Request advice re: new shoulder pads

jeffreyaa

Sep 2, 2005
GutFest '89
I play in an adult rec league and need new shoulder pads. I play somewhat of a rugged game, in front of the net a lot, but I want to avoid bulky pads that will limit my easy range of motion, etc.

I went to Hockey Giant this weekend and the guy suggested the CCM Vector 2.0 senior shoulder pads - large. Only prob was they only had the small in stock....

Does anyone have an opinion on the 2.0? Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
the sherwood 5030 is a very popular pad, most find it protective enough... I personally though the pad didn't come down far enough and left my stomach open. I definitely would have bought them it the belly protection was longer like the 6.0s I have.

The 6.0s I use are comfy and very protective but they are a little bulky. Still very comfortable though.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
sherwood 5030.

Very similar to the coopers i hear. Oldschool stuff right there. Next stop, foil!

People really seem to like those, checkm out.

I could never wear those personally, I'd be too afraid to ever block shots again hehe

jeffreyaa

Sep 2, 2005
GutFest '89
Hmm- the Sherwoods definitely look non-bulky, although I think I'd like a LITTLE more protection than that; you all think the Vector 2.0's are a good compromise?

Does anyone know what is the difference is between the CCM 2.0 Sr. Shoulder Pads and the CCM 2.0 LE SMU Sr. Shoulder Pads, btw? Thanks again.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Hmm- the Sherwoods definitely look non-bulky, although I think I'd like a LITTLE more protection than that; you all think the Vector 2.0's are a good compromise?

Does anyone know what is the difference is between the CCM 2.0 Sr. Shoulder Pads and the CCM 2.0 LE SMU Sr. Shoulder Pads, btw? Thanks again.

My 6.0s are actually the LE version from HM. I'm not sure whether this is across the board vector stuff or limited to the LE or even limited to the stuff I got but I've had to repair the stuff twice in less than 6 months. My elbow pads had a "band strap" blow out and it had to be repaired. My shoulders had an issue with the stitching on the velcro across the chest blowing out, I had to stitch it back and now it's as good as new.

I've seen the 2.0s and they aren't very impressive as far as protection wise. I feel as if they are a step below the 5030 but they do have some extra length. Maybe if you can find some bauer 400s(a little bit better protection than the 2.0s), but again they are going to be as short as the sherwoods. I haven't personally seen the 4.0s but they might be a little better for you.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
i have cooperalls and they are falling apart. i love that they are one piece, they don't make them like that anymore.

jeffreyaa

Sep 2, 2005
GutFest '89
If you're in adult league, this is all you need unless you're very much into blocking shots. Then I'd suggest maybe RbK 3k's.

Hmm- I looked up the RbK 3k's and they look like they could do the job. This is the old Jofa pad, right?

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Saw this site in USA Hockey mag, look like they offer good protection without the bulk. I play in adult ice leagues, defense mainly and only use the RBK 6K padded shirt. Never have needed big shoulder pads in 13 years and I play pretty physical. Anyway, this is the link to the site, looks pretty cool but have never seen them in person. http://www.farrellsports.com/equipment-hockey.html

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Saw this site in USA Hockey mag, look like they offer good protection without the bulk. I play in adult ice leagues, defense mainly and only use the RBK 6K padded shirt. Never have needed big shoulder pads in 13 years and I play pretty physical. Anyway, this is the link to the site, looks pretty cool but have never seen them in person. http://www.farrellsports.com/equipment-hockey.html

150$? No thanks.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
I play in a couple of adult leagues and I wear the 5030's. I wouldn't wear anything else, even if I played in a pro level or what not. I love the comfort and weight of those pads.
I use to wear Bauer 8000, but hated the bulkiness of those shoulder pads. heavy and uncomfortable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad