Speculation: Resigning Mike Green +'s vs -'s?

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
After the lazy line change I am over green. He is so overhyped with no leadership let him walk .

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Simply put-we can't afford him. Even if the cap goes up to $82 mil. the Wings will have approx. $24 mil. in cap space which sound like a lot except for the fact that RFA's Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bert and Frk need to be re-signed to either bridge or long term deals. There is also the small detail of a back up tender as Coreau is a UFA(not sure he is the answer we are looking for as the #2 to Howard). Rather have either Hronek or Russo take Green's place on the roster. Consider the following-

Green has
7 goals(NHL rank-42nd)
25 assits(rank-36th)
32 pts(rank-35th)
.52 ppg(rank-32nd)
-10+/-(rank-264)
1 ppg(rank-74th)
13 ppp(rank-27th)
22.07 toi(rank-53rd.)

In my opinion, those numbers don't justify anywhere near the money or term that Green will be looking for(likely 3 or more yrs @ $5 mil+ per).

The ONLY scenario for re-signing Green that I would be comfortable with would be for 1 yr. (at about $4 mil) with NO NTC so that he could be flipped at the TDL which he is unlikely to agree to.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I say play the waiting game with Green...See how his health is sometime this summer, and concentrate more on Tavares/Karlsson...It's not like Green is gonna have 5 plus teams throwing out insane amounts of $$$ at him come July 1st, and if there is - well good luck Mikey.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Don't want. Was a great add when we added him, but he will just get worse, and will prevent Hronek/Cholo/etc. from getting minutes over time. And if we couldn't get trade value for him this year, there's next to no chance we get anything (reasonable) for him in future years.

I should note, after looking over some of page 1, that I have no expectation that he'll take a short term contract. I wouldn't mind bringing him back for 1 year, if he, for some reason, agreed to that.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Cholowski-Green
Ericsson-Hronek
DeKeyser-Daley

Yes there room to re-sign him, and he ain't taking minutes from the kids. And even if Green leaves which i highly doubt, they just gonna sign someone else.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Cholowski-Green
Ericsson-Hronek
DeKeyser-Daley

Yes there room to re-sign him, and he ain't taking minutes from the kids. And even if Green leaves which i highly doubt, they just gonna sign someone else.

:rolleyes:

Yes, he's not taking any minutes away from anyone, playing on the PP and playing first line minutes that he's frankly not good enough to play.

Glad you posted one set of lines, as if that's the end-all, be-all, though. Strong argument.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
:rolleyes:

Yes, he's not taking any minutes away from anyone, playing on the PP and playing first line minutes that he's frankly not good enough to play.

Glad you posted one set of lines, as if that's the end-all, be-all, though. Strong argument.

Well in those lines Green share's minutes with Cholo. So whats the problem? This team is still in rebuild mode next year, so players like Mike Green can 25 min per night, every night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad