Respect for former opponents?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The last four years we've been to the playoffs and we've racked up about eight teams that we played...several of those "teams" are of the same franchises (Vancouver, St. Louis, San Jose).

Is there any team you learned to respect, maybe even like, that we played in the past more than any other? Maybe even want some of those players despite us having a loaded roster already?

For me, I like New Jersey. Since they're not in the playoffs this year, I wanted to grab some of their cheap but deadly role players and replace our cheap but lagging guys. I also wanted Shane Doan to sign with us last year.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
I respect Sharks fans. The team itself however...not so much. It's the reverse with the Blues. Their team is so much like ours, but their fans on HF can be unbearable.

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
The team I respect the most is St Louis. They play so much like the Kings, are physical, and talented. I have a feeling that the Kings and Blues are going to meet many more times in the playoffs in the coming years.

Teams I have no respect for whatsoever: Phoenix. Can't stand them. That being said, I don't want them to move to a new city. They are a fun team to hate (at least I think so).

And personally I cannot stand New Jersey. Mostly because of their fans.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Love the sharks. Fun to watch. Lot of respect for Thorton (even more after this playoff series). Like their announcers. LOVE the GDT's they have going on in the forum. Many knowledgeable posters and...hey, I like the colour teal.

Blues. Built very well, and have little problems with the posters.

A bit of a change is Vancouver. I get the sense the 'this is the year' phase is over and I notice a lot of posters are switching to a 'we need to just rebuild' sense of apathy to the team. With mismanagement of Louongo and the firing of AV, there's more pity than anger I have to that team.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I respect Sharks fans. The team itself however...not so much. It's the reverse with the Blues. Their team is so much like ours, but their fans on HF can be unbearable.

well, there's also Kelly Chase and Darren Pang to deal with as well.

bitter ex-blues player (Chase) and current blues commentator (Pang), that as commentators take shots at the Kings. Totally unprofessional, but they make it easy to see how some blues fans get so bitter.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Now I'm not talking about their fanbases, just the teams.

I think we've played a lot of good teams. They all deserve some degree of respect, this is true.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If anybody has a sense of entitlement, it's them. It seems to me from their posts that we should have just rolled over and let them walk all over us last year because they're the Devils and have Brodeur.

Their around the league thread is hilarious. Hey, at least he'll probably be on the new NHL cover!

Canucks and Phoenix are the ones I can't stand. And San Jose. Add the Blues and New Jersey too. Oh, and Montreal for what they did to us in 1993. Now Chicago as well.

THIS! :laugh:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The only ones I have no care for are the Canucks. They're an arrogant team with an arrogant staff with an arrogant fan base. They deserve all the ridicule they get for acting like some pompous and entitled little *****es. I haven't seen a team and a group of fans cry and whine more than the Canucks. It's a rarity to find a level headed and reasonable Canucks fan.

ziggyfan

Oct 7, 2011
Phoenix I can't stand. I know lots of fans say they want Doan but not me. He is a disgrace the way he acted last year playoffs against us. Have no idea why he is "respected" around the league.

Nefarious

Classless Doty
Jun 27, 2006
King's Landing
Can't stand the Cryotes.

7208070486_f7a-smithisadb_b4-0sw.jpg

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
I think I got along best with Shark fans. It's too bad Joe Thornton is on their team. I can't stand that ****er.

Last edited:

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
I'm sure this will sound corny but I respect all the franchises and most of the individuals within them.

Of the teams that would apply here, I would say the guy at the top of my list played for Vancouver in 2010, that would be one William Reid Mitchell. Obviously the Kings felt the same way, right?

Bryce Salvador is a guy I have immense respect for a player, a professional and a person as well. He is an intelligent, thoughtful guy and a very hard working player, just a consummate pro.

I couldn't say anything negative about the group in St Louis, very hard working and unpretentious from their top guys to their depth guys. Jackman strikes me as a guy who'd be a great teammate, Backes I thought was very classy and a strong leader by example.

This last one is sure to be unpopular but in my opinion a guy like Torres is someone you hate on the opposing but love on your own squad. Straight-line player, underrated speed, serviceable hands and plays with a ton of fire. If he keeps trying to reform himself, he'll be a very valuable player. I would be completely unsurprised if the Sharks were to re-sign him, but I also think he'd be a great addition to the Kings group of wingers or a number of other gritty, competitive teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad