Request for help: How to watch the Caps after cutting cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I could use some help from Capsland. We're looking to buy a place in DC next year, and we're trying to avoid getting cable. Assuming we get good internet, what are my options for watching the Caps? Are there any decent legal options? Are there any legal options at all?

Is cable the only way to watch the Caps in DC?

I think I'm not going to like the answer, but I thought I'd give the HF Caps braintrust a shot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Single-team packages will be available on gamecenter live next year, however it appears local blackouts will still be in effect. There are other options, but HFBoards gets mad if you talk about them.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Single-team packages will be available on gamecenter live next year, however it appears local blackouts will still be in effect. There are other options, but HFBoards gets mad if you talk about them.

I thought part of that deal is the blackouts would be gone....actually double checking I was incorrect. Man the local blackout stuff needs to go the hell away.

Last edited by a moderator:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Once it goes away I'll be done with cable. Sports are the only reason I keep cable.

We have FIOS and it's the same deal. My wife keeps trying to talk me into getting rid of it, but the sports packages and "bundles" or whatever they're offering end up costing the same or more.

I think these companies are well aware of which channels sell the most (and most expensive) ads. They've run the numbers. They're not going to split off the good stuff for cheap. Not unless they're about to go under and will take ANY revenue.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Since I'm out of the country I'm going to try the Game Center. Little weary about trusting wifi for my hockey but I don't have a choice.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
Since I'm out of the country I'm going to try the Game Center. Little weary about trusting wifi for my hockey but I don't have a choice.

I watched a bunch of games on wifi on gamecenter and it was fine most of the time.

Apr 6, 2004
If you have a local friend / family member who has cable and a random TV that doesn't get used much if at all, Slingbox is the way to go. For example, my buddy lives in DC but is a Pens fan, has family in the Burg. His Uncle has a TV in the basement that never gets used, he hooked up a Slingbox, can control the TV from his PC or phone and gets a local feed.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
No cable? How will you survive? I'm being serious too.
It's surprisingly easy. When we moved we never signed back up for cable, and we haven't really missed it. We have an antenna, Netflix and SlingTV, which has a good variety of channels. We're plenty busy, so we don't spend a lot of time in front of the TV, so that might make a difference for some.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Have you tested your internet speed on speedtest.net? It's been a while since I used Game Center, but I think it recommended at least 3 Mbps.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Have you tested your internet speed on speedtest.net? It's been a while since I used Game Center, but I think it recommended at least 3 Mbps.

Not yet don't have it installed yet. Wifi over here is pretty good though. I should be fine, just have a distrust for streaming quality.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Not yet don't have it installed yet. Wifi over here is pretty good though. I should be fine, just have a distrust for streaming quality.
I stream Netflix, SlingTV, and other things over Wifi without any issues on the lowest Comcast tier. As long as the feed is HD, it looks good. Netflix doesn't buffer at all. SlingTV and the other service both have short pauses every so often. For about $70/month less than what we had been paying at the old house, no complaints at all.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
At least one site that was being discussed here is apparently on our "not 100% legal, don't discuss" list for HF. I won't type the name, you know what it is. Posts mentioning it have been deleted, so please do not repost similar comments elsewhere.

Question answered, thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad