracle at Molson. I know it was only game 1 and not like a potential elimination game or anything but it's just one of the coolest games ever to me. The best I could come up with is the Rally in Raleigh but I'm a dweeb

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Maybe this is dumb but I always thought this game deserved a nickname like the Shock at the Rock or the Miracle at Molson. I know it was only game 1 and not like a potential elimination game or anything but it's just one of the coolest games ever to me. The best I could come up with is the Rally in Raleigh but I'm a dweeb
See I was thinking more along the lines of a specific play or sequence like "the catch", "the drive", "kick six" or "wide right". This one would be "the turnover"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad