Required to wear masks while we play? Any ideas?

Domvan66

Feb 4, 2020
Up until now we were only required to wear masks until we dressed out, or when helmets are off. But now my league announced we will have to wear them at all times, even during play. I’m not quite even sure how that will work with cages and mouthguards (I always have mouthguard attached to my helmet, which I guess I won’t be able to anymore). Both are also required.

Anyone have ideas, or a masks that don’t turn into sweaty, soggy mess?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I'm pretty sure a version of these CCM Game On Player Face Masks were what I saw Hockey East college players wearing under their face shields during games last weekend. I cannot vouch for their comfort nor effectiveness, but they might be worth you looking into. Good luck, stay healthy.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
yeah, no. your league should just cancel the season. I can't see how players are going to be down with that.

only thing i could think of which would be doable would be if you could somehow affix that Bauer face shield thing onto a helmet (no mask underneath).

Untitled-1-11.jpg

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Somehow Sparky "The Plug" Smith will still manage a way to put out 3 minute shifts

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
My league does not require masks but I wear one anyway. I am wearing the CCM Game On mask with a full shield. I tried the Bauer Splash Guard but didn’t like it. Too much fogging. The CCM mask is much better. It doesn’t sit right up against your face so it allows you to breathe better than a regular mask. It takes some adjusting to get it right but once you do it’s workable.
Everyone has their opinions on masks but I will tell you this: we’ve had some team-wide breakouts in our league. With one team, every player who could’ve become infected (2 have already had COVID) did become infected with the exception of one player, the goalie who always wears a face mask on and off the ice. Food for thought.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Joke of a league. Find another that isn’t trying to wreak havoc on your lungs, Masking the healthy is moronic in general. While exerting yourself? YIKES.

Can you please cite any sort of medical study or peer reviewed journal article to support this?

Reactions: cptjeff and LarryO

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Can you please cite any sort of medical study or peer reviewed journal article to support this?
I’m all for masks to limit viral spread, but the poster has a point. If everyone playing is proven virus free (healthy in his words) then masks aren’t needed, and would actually be an impediment to performance. That (imo) is a given, and just common sense. However, no way am I playing a team sport right now where I’m in a confined space (indoors) with lots of other people, and we’re all breathing really hard. That’s not safe.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I’m all for masks to limit viral spread, but the poster has a point. If everyone playing is proven virus free (healthy in his words) then masks aren’t needed, and would actually be an impediment to performance. That (imo) is a given, and just common sense. However, no way am I playing a team sport right now where I’m in a confined space (indoors) with lots of other people, and we’re all breathing really hard. That’s not safe.

Agreed. However he specifically said that wearing a mask will "wreak havoc on your lungs." Wearing a mask makes breathing a little more difficult at first, although I've been wearing one when working out for the past couple months and have quickly gotten used to it, but there is absolutely no indication wearing a mask will do any long-term damage to someone's lungs.

Posts like the one I quoted are irresponsible and have no basis in reality, and really don't belong on a board like this. They just facilitate the spread of false information and create purposely misleading narratives that spread among those who choose to believe their own realities rather than face the one we live in.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008

Yeah but in what world can we be sure that everyone playing is virus-free? You can be asymptomatic and still spread COVID. You can be pre-symptomatic and spread COVID. The latter is more common in our league. We hear about someone who has symptoms 2 days after playing and then others from the same game start having symptoms too.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
there is absolutely no indication wearing a mask will do any long-term damage to someone's lungs.

There are some very real health concerns related to high-intensity activities while wearing a mask though, as it does reduce the oxygen intake and could lead to issues with blood circulation. That is not to say that one shouldn't wear a mask while playing recreational hockey indoors, but it is necessary to adapt the intensity accordingly. Top-level competitive hockey would be very difficult to play with a mask.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah but in what world can we be sure that everyone playing is virus-free? You can be asymptomatic and still spread COVID. You can be pre-symptomatic and spread COVID. The latter is more common in our league. We hear about someone who has symptoms 2 days after playing and then others from the same game start having symptoms too.
Didn’t the NHL recently complete a successful and safe (with zero Covid positive cases)playoffs in a bubble? If there is no virus present, then masks aren’t needed. But local recreation hockey, right now, isn’t safe. And wearing a mask, while exercising vigorously, isn’t healthy either. In BC we recently had a men’s hockey team travel to Alberta (when only essential travel out of one’s local community is allowed) only to return with Covid, and spread throughout their small communities.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Agreed. However he specifically said that wearing a mask will "wreak havoc on your lungs." Wearing a mask makes breathing a little more difficult at first, although I've been wearing one when working out for the past couple months and have quickly gotten used to it, but there is absolutely no indication wearing a mask will do any long-term damage to someone's lungs.

Posts like the one I quoted are irresponsible and have no basis in reality, and really don't belong on a board like this. They just facilitate the spread of false information and create purposely misleading narratives that spread among those who choose to believe their own realities rather than face the one we live in.
Are there studies that cover this question? To me it’s kind of common sense that wearing a mask will reduce athletic performance. The more the mask restricts breathing, and the more ones performance would drop, right? In rec hockey I’d assume there are older guy, who are not in good condition. I don’t think wearing a mask while playing would have long term health consequences for them, but the restricted air flow combined with exercise (for elderly out of shape men) could be a precursor to a sudden health event.
To me playing team sport right now(for adults; the older the more risk) just isn’t safe.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Are there studies that cover this question? To me it’s kind of common sense that wearing a mask will reduce athletic performance. The more the mask restricts breathing, and the more ones performance would drop, right? In rec hockey I’d assume there are older guy, who are not in good condition. I don’t think wearing a mask while playing would have long term health consequences for them, but the restricted air flow combined with exercise (for elderly out of shape men) could be a precursor to a sudden health event.
To me playing team sport right now(for adults; the older the more risk) just isn’t safe.

Try telling that to the guys that play in my leagues. A whole bunch of them want to play around and imitate Wayne Gretzky while out there.

I'm a younger guy, so listening to these older gentleman tell me about how they lost their jobs, and other livelihoods related to COVID hurts. I too would have Cabin Fever if I were home all day, nearly everyday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad