GDT: Retro GDT: Game 7 Canes vs Oilers 2006

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I know it’s been said a thousand times, but this is one of the greatest sports photos ever. I don’t know who took it but they could not have framed it any better.

LB8P5127-DMID1-5epdcg1gw-1280x720.jpg

Beautiful

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Also really kinda funny to realize that that's the most recent time a team has won the Cup in a Game 7 at home. There's an energy that comes with that that just can't be duplicated.

And to this day, the only major league championship for this region. 1988 to 2020 and the 2006 Carolina Hurricanes are the only ones to have climbed the mountain.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I had never watched the entire game 7 on TV/online until now. I remember being there so vividly. Was in LL south and I got there early and STILL had trouble finding a parking spot and had to park way back at the far end of the parking lot, kind of in a ditch near Trinity.

It was fun watching it on TV now as there is stuff you don't see when it's live because of how everyone was crazy and standing the whole time. The pace of the game is still amazing to me. I remember at that start of the game thinking "no way these teams can keep this pace up", but it was intense the whole game. I wasn't convinced they'd win it until about the 4 minute mark where I finally thought "They are really going to do it." When Williams potted the EN goal, it was absolute nuts.

I was rotating taking my kids to the playoff games as my wife isn't a huge hockey fan and I had 2 seats. My eldest, who played hockey and is a hockey fan came to game 5 and he left crushed because he thought he'd see them win the cup and he convinced his siblings to let him go to game 7. The people that sat around me used to joke about which kid brought more luck. At the last minute, my wife pulled rank and decided she was going to game 7 instead of any of the kids. One of the guys sitting near me asked "What type of luck do you bring?" She responded "The mother load". (no need for an obligatory hotwife joke here).

Most amazing time at a sporting event ever and one I'll never forget. Watching it on TV brought back a lot of the emotions and memory from that game.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
As a college kid, my GF now wife, went to the game with me. It was of the largest life purchases of the time to go. *side note* my wife still gets made about me going to Game 7 of the Buffalo series without her. I went to the stadium on a whim to see if tickets were available and I was to get a single ticket from the box office in the LL, right before the game. Not sure if that is a good thing for the fan base but it was good for me that day.

I agree @Boom Boom Apathy watching that game brings back all of the memories from standing the whole game. I don’t think i ever left the seat for concessions or rest room either.
Man the craziness as I watched JW pot the empty netter right in front if me. It was electric.

I got a picture of the side view of JW scoring and Pronger desperation diving behind him from the news and observer. You can see my wife and I in the background. We put it in a shadow box with out ticket.

Reactions: cptjeff

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Definitely the best sporting event I've ever attended as well. I was a poor college kid at the time. I convinced both my mom and dad to buy me one ticket as early birthday presents. After much thought, I went with games 5 and 7 to maximize the potential to see the Cup in person. Obviously, game 5 was great, but didn't end how we wanted. But game 7 couldn't have paid off more.

The crowd was outstanding between the noise and the standing. The game was amazing. The celebration was fantastic, including all the families and friends. Getting into the Eye was crazy. People were about to get trampled getting in and they finally started to control the flow. I was only able to afford one t-shirt. I wore that thing out. I've been disappointed they never had any other shirts available, including the 10 year anniversary games.

In addition to my memories, I have my 2.3 Megapixel photos to remember it all by. Hopefully not quite a once in a lifetime experience.

Reactions: cptjeff

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
My favorite memories of the game are two:

I saw it with my Dad. We stood by our seats for an hour after the game ended, just watching everything happen on the ice. It was so surreal.

The best part is we got back to the house (summer after my freshman year at NCSU, was living with my folks that summer) at 12 or 1 AM. We got huge bowls of ice cream and watched the game beginning to end again that night. I went to bed around 4:00 AM and didn't bother to go to work or even call in. I can't imagine doing that now LOL.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Watched it w/ friends at a house on Lake Norman. Still one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
this is still the greatest 5 on 3 kill I've ever seen

Because you have not seen the Worlds Finals in 2010. The Czech Republic vs Russia. 6 on 3 at some points. Almost Olympic games worthy team for Russia, almost no names for us except Vokoun who never gets enough love and some old fella wearing 68.

But hey, bias.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad