Retire Ken Dryden's Jersey NoW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chooch*

With the 30th year anniversary of the dynasty team coming up in a couple of months, isnt it the time to make amends?

He was the first to retire from that team.

No offense to Gaston gingras, and whomever also wore it afterwards, but it needs to get hung in the rafters.

And why not #18, #19, #23 also.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
lets retire every number possible while we're at it, and montreal can change to an alphanumeric system like liscence plates

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Dryden's 29 is a no-brainer to be retired up to 2009. With Moore, Cournoyer and Geoffrion retired this season, there's still 6 players to honor. Roy is likely to be the last of the class.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Ken Dryden was overrated. But he did put up the numbers and win the Cups. He was never the same after '73 tho.

Robinson too, had a few dominating years in the late 70's, but wasn't the same player in the 80's. He didn't use his body as much and didn't fight. He did a bit against Quebec, but that's about it. Very passive player.

Gainey too. The Cup years seemed to take a toll. He wasn't the same. But he revived in '86.

Do their numbers HAVE to be retired?

If they're gonna retire Dickie Moore and Cournoyer, then yes.

But by Montreal standards, no.

By league standards, yes and then there's more to come.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
What about #33?

(bring in Ronald Corey and Mario Tremblay for the ceremony)

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
raketheleaves said:
I'd say yes. Even by Montreal standards a guy like Larry Robinson has to have his number retired. No for Gainey. I'd like to see Lach and Joliat honnored thought.

ATLANTARANGER*

You have to be kidding about Dryden, Robinson & Gainey.

raketheleaves said:
Ken Dryden was overrated. But he did put up the numbers and win the Cups. He was never the same after '73 tho.

Robinson too, had a few dominating years in the late 70's, but wasn't the same player in the 80's. He didn't use his body as much and didn't fight. He did a bit against Quebec, but that's about it. Very passive player.

Gainey too. The Cup years seemed to take a toll. He wasn't the same. But he revived in '86.

If they're gonna retire Dickie Moore and Cournoyer, then yes.

But by Montreal standards, no.

By league standards, yes and then there's more to come.

There were certainly other players on those teams that had more flash, but those 3 were the glue. Robinson was the best of Savard, Lapointe. Gainey played in era where a defensive forward actually had a particular assignment. His play was the reason for the invention of the Selke Award! Dryden? He was the 1st of the BIG goalies. I remember seeing his playing for Cornell in the old ECAC holiday tournament at the old garden in NY. If Dryden isn't good than neither is Roy, after all Roy styled himself after Dryden and Dryden certainly had a higher % of winning cups per season played.

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
Dryden does not get enough respect.He was a big man, playing stand-up, and he had incredible reflexes and athleticism for a man so large.I doubt anyone ,even Hasek, has had faster legs, or a better glove hand, and he had fewer brainfarts than Roy.How would he compare to today's legends? With the equipment, and style change, I wouldn't doubt that Dryden would alternate from stand-up to butterfly, and it would take exceptional shooting to find the exposed holes.

He was the best goaltender of his era,with honourable mention to Bernie Parent.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
V-2 Schneider said:
Dryden does not get enough respect.He was a big man, playing stand-up, and he had incredible reflexes and athleticism for a man so large.I doubt anyone ,even Hasek, has had faster legs, or a better glove hand, and he had fewer brainfarts than Roy.How would he compare to today's legends? With the equipment, and style change, I wouldn't doubt that Dryden would alternate from stand-up to butterfly, and it would take exceptional shooting to find the exposed holes.

He was the best goaltender of his era,with honourable mention to Bernie Parent.

Right now, the guy that most reminds me of Dryden is Brodeur.

As for retired numbers, I think Robinson's should be the priority. On most teams, Dryden, Gainey, Roy and Robinson would have been automatics, but the Habs aren't most teams.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Psycho Papa Joe said:
Right now, the guy that most reminds me of Dryden is Brodeur.

As for retired numbers, I think Robinson's should be the priority. On most teams, Dryden, Gainey, Roy and Robinson would have been automatics, but the Habs aren't most teams.
Joe, there's been talk of a number of sweaters being honored over the next few years. Wouldn't you think they'd do it in order from retirement ? Having just done #12, it would then go Dryden, Savard,Robinson,Gainey, Roy. Not saying they'll all go up, #19 in my mind is the closest thing to a lock and they should be ashamed it's taken this long.

Oh,and Bruin guy, Larry speaks pretty good French, as does Gainey. Both were classy and smart enough to learn.

chooch*

Gerry4001 said:
Dryden wasn't french so forget about it.

Neither is Dickie Moore.

btw I liked when Milbury tried to put a goon on the 1991 All Star team instead of a French Canadian legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->