Resignings & releases you would make

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Our Blue Jackets seem well on their way to their 4th straight playoff appearance (nothing ever guaranteed). During December and January the depth has been revealed. Some are saying this recent stretch "proves" or validates Jarmo knew what he was doing at the trade deadline last year. You may share that opinion - some may not.

To discuss that point, I offer the following exercise; Who would you have kept or resigned, but you must also include who you would move off the team today.

An example might be; I would have signed Matt Calvert to a long-term deal and not have Riley Nash on the squad. Another example; I would have kept Anthony Duclaire, not done the Ryan Dzingle trade, but Tex is off the roster.

For our purposes, you do not need to worry about salary cap. But you must consider that some players left and didn't want to re-sign here regardless of what they were offered. Plus you must consider no move contracts. So you can't say "I would have kept Panarin and gotten Dubinsky off the team".

Discuss:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
RYAN MACINNIS

Made his NHL debut with Jackets, playing 10 games in his fourth pro season.

Remember him being fairly highly regarded when he was first drafted. Any impressions of his time with the Jackets and is there a reason he gets re-signed as a RFA?

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
RYAN MACINNIS

Made his NHL debut with Jackets, playing 10 games in his fifth pro season.

Remember him being fairly highly regarded when he was first drafted. Any impressions of his time with the Jackets and is there a reason he gets re-signed as a RFA?

Weird spot to bring him up. Are you hoping he becomes available?

In any case, MacInnis took big strides this year. His skating and exemplary defensive game make him look like a useful 4C, not sure the Jackets will use him next year but I hope he sticks around.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is this with or without hindsight bias? If it is with it then it's a little too obvious, you keep Wild Bill. If it is without hindsight bias then no one should mention him, as no one did when he was selected by Vegas.

I was pretty vocal about the disaster Jarmo was making on the 4th line five years ago. He extended Boll for some strange reason, yet let Derek Mackenzie go. He brought in a bunch of useless pluggers like Corey Tropp. It was a big downgrade on what Jarmo inherited.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Re-sign Anderson

doubters go back and watch the highlights from the Tampa sweep
He was our best player by a mile...including bread....watch the highlights before you call me nuts

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Not sure if this is in the spirit of the OP but I would have trade Bread & Bob before the season started and looked beyond what was a pipe dream.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
That was one hell of a pipe dream. I could have sworn we swept Tampa.

and lost to Boston. While I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Jackets kick Tampa's ass, so what? Now we are missing draft choices as well as Bob & Bread. If the dream was to win one series then that was even more foolish to not trade them.

Reactions: Toe Pick and domi28

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
and lost to Boston. While I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Jackets kick Tampa's ass, so what? Now we are missing draft choices as well as Bob & Bread. If the dream was to win one series then that was even more foolish to not trade them.

I suppose "thoroughly enjoyed" is a relative distinction. I don't think I could have felt much more ecstasy if we had won the cup.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Weird spot to bring him up. Are you hoping he becomes available?

In any case, MacInnis took big strides this year. His skating and exemplary defensive game make him look like a useful 4C, not sure the Jackets will use him next year but I hope he sticks around.

Nothing to do with whether he is available or not. Was just going through the Coyotes' drafts since 2013 and where the players are now or how they're doing,

In fairness, haven't yet looked at the Blue Jackets page yet to see what players are signed/available/on the way in 2020-21 to see where he fits.

Purely based on the success of the two teams in recent years, admittedly Phoenix appears headed on an upward trajectory, it would seem it would have been harder to crack Columbus' forward group. And the fact that he had spent all his time in the Coyotes' organization with Tucson made me curious.

And in candor, misread his two games with Springfield as a full season, he was a fourth-year pro this past season — not in his fifth year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nothing to do with whether he is available or not. Was just going through the Coyotes' drafts since 2013 and where the players are now or how they're doing,

In fairness, haven't yet looked at the Blue Jackets page yet to see what players are signed/available/on the way in 2020-21 to see where he fits.

Purely based on the success of the two teams in recent years, admittedly Phoenix appears headed on an upward trajectory, it would seem it would have been harder to crack Columbus' forward group. And the fact that he had spent all his time in the Coyotes' organization with Tucson made me curious.

And in candor, misread his two games with Springfield as a full season, he was a fourth-year pro this past season — not in his fifth year.

Macinnis is an RFA this coming offseason. He'll be re-signed but I think he will have to pass through waivers.

Fun fact - if Macinnis had played another 10 games with the Jackets the Coyotes would have gotten our 5th rounder instead of the 6th rounder this summer. I really like Macinnis as a 4th line fill-in guy and I hope we can keep him but the trade didn't make that much sense really. The Jackets are a very deep squad and you'd think the Coyotes would have had a bigger need for him, perhaps as an eventual Richardson replacement.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
i would love to see MacInnis as a 4th line center. He is a solid guy in the AHL. The problem is, he needs to do it at the NHL level, and you just don't get the luxury of time to get better there. He can be a guy that plays on the PP and PK as well. Don't know if he will make it here, but I would like it if he does. He is a good all around player.

As far as moves and signings go, I like what Columbus has done. To me, this off season was gong to be more important than last years. I still think they made the right moves at the trade deadline. I have no problem with taking a shot like they did. If the situation was different, like your two best guys were not going to re-sign, and maybe they weren't as good as Bob and Panarin, then maybe you move them at the deadline. The situation dictated to make the run with them, add try to add a couple pieces and hope it works.

Last edited:

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

I think it was important to win one for our franchise for multiple reasons. If we were Pittsburgh, it'd maybe be foolish asset management. But it was important for the city and also important for the guys in the room to both show that management believed in them and get the monkey off their back/additional playoff experience. If the only enjoyment you can get out of your favorite team is if they win the whole thing, then you're going to be miserable 96.8% of the time and happy only 3.2%. And it's pretty dumb in my opinion to partake in any hobby that you only enjoy 3% of the time.

I also don't think we could've gotten a king's ransom for them, given they each only had one year left and everyone knew there'd be an extremely limited number of franchises they'd be interested in re-signing with.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
1. Not necessarily hiring GMDM but allowing that fool to hire the PEI mafia with no checks and balances. Everything from blaming our road losses on Whitney to his famous quote to "Tell Whitney Marchant has his money".
2. Not insuring Horton's contract.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad