GDT: Retro GDT: Game 7 Canes @ Devils 2009 - SHOCK at the ROCK

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
FWIW I still stand by my nickname for this series: The best playoff series nobody watched.

Seriously, IIRC we weren't even the national broadcast for game 7 of this series. All Versus was showing was either Pens vs Flyers (OK I get that) or f***ing Caps vs Rangers (not so much) any time that we'd have a game. And our series would have better games and more crazy finishes than both those combined.
Game 5 boggles the mind. 86 total shots between both teams, with one goal scored.

And the series as a whole, man. The overtime games. The literal last second by Jussi.

If the teams involved were say any other two teams it would (rightly) be held up as one of the greatest series ever.

Jussi with another clutch goal and the goat celebration!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I forgot about that (Caps/Rangers same night). So only us in the Carolinas (I assume this game was blacked out in Tennessee and Georgia) and the MSG markets saw this, and most in the MSG viewing area were probably watching the Rangers.

I do remember ESPNs website jumping the gun and saying the Caps and Devils would be the next series, not so fast ESPN!
There were at least two people in a dorm in Potsdam, NY watching that MSG broadcast, and shouting at each other down the hall during the game. For that matter, we were doing that for pretty much the entire series. Others were watching I'm sure, because playoff hockey and it was very much a hockey school, but only one Devils diehard and only one Canes diehard around.

Good times.

Reactions: DaveG

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
When I went off to grad school in another state a struck up a conversation about hockey with a dude I had just met. He asked who ky team was, I told him the canes, he immediately said, "man jussi jokinen... f*** that guy"

Turned out he was a devils fan.

Also man was playoff E Staal something to see.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
When I went off to grad school in another state a struck up a conversation about hockey with a dude I had just met. He asked who ky team was, I told him the canes, he immediately said, "man jussi jokinen... f*** that guy"

Devils will forever be baffled how he didn't get a penalty for goalie interference, while the rest of the hockey world simply laughs a their's and Brodeur's stupidity! It warms my heart!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I'm convinced that if the league got to see that version of Staal more than twice in his career before the Edler hit he'd be a no questions asked HoF player. He still might get there on the strength of career totals but he'd be a stronger case than Nieuwendyk was when he got in if we had managed to make it on the reg.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm convinced that if the league got to see that version of Staal more that twice in his career before the Edler hit he'd be a no questions asked HoF player. He still might get there on the strength of career totals but he'd be a stronger case than Nieuwendyk was when he got in if we had managed to make it on the reg.

The Edler hit didn't really have that big of an impact did it? Maybe it slowed him down for part of one season, but wasn't it an MCL injury that didn't require surgery? Although I'm not a Dr. don't most people get a 100% recover in weeks - months afterwards?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Devils will forever be baffled how he didn't get a penalty for goalie interference, while the rest of the hockey world simply laughs a their's and Brodeur's stupidity! It warms my heart!
In their defense they had to listen to Chico go on about Jokinen running Marty over inside the crease, when in reality they actually just sort of bumped into each other a few feet outside the crease.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
In their defense they had to listen to Chico go on about Jokinen running Marty over inside the crease, when in reality they actually just sort of bumped into each other a few feet outside the crease.
They didn't even "bump into each other" though...Brodeur literally came about 3-4 feet OUT of the crease right into the line of the path Jokinen was slowly moving along (no sudden change in speed or direction, nor was he looking). Brodeur was just a grade-A flopper always trying to draw the call...He legit trolled himself!! The only time I cheered for Sean Avery was when he harassed the **** out of Brodeur standing in front of him, it was kind of a karma moment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad