Retired Jerseys

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
Shockingly he was still a better GM than Chiarelli.

He actually wasn't awful until right about the point where Pronger demanded out. After that it was just a series of missteps trying to cobble together a roster that without its best player was very clearly in need of a rebuild just months after losing in the Stanley Cup finals.

This right here, thank you for someone else saying this as I have been beating this drum for over a decade on these boards, the oilers needed to go into rebuild the day after Pronger publicly asked for that trade but could not do it because of how this so called greatest fanbase in the league would have reacted as well as owners who were barely hanging on at that point financially would not have supported it.

Reactions: ConnorMcNugesaitl

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I think the Oilers have a standard the Oilers have set for having their number retired. Al Hamilton is an odd case that really shouldn't be part of this discussion. Can anyone say they have ever seen him play?

Other than Hamilton the standard for having your number retired by the Oilers has been Hall of Fame, multiple rings and not being a dick when serving as President of Hockey Operations. (semi-joking)

I have no issue with the Hall of Fame and multiple rings part of the standard. Would love to see Nuge, Drai and McDavid all have their numbers retired in 15 years time.

I am really conflicted about KLowe. He was a good solid stay at home D. He was decent in his one season as head coach. I think he is clearly the second best GM this team has had. Holland is too early in his time with the team to judge.

Lowe played a huge role in the 2006 cup run. People dismiss the Pronger trade as the Oilers being gifted a stud D. He could have been gifted to a lot of other teams, but he ended up with the Oilers for one glorious season. Lowe trade Mike York and a fourth rounder for Peca. Samsonov was brought in. The Roloson trade was hella risky but it almost paid off.

All of that is not enough to overcome the unmitigated disaster Lowe was as POHO. Tambellini?? MacT??????? Chiarelli? Complete dog's breakfast of GMs. Nevermind the arrogance leading to abysmal public relations.

If Lowe left the Oilers on bad terms would anyone be inclined to side with Lowe? Then we shouldn't even think about retiring his jersey.

Al Hamilton was honoured for being the only player to be with the team for the full 7 years and being a good defenceman. He would've played longer and may have made to the Stanley Cup era but he took a puck in the eye in the 1979-80 season and was forced to retire at 34.

If you guys want to go deeper, both Norm Ullman and Jacques Plante were HHOFs and actually played for the team. There were a couple of more players that were just paper transactions as they didn't want to play for the Oil after the Minnesota Fighting Saints folded. They were then sent to New England. I think they were Dave Keon and Johnny McKenzie. I had a conversation with a Whalers historian and he set me straight about the whole convoluted affair.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Al Hamilton should have never had his number retired since he didn't play for the actual NHL team.

As for the rest, I'm fine with Gretzky having his number retired. The others, not so much.

PS: I just hate the concept of retiring numbers to begin with.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I don’t think this will hold the test of time. Chiarelli will look pretty good in hindsight just off of his drafting. Lowe left the team in last place with no prospects.

Depends how much credit you give a GM for drafting.

The other issue with Chiarelli is a lot of times you can say about a GM well it didn't work out but I understand the logic behind it. Often with Chiarelli it's wow that's awful and WTF was he thinking this makes absolutely no sense.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Al Hamilton should have never had his number retired since he didn't play for the actual NHL team.

As for the rest, I'm fine with Gretzky having his number retired. The others, not so much.

Agreed I prefer for numbers to live on and for people to be able to wear the numbers their heroes wore.

I don't know why a banner and a statue or whatever aren't enough and they need to take the number out of circulation too.

Reactions: Dr Black

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Depends how much credit you give a GM for drafting.

The other issue with Chiarelli is a lot of times you can say about a GM well it didn't work out but I understand the logic behind it. Often with Chiarelli it's wow that's awful and WTF was he thinking this makes absolutely no sense.
I can think of way more of those instances with Lowe than chiarelli. Extending Horcoff, the Penner offer sheet, letting Smyth go over 500k. The whole Lupul mess. Lowe was a disaster outside of one Cinderella run.

Celleyna

Jun 4, 2009
I know that a lot of you don't like Lowe (for good reasons too). I also know that his HHOF nod is dubious at best. But for this organization... he absolutely should have his number retired.

First ever draft pick
Scored the first ever Oiler goal
Was here for all 5 stanley cups
Most ever games played as an oiler

2nd most points by a defenceman (yes, he did score - but was a defensive defenceman through and through)
4th most penalty minutes ever (and only non-meathead in the top 10)
4th in even strength goals by a defenceman (yes, he did score - but was a defensive defenceman through and through)
3rd in most shots by a defenceman
T-2nd most shorthanded goals by a defenceman

Playoffs
1st in games played
4th in defenceman goals
3rd in defenceman Assists
Only ONCE did a team he played on miss the playoffs (with the RANGERS)
Does everyone forget the broken bones he played with in 1988 playoffs and never missed a shift? Remember how he

7 all star appearances
King Clancy award winner (leadership and humanitarian)

Assistant captain
Captain
Player-coach
Coach
GM
Executive Vice President
President of Hockey Operations
Vice-Chair of the OEG

Guy was the heart and soul of the 80's oilers like Ryan Smyth was the heart and soul of the 90's

Dude has made some huge mistakes and blunders (haven't we all???) but there should be no doubt that his number should be retired for this organization.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Gonna have to wait until Vancouver hangs it first. Greatest Canuck of all time. Hell they should honor Mess and Sundin on the same night. 1 and 2, baby.

2010 was at the Bronze Medal game for Olympics with my cousin. Messier was interviewed at some point - intermission, tv timeout - and when he saw him he and any Canuck fan in the audience booed. Was pretty funny. Messier was talking about how confident he was going into World Championships in the fall with MacTavish coaching...they finished near the bottom as I remember.

Reactions: GOilers88

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007

Maybe he did something bannerworthy with the WHA Oilers. But I'm not sure why his NHL #3 needs to be retired.

Reactions: Dr Black

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad