Retired Numbers Bugging Others

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Curious, I am watching a Yankee game now (though not a fan), and am always struck that Judge, monster, young kid wears 99.

I had trouble with it from day one...but get he is a good kid.

question is has there ever been a number from a player so respected that players from other sports respected it...never users it?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Curious, I am watching a Yankee game now (though not a fan), and am always struck that Judge, monster, young kid wears 99.

I had trouble with it from day one...but get he is a good kid.

question is has there ever been a number from a player so respected that players from other sports respected it...never users it?

No.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
It's weird enough that the Flames and Ducks have to have Gretzky's number retired, I doubt the Yankees give a shit about how good of a hockey player he was

Imagine if hockey players couldn't wear 42 because Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball, it doesn't make sense

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Judge wears 99 cause it was assigned to him in spring training, they usually give the guys who aren’t going to make the team the high numbers, he wears it as a reminder. ( that was recollection off the top of my head not sure how accurate it is.)

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Judge wears 99 cause it was assigned to him in spring training, they usually give the guys who aren’t going to make the team the high numbers, he wears it as a reminder. ( that was recollection off the top of my head not sure how accurate it is.)
Yeah that's exactly it.

Plus, the number he always wore (44) is retired.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
What's Gretzky have to do with baseball??

His son was drafted by the Cubs. Plus....
GRETZ%2BJAYS.jpg

CkmasVKUkAAM-1f.jpg

(1983 Oilers plus Gordie Howe)

Reactions: TB12

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
I think numbers should only be retired for a set period of time, say 30 years or something like that. Otherwise it's going to be severely limiting and silly in the long run.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Not sure why 99 in another sport should bother anyone. It’s like people who get upset at Ho Samg for wearing 66. I remember there was a fit thrown by a lot of people over Jared Spurgeon wearing 66 in training camp.
As for actual numbers that I don’t think should be retired, Ray Bourque in Colorado. Don’t get me wrong, Bourque is one of my all time favourites, have one of his 1990 era jerseys, but I don’t think you should have a jersey retired after 1.25 seasons with a team. Cup or not

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
It's weird enough that the Flames and Ducks have to have Gretzky's number retired, I doubt the Yankees give a **** about how good of a hockey player he was

Imagine if hockey players couldn't wear 42 because Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball, it doesn't make sense

I think Jackie Robinson is the disrespectful one. Tyler Bozak wore the “A” for a long time in Toronto.

Reactions: shello and iamjs

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Hockey is not the center of the sports universe and it certainly does not own the number 99. It's pretty entitled to say Judge shouldn't wear that number, even if he was a bench warmer.

Reactions: Pickles

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I think every number retired in hockey should be unretired[sort of] . I am fine hanging them from the rafters...but let others wear them too . That way we have many single digit uniform #s to use and also are still paying tribute to the retired franchise type players . I don't think any # should be out of circulation .....and I have been a fan for 50+ years .

Reactions: RegDunlop

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
When I say no NHL player should be able to wear #3 because Dale Earnhardt was #3 out loud, it sounds really stupid.

Also, we'd have to get into triple digit numbers beause all the ones below 100 will be retired across all sports.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
When I say no NHL player should be able to wear #3 because Dale Earnhardt was #3 out loud, it sounds really stupid.

That's actually a great reference because while reading the thread I was thinking 'there have been 89 NASCAR drivers who drove #99'

It's a sacred number in hockey, but that's about it. I also think numbers shouldn't be retired, just honored in some way. I'm sure no one would choose #99 in Edmonton/LA/NYR anytime soon even if it wasn't officially retired. And in 200 years if someone went for #99, it wouldn't have the same meaning then anyway and it wouldn't be a big disrespect to Gretzky and the fanbase.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
After all Gretzky has done for the Canadiens, they should not be letting anyone wear his number?

Yes, sounds even dumber when you replace "Canadiens" with "Yankees"...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->