GDT: Retro GDT: Game 2 Canes vs Oilers - 2006

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm surprised. The international feed of this game was all over the Doug Weight goal being good immediately. NBC never saw the behind the net or overhead view until about 5 minutes later and spent the interim whining about how bad a call it was.

If they had that same view, not showing it was intentionally trying to stir controversy.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Were the Oilers really crying about Roloson getting hurt?

Ladd getting shoved into him is like the prime example of Newton’s first law of motion.

He got them to the dance but he was on fumes and playing way over his head. He had to turn into a pumkin at some point and game 1 was it.

Ive gone over this series meticulously and Markanen played a great series. If you look at the 3 losses he was in net for it looks like this.

Game 2 the oilers the oilers didn’t score a goal. You’re not winning that game with Roy and Hasek in net if you can’t score 1.

Game 4 he gives up two. I don’t remember the goals off hand but recall reviewing them and there wasn’t anything he could have really done on them. Oilers score 1 goal. That’s not gonna get it done guys.

Game 7 he gives up two goals on screened point shots. Oilers scored 1 goal. It’s game 7. You gotta bring it better than that.

Edmonton won zero games in the previous 3 rounds by a score of 1-0. It’s a pretty big stretch to think that the Oilers win either of those two games by that 1-0 score in the finale. In fact they didn’t win a single game the entire season by a score of 1-0.

Plain and simple when you only score 1 or 0 goals in three games of a series, you’re probably gonna lose that series.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
He got them to the dance but he was on fumes and playing way over his head. He had to turn into a pumkin at some point and game 1 was it.

Ive gone over this series meticulously and Markanen played a great series. If you look at the 3 losses he was in net for it looks like this.

Game 2 the oilers the oilers didn’t score a goal. You’re not winning that game with Roy and Hasek in net if you can’t score 1.

Game 4 he gives up two. I don’t remember the goals off hand but recall reviewing them and there wasn’t anything he could have really done on them. Oilers score 1 goal. That’s not gonna get it done guys.

Game 7 he gives up two goals on screened point shots. Oilers scored 1 goal. It’s game 7. You gotta bring it better than that.

Edmonton won zero games in the previous 3 rounds by a score of 1-0. It’s a pretty big stretch to think that the Oilers win either of those two games by that 1-0 score in the finale. In fact they didn’t win a single game the entire season by a score of 1-0.

Plain and simple when you only score 1 or 0 goals in three games of a series, you’re probably gonna lose that series.
People also always seem to forget that he had already let in 4 goals. It wasnt like he was having some magical night

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
They turned it on in the playoffs and finals, but it was pretty average during the season in general.
Same with the power play, I remember being concerned about special teams possibly being the difference in a Ottawa series (they were f***ing lethal) that year iirc. But come the playoffs both units flipped the switch and went in to straight up cheat code territory.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That Stillman goal is one of my all time favorites. Only Canes fans remember it, but I've never really seen someone pull it off in that same way. When Svech talks about working on other trick goals, this is always one that has come to my mind that I bet he could pull off.

1000% his lacrosse goals reminded me of this. Really have to find the right situation and positioning for this to work though. Not sure it's something you can practice because so much depends on finding that open space after flicking the puck over the net.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Amazing how good Stillman was for us that year. The fact that he signed with us because "nobody wanted him" makes it even more incredible.

Reactions: cptjeff

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Amazing how good Stillman was for us that year. The fact that he signed with us because "nobody wanted him" makes it even more incredible.

The man had 80 points in 81 games in 03-04 (you know, the year Josef Vasicek was our leading goalscorer with 19). 80 points was tied for 7th in the league in scoring with Daniel Alfredsson (St. Louis won the Art Ross with just 94).

How no one wanted him is a mystery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad