Speculation: request for clarification, restrictions on players traded back

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
no 'discussion' prefix, this is closest...

In a prearranged first part to a larger deal,
post season
Team A trades
Smith [irrelevant contract info]
to
Team B
for Jones, say he expires next season at 6

Team B has lots of cap space, and team A, which doesn't, would like Jones but only if at half price. A will pay B to send him back retained.

So far there is no retaining on Jones.

Then, B agrees to eat 50% max on Jones and swaps him back to A, for whatever, say a draft pick.

Now I know there are restrictions about a team taking back the same player it already dealt to another team with retained salary already on that player.

But that is not the case here, I think.
Jones was not initially retained by A, so he can go back to A.
Once B retained, Jones cannot go back to B for at least one year.

Do I have that right or am I overlooking something or is that some further sub-rule I am not aware of that applies?

Til later pm,
thanks for replies

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Even if it follows the rules, I’m pretty sure the league can get involved if it even thinks you’re working the cap.

If they decide this is just a team’s take on circumvention, then it likely wouldn’t be allowed.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
No that's not allowed per the CBA, page 273

(C) Under no circumstances may a Club:

(4) Reacquire as part of a Retained Salary Transaction the SPC of a Player who was on that Club's Reserve List within the past calendar year;

Illustration: If Club A Trades the SPC of a Player to Club B (the "Initial Trade"), Club B cannot subsequently Trade an SPC of such Player back to Club A within one (1) calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade and retain a portion of the Averaged Amount of that SPC pursuant to a Retained Salary Transaction. However, Club B may Trade an SPC of the Player back to Club A within one (1) calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade if Club B does not retain any portion of such Player's SPC.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

thanks to all, this seems to answer it.
If it is literally the last calendar year, the only loophole is you can make a deal in 2019 and do what I described effective in 2020, even if Jan 1. is only short time away.

However, that is too cumbersome for my purposes.

----------

I wanted to do 2 deals.
First a minor one, trade like
Strome + Namest. for Crawford + __________ x

Then send expiring Crawford back to the Hawks at 50% max retained + ______________
for
_______________ profit

hadn't worked out the details, but obv, the idea was for Rangers to get a broker's fee for arranging cap relief to Chicago as part of a larger deal.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Would something like this be allowed? Not proposing it. As per the OP I’m just asking about the rules...

Joe Bloggs has 4 years left at $6m, with $3m each year in signing bonus. His team (team A) has lots of cap space but are cash poor. He isn’t worth the $6m so his trade value is very low.

Fred Nerk has an identical contract for a team up against the cap. He is a good player but over-paid and the team (B) wants to move him to free up cap space.

So...

Joe Bloggs is traded to team B on 30 June

Joe Bloggs and Fred Nerk are traded to team A on 2 July.... or Nerk is traded and Bloggs is waived then claimed by team A.

Team B are basically paying $3m in cash (Joe Bloggs bonus) to facilitate the trade, without taking on any cap hit.

No salary retention so the rule referenced here earlier doesn’t apply.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad