Boston Globe Rest Down the Stretch

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruce Cassidy considers backing off on ice time for his workhorses - The Boston Globe

Their lead in the Atlantic Division approaching Barcalounger comfort levels, the Bruins enjoyed a Sunday of slippers and naps after their proficient 4-0 dismissal of the Islanders the day before at Nassau Coliseum.

Backed by Tuukka Rask’s fourth shutout of the season, they awoke Sunday with 16 games remaining in the regular season and a 7-point bulge over the Bolts, who learned over the weekend that they will be without star forward Steven Stamkos (surgery to repair abdominal/core injury) until at least the start of the postseason next month.

The Bolts, with a game in hand, might not be fully focused in the Bruins rearview mirror, but they also aren’t that object closer than the sideview mirror indicates. The Bruins own the league’s best record (41-13-12) and appear poised to wrap their sweaty leather mitts around their first Presidents’ Trophy since 2014.

“The Bergys, the Zs,” said Cassidy, identifying the likes of Patrice Bergeron and Zdeno Chara as a couple of other guys who might be backed off slightly down stretch. “And McAvoy’s played a lot of minutes, so maybe he needs a day off down the road.”

Cassidy also added core performers David Krejci, Brad Marchand, and David Pastrnak (league-leading 47 goals) as others who potentially could see a slightly TOI slimdown, all in the spirit of managing their fatigue levels, both mental and physical, as the prospect of potentially playing into mid-June again approaches.

“I mean, I feel good,” said McAvoy, whose 21:30 in ice time Saturday ranked third on the club, behind Brandon Carlo (22:59) and Chara (21:49). “I am sure that is something that we’d have a conversation about. Whatever he does, we trust him. He always has the best interests of his players in mind — so whatever minutes it is, I try to do the best I can for the team.”

Reactions: bbfan419

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Didn’t read the article because I won’t give the Globe my money. But I think I get the idea...

Resting guys like Bergeron; Chara; Krejci; Pastranak; Rask; and Marchand seems like a no-brainer.

If the Bruins are going to go on a long run, they’ll need all hands on deck and healthy. If rust is a concern, I think they’ll shake that off pretty quick in the first round and be fine after that.

That’s my .02.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Rask has had plenty of rest and you can’t change his current schedule to play him less.

I guess after Saturdays Bolts game we should circle a couple games for each of Bergeron/Marchand/DK/Mcavoy/Carlo/Chara to take off. Wouldn’t do too much though.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I’d love to see him win the goal scoring title
Same here. I remember the 09-10 season where our only 20 goal guy was Marco Sturm and it seemed like we could never score. I never thought I'd see a Bruin in the hunt for the Rocket.

I'm all for resting our guys, but Pasta's young enough I don't think we'll need to rest him. Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, and Rask should be priorities to rest.

I know they're also young, but Carlo and McAvoy play such big minutes that I feel like it couldn't hurt to rest them a bit.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Same here. I remember the 09-10 season where our only 20 goal guy was Marco Sturm and it seemed like we could never score. I never thought I'd see a Bruin in the hunt for the Rocket.

I'm all for resting our guys, but Pasta's young enough I don't think we'll need to rest him. Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, and Rask should be priorities to rest.

I know they're also young, but Carlo and McAvoy play such big minutes that I feel like it couldn't hurt to rest them a bit.

Agreed.

But Carlo & McAvoy really don't play huge minutes. That said, they could be given a night off late in the season.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
upload_2020-3-2_18-35-26.jpeg

Reactions: LouJersey

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The guy is trying to win the Rocket Richard Trophy .They cannot sit him and steal that away from him.Bullshit move if they do.He is 23 not 43.

Where do they hang the banner for that?

Penguins fans LOVE to crow about all the Hart trophies and Ross trophies their players have accumulated since the Mario/Jagr Era. Bully for those guys. I want the Stanley Cup. The Bruins SHOULD have won it last year. How many more kicks at the can do you think Chara; Bergeron; Krejci; Rask; and Marchand really have? How about us? “We” waited 39 years for the last one. How long do you think we should have to wait for the next one? I’m sick of the waiting and the underachieving. If resting players increases the Bruins chances of winning the Cup by ANY margin, they should do it.

Shouldn’t they?

If Pastranak gets hurt in a playoff game that means something - so be it. That happens from time to time. I think Bruins fans can live with that.

If he gets hurt in some meaningless regular season game against a team headed for the draft lottery because some knuckle-dragging troglodyte on a call-up from the AHL has too much to prove... that, my friend, is a bridge too far.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Give them al
A few games off? Sure. Shut them down put of fear fpr injry. Nah.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Win both games against Tampa this week and you'll have the cushion needed to start resting people.

Sit Chara for a few, get Moore and Clifton a couple games.

Sit Bergy or Krejci and give Studnika a game or two.

Give Halak more starts. Rotate in the 4th liners.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Chara obviously needs rest before the (hopefully) long playoff grind no matter whether Tampa gets close or not (if Tampa sweeps Boston they are only 2 pts back with a game in hand). If Chara doesn't rest at least 1/4-1/3 of the remaining games, I'm going to be pissed off because there is no way he can keep up his effectiveness for 4 rounds of intense closely-packed playoff games if he isn't very well rested heading into the playoffs.

Reactions: Strafer

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Load management much like some NBA teams do with their stars should be employed by the Bruins. Finishing first over TB is not worth burning out your players, more important to be healthy and rested.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Penguins fans LOVE to crow about all the Hart trophies and Ross trophies their players have accumulated since the Mario/Jagr Era. Bully for those guys. I want the Stanley Cup. The Bruins SHOULD have won it last year. How many more kicks at the can do you think Chara; Bergeron; Krejci; Rask; and Marchand really have? How about us? “We” waited 39 years for the last one. How long do you think we should have to wait for the next one? I’m sick of the waiting and the underachieving. If resting players increases the Bruins chances of winning the Cup by ANY margin, they should do it.

Shouldn’t they?

If Pastranak gets hurt in a playoff game that means something - so be it. That happens from time to time. I think Bruins fans can live with that.

If he gets hurt in some meaningless regular season game against a team headed for the draft lottery because some knuckle-dragging troglodyte on a call-up from the AHL has too much to prove... that, my friend, is a bridge too far.
Its not meaningless to him or fans paying hundreds of dollars to watch a product that they expect to see the best players playing.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad