Rest in Peace - Canadiens1958

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Very sad news. RIP and condolences to those close to him
I'll miss reading his posts, they were always interesting and informative

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I'm not on the boards here much lately but I'm really sad to hear about this.. Canadiens1958 was a fixture here and definitely brought a unique perspective on things.

Reactions: Hobnobs

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Very sad news, he was such a knowledgeable poster. If 1958 was his birth year then he was the same age as me. That's too young to go...:(

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
I just posted here on hfboards for the first time in several years, asking about coaching affecting team performance. The one name that was on my mind was actually Canadiens1958, hoping he would share some examples. Some minutes later I found this thread. :(
I agree with what seems to be the consensus here about him. I found him a bit "biased" at times, but lots of times he taught me something new and he sure was passionate and knew a lot.
Please continue to live and post, you other "oldies" here.

Reactions: Dingo

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Wow! That's a bummer. I often disagreed both with his opinions and his approach towards expressing them, but everyone worth disagreeing with and capable of keeping is civil is a big asset to any discussion. This is a loss. Hope you can read us at least, sir! In your own behalf, I also hope that you do not have to. :laugh:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Very sad to come on here and see this news; I always enjoyed reading his posts. Condolences to his family and friends. This site is poorer for his loss.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Its been a while since I took a look at HOH and this is a terrible thing to find upon arriving. We didn't always agree but he absolutely opened my mind to many different ways to understand the game and for that I am forever grateful.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I always enjoyed his posts. We tended to agree more often than not, but it was his knowledge of the game and history that were most interesting.

RIP Canadiens1958. You certainly added a lot to the History of Hockey board.

Reactions: LeBlondeDemon10

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I can't believe I didn't see this earlier! Haven't been around as much recently and this absolutely hurts even though I didn't know C58 personally.

All I can say is that I'm very sorry to hear about C58. My thoughts and prayers are with his entire family even well after the fact.

He was one of the most knowledgeable and active members here. The amount of information and hockey history I digested from him over the years was quite a large amount. We spoke numerous times via PM and interacted often.

There wasn't a better ambassador for the HoH than C58. I always valued his unique insight because quite frankly most here didn't see the players he did and we should be truly thankful he shared so many stories and opinions on all things hockey history. I know I learned a ton and it's obvious many others are in the same ball park.

God speed sir and we'll carry on the tradition of this board for you!

Reactions: BadgerBruce

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
No!!

C1958 was a great poster and a very friendly gentleman, with an incredible passion for the game. His Doug Harvey avatar was legendary.

RIP and prayers. Condolences to all family, friends and loved ones.

You will be missed.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
RIP my friend. We had more then our share of PM battles. But it was all in good fun. Gonna miss you.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
RIP C1958.

We may not have agreed on much but we both have a love for hockey so there was a connection there.

Reactions: Dingo

Victor Pywowarczuk

Feb 12, 2020
Hi, this is Victor Pywowarczuk, Andrew's brother.

Over the past several months I have been combing through Andrew's extensive social media presence. Today I came across this forum. I am touched by the many kind thoughts and comments.

I would like to provide some additional background on Andrew.

Andrew was born in 1952, the first son of two Ukrainians who were displaced by WWII and eventually met & settled in Montreal. I was born in 1957 and Andrew was a true big brother who helped blaze a trail for me. But more about that later.

I cannot shed any light about the significance to C1958, except to say that Andrew was a huge Canadiens' fan. As long as I can remember, Andrew would record, in his perfect cursive script, the box score of every Canadiens game in a notebook. For many years he also keep a Canadiens' scrapbook.

Andrew played a great deal of recreational sports, but not very many organized sports. That had more to do with our mother's reluctance to expose Andrew to potential harm. Even without organized sports, there were always games after school, on the weekends and during the summer. Andrew was always there with his little brother in tow.

Sports were always part Andrew's life. Because of this involvement and his constant nagging, made it possible for me to get involved in organized sports.

Many of you have mentioned Andrew's strong opinions on all hockey matters. I would say that would be an understatement. Andrew had very strong opinions and truly enjoyed "educating" anyone who was prepared to listen/read. Perhaps this can be explained by the fact that Andrew was a high school teacher before he dedicated his life to sports memorabilia & merchandise. His subject was math, hence his use of geometry to explain a point.

While I am a hockey fan, Andrew was passionate about hockey & his Montreal Canadiens. Andrew loved the fine details of hockey. A few years ago I was a having a beer with the HCs of McGill (our Alma Mater) hockey teams (Mens & Womens). They started to discuss the pros & cons of having the forward on the outlet pass facing the boards vs. butt against the boards. This nuance was lost on me, but I could not help thinking that Andrew would have really enjoyed that discussion.

Over the past several years Andrew's health had deteriorated. I live in Toronto, while Andrew lived near Sherbrooke in the Eastern Townships. We did not see each other much. I was aware that he had his Gall Bladder remove in 2018, but I shocked to discovered all of the heart medication we was on when I was going through his personal effects.

Andrew had a heart attack while on a Montreal bus. He was gone before help could arrive.

As a younger brother, you tend to view your older brother in a certain way. You see the good and you see the bad. I am very glad to see that Andrew impacted many people, in many positive different ways.

Regards

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Victor, thank you for sharing this - we greatly appreciate it. Andrew meant a lot to this forum. Thinking of you and your family right now.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Victor, thank you for sharing with this community information about Andy that helps us to more fully appreciate him. God Bless.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Hi, this is Victor Pywowarczuk, Andrew's brother.

Over the past several months I have been combing through Andrew's extensive social media presence. Today I came across this forum. I am touched by the many kind thoughts and comments.

I would like to provide some additional background on Andrew.

Andrew was born in 1952, the first son of two Ukrainians who were displaced by WWII and eventually met & settled in Montreal. I was born in 1957 and Andrew was a true big brother who helped blaze a trail for me. But more about that later.

I cannot shed any light about the significance to C1958, except to say that Andrew was a huge Canadiens' fan. As long as I can remember, Andrew would record, in his perfect cursive script, the box score of every Canadiens game in a notebook. For many years he also keep a Canadiens' scrapbook.

Andrew played a great deal of recreational sports, but not very many organized sports. That had more to do with our mother's reluctance to expose Andrew to potential harm. Even without organized sports, there were always games after school, on the weekends and during the summer. Andrew was always there with his little brother in tow.

Sports were always part Andrew's life. Because of this involvement and his constant nagging, made it possible for me to get involved in organized sports.

Many of you have mentioned Andrew's strong opinions on all hockey matters. I would say that would be an understatement. Andrew had very strong opinions and truly enjoyed "educating" anyone who was prepared to listen/read. Perhaps this can be explained by the fact that Andrew was a high school teacher before he dedicated his life to sports memorabilia & merchandise. His subject was math, hence his use of geometry to explain a point.

While I am a hockey fan, Andrew was passionate about hockey & his Montreal Canadiens. Andrew loved the fine details of hockey. A few years ago I was a having a beer with the HCs of McGill (our Alma Mater) hockey teams (Mens & Womens). They started to discuss the pros & cons of having the forward on the outlet pass facing the boards vs. butt against the boards. This nuance was lost on me, but I could not help thinking that Andrew would have really enjoyed that discussion.

Over the past several years Andrew's health had deteriorated. I live in Toronto, while Andrew lived near Sherbrooke in the Eastern Townships. We did not see each other much. I was aware that he had his Gall Bladder remove in 2018, but I shocked to discovered all of the heart medication we was on when I was going through his personal effects.

Andrew had a heart attack while on a Montreal bus. He was gone before help could arrive.

As a younger brother, you tend to view your older brother in a certain way. You see the good and you see the bad. I am very glad to see that Andrew impacted many people, in many positive different ways.

Regards

Andrew, you and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers Victor. Thank you so much for sharing some tidbits about Andrew's life and passion for hockey. The hockey world definitely lost a true fan and student of the game but obviously life and family are much bigger than a game.

Again, thank you for sharing and please know a lot of people, many whom never met your brother were greatly impacted by his hockey knowledge and passion. I'm certainly one of them.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Andrew had very strong opinions and truly enjoyed "educating" anyone who was prepared to listen/read. Perhaps this can be explained by the fact that Andrew was a high school teacher before he dedicated his life to sports memorabilia & merchandise. His subject was math, hence his use of geometry to explain a point.

This makes so much sense.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Victor, thank you for sharing these details with all of us. Condolences for you and your family, and a great loss to our community here. As you can see, your brother was loved, respected and enjoyed.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->