Retired Jerseys

Dooman

Mar 8, 2006
The main board made me think about this.

The Oilers have always had the HHoF as a requirement for jersey retirement.

Do you guys think Lowe gets his jersey retired?

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I hate any jersey retirement. Honour the jerseys of important players, but never retire them.

But to answer the OP's question, yes, the Oilers will retire Lowe #4

Reactions: ConnorMcNugesaitl

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I cannot wait for the day this franchise finally does the right thing and recognizes Mike Richter's long and illustrious Oilers career by hoisting his number to the rafters.

Reactions: MesstoFace11

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Retire yakupov's number 64 first.

Just kidding. Anyway I think his number should be retired, considering the career he had for the oilers. Although I hate the old boys club you get your number retired for your playing career, obviously, even if he was a really bad manager.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I hate any jersey retirement. Honour the jerseys of important players, but never retire them.

But to answer the OP's question, yes, the Oilers will retire Lowe #4

I think the threshold of being elected to the HHOF is reason enough for a jersey retirement. That said Oilers should honour players like Ryan Smith or Dave Semenko for example, whose jerseys will never be retired but were hugely important to the success of the team and were pillars in the community along with being absolute fan favourites.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think the Oilers have a standard the Oilers have set for having their number retired. Al Hamilton is an odd case that really shouldn't be part of this discussion. Can anyone say they have ever seen him play?

Other than Hamilton the standard for having your number retired by the Oilers has been Hall of Fame, multiple rings and not being a dick when serving as President of Hockey Operations. (semi-joking)

I have no issue with the Hall of Fame and multiple rings part of the standard. Would love to see Nuge, Drai and McDavid all have their numbers retired in 15 years time.

I am really conflicted about KLowe. He was a good solid stay at home D. He was decent in his one season as head coach. I think he is clearly the second best GM this team has had. Holland is too early in his time with the team to judge.

Lowe played a huge role in the 2006 cup run. People dismiss the Pronger trade as the Oilers being gifted a stud D. He could have been gifted to a lot of other teams, but he ended up with the Oilers for one glorious season. Lowe trade Mike York and a fourth rounder for Peca. Samsonov was brought in. The Roloson trade was hella risky but it almost paid off.

All of that is not enough to overcome the unmitigated disaster Lowe was as POHO. Tambellini?? MacT??????? Chiarelli? Complete dog's breakfast of GMs. Nevermind the arrogance leading to abysmal public relations.

If Lowe left the Oilers on bad terms would anyone be inclined to side with Lowe? Then we shouldn't even think about retiring his jersey.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I like the Oil have high standards for retiring a jersey number. That's how it should be and the Hockey Hall of Fame is an appropriate achievement to recognize exceptionalism. After Guy Carbonneau got in (which I don't think he deserved or Clark Gillies), I feel it is appropriate that Kevin Lowe receive this honour. Never a flashy hockey player but a high quality grit, character d-man who was a cornerstone on six Cup championships. Decent GM who, unlike most of the Dynasty Boys, opted to stay in Edmonton and continue the learning from Sather.

Smyth was a good Oiler but not an all time elite player so no I don't think he warrants his jersey retired. Nor Semenko who was the ultimate policeman for the greatest NHL team assembled. Find a different way to honour their contribution. But leave the rafter jerseys to those that rank among the game's elite recognized through membership in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think the Oilers have a standard the Oilers have set for having their number retired. Al Hamilton is an odd case that really shouldn't be part of this discussion. Can anyone say they have ever seen him play?

Other than Hamilton the standard for having your number retired by the Oilers has been Hall of Fame, multiple rings and not being a dick when serving as President of Hockey Operations. (semi-joking)

I have no issue with the Hall of Fame and multiple rings part of the standard. Would love to see Nuge, Drai and McDavid all have their numbers retired in 15 years time.

I am really conflicted about KLowe. He was a good solid stay at home D. He was decent in his one season as head coach. I think he is clearly the second best GM this team has had. Holland is too early in his time with the team to judge.

Lowe played a huge role in the 2006 cup run. People dismiss the Pronger trade as the Oilers being gifted a stud D. He could have been gifted to a lot of other teams, but he ended up with the Oilers for one glorious season. Lowe trade Mike York and a fourth rounder for Peca. Samsonov was brought in. The Roloson trade was hella risky but it almost paid off.

All of that is not enough to overcome the unmitigated disaster Lowe was as POHO. Tambellini?? MacT??????? Chiarelli? Complete dog's breakfast of GMs. Nevermind the arrogance leading to abysmal public relations.

If Lowe left the Oilers on bad terms would anyone be inclined to side with Lowe? Then we shouldn't even think about retiring his jersey.

I saw Hamilton play and I know him as well. Our kids played hockey together once upon a time.

As for Lowe his number is up there because of his contributions to the team as a player and not an executive.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I cannot wait for the day this franchise finally does the right thing and recognizes Mike Richter's long and illustrious Oilers career by hoisting his number to the rafters.

After we do that the SJ Sharks can raise #11 Mark Messier to the rafters.

My guess: he’s still there with tears rolling down his face.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
On paper they were.

Well I’ll be damned. You are correct. My apologies - I thought you were just missing the joke we were trying for. At least about Leetch I see something...I don’t see any mention of Lindros to Oilers and now I’m hesitant to call BS on that either.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Lowe the player’s number deserves to be in the rafters.

Lowe the GM/POHO deserves to be in the dumpsters.

Shockingly he was still a better GM than Chiarelli.

He actually wasn't awful until right about the point where Pronger demanded out. After that it was just a series of missteps trying to cobble together a roster that without its best player was very clearly in need of a rebuild just months after losing in the Stanley Cup finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad