Respect

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
First rule of being a Leafs fan. Don't read the newspapers ever.

LOL pretty much true.
I was going to start a thread on this, but ill put my feelings here instead.

This bitter diatribe against the team has been around for at least fourteen years (I've been a fan since 2000). But it's never been this ... lopsided before. At least before, we got some credit, now they go out of their way to make the Leafs look horrendous (true. sometimes the team brings it on themselves) but they act like no other team in any other sport performs badly, or makes questionable moves etc.

Going way back when Bobby Hollik and Billy Guerin etc were big time free agents, and the media lambasted Quinn at the time for not throwing the bank at them for weeks until Hollik actually had an interview and admitted that A: Quinndid make an offer, but he wanted to stay in the US. Guerin also interviewed he was not interested in coming to Canada at the time, and also wanted to stay in the states for his kids. (this was when the Canadian dollar was at the all time low of like 65 cents to the American dollar, and Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary and Edmonton were hanging on by a thread. Just before Montreal got purchased by their new owner if I recall correctly).

I truly have to wonder what exactly the media wants from the Leafs?
If the team is doing crappy, they blast them.
If the team is winning they blast them, and go it's never going to last.
If the team is in the playoffs, it's "oh, they'll sweep/lose in five.
If another team wins a stanley cup it's "well the Leafs are still 46 years and counting!!" (that one pissed me off).

with the Kessel signing it's "Oh, well Nonis overpaid/you don't build a team around Phil Kessel" but I will bet you my TARDIS and David Tennant action figure had Kessel walked, it would have been "see. how DARE Nonis not try to sign Kessel for the money he deserves."

they mock and treat Kadri like crap and then are all shocked and amazed when Nonis (not to say he takes his cue from the Media) wants to offer an offer sheet.

Now it's all this corsi/fenwick crap.

I don't even think it's to sell newspapers or to get a reaction it's like they go out of their way to debase the team and the fanbase. (because, naturally we're the only team ever who cheers and teases about being undefeated because we won a few games in a row, or whatever. or honking our horns when we win playoff rounds.). God help us when we actually win a cup.

Someone pointed it out during the Ottawa game. someone skated around Phaneuf, and had a shot on goal, but no score. everyone media wise kept bringing it up, and talking about it etc. Someone on the leafs did the exact same thing to Karlsson, and scored and ... nothing. not a blessed word.

(and sadly enough... a big part of me wishes I was in Toronto because least Id be getting some Leafs coverage, instead of the little insert in the Calgary sun with "Oh the Leafs won. now let's talk about those Stampeders." )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad