Reports that some Russian teams pay players with Mob money

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Do you think players that decide to play in some Russian markets even care where their pay check comes from? There have been many reports or rumours that the Russian MOB run some or all of the clubs in Russia. I don't know if it's true or not but do you think this even comes to mind when players agree to play there? Where does Russian MOB money come from? Are players collecting their pay checks at the expense of ?????? hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :dunno: :dunno:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
eye said:
Do you think players that decide to play in some Russian markets even care where their pay check comes from? There have been many reports or rumours that the Russian MOB run some or all of the clubs in Russia. I don't know if it's true or not but do you think this even comes to mind when players agree to play there? Where does Russian MOB money come from? Are players collecting their pay checks at the expense of ?????? hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :dunno: :dunno:

This is weak.. really really weak. I'm not going to get into a whole philosophical discussion about it, but maybe you should do some research into where the billionaires in the "west" got their money from and at the expense of.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
shakes said:
This is weak.. really really weak. I'm not going to get into a whole philosophical discussion about it, but maybe you should do some research into where the billionaires in the "west" got their money from and at the expense of.

Your right. I shouldn't have brought it up but the players are frustrating the hell out of me.

mooseOAK*

The NHL has had a few owners indicted for some thing or another.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
You know guys, only reports about Mob money in Russian hockey I've read comes from North America.
Of course, there are some dark spots with bets or taxes like in any other country, but do you really think there is money from something terrible? Tails about bears on the streets were more kindly.

Dynamo has Havlat, Datsyk, Afinogenov, A. Markov and others but there is money from Government of Moscow who absolutely loves sport.
Avangard has Jagr, Perezhogin, Tverdovsky and Kovalenko but there is money from Sibneft Oil Company who makes investment in hockey for better public relations.
Avangard and CSKA are the parts of great PR company, Imho ;)

Ak Bars has nice list of stars but there is money from TatNeft Oil Company and Government of Tatarstan region that wants to benefit Kazan-city millennium.
I could continue.

Just FYI, Hockey isn't a business in Russia and far, far away from it. I could describe it as national tradition. It's not necessary to be profitable for teams. It's all about search for good investor for your team. If you have good investors you could be successful, haven't - you could be at the bottom.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Kaizer said:
I could describe it as national tradition.

For this reason, if I was a NHL star player playing in Russia, I'd be much more concerned about the Chechyn rebels than if I was receiving my paycheck from the Russian mob... Talk about an opportunity for terrorists to get their voices heard worldwide - while putting a dagger in one of Russia's national traditions... Here's hoping that security is super tight... These terrorists have already proven that they'd strike at an entertainment event (theatre), and that they'd kill children (school)... When considering this, IMO, to think that they'd potentially strike against Russian star hockey players during a Russian hockey game isn't that far of a stretch...

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Smail said:
The mob controls hockey in Russia.

The NHL behaved like a mob organization until the early 1990's. The only thing that saved the NHL from paying for its crimes was the 4 year statute of limitations for racketeering cases.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I in the Eye said:
For this reason, if I was a NHL star player playing in Russia, I'd be much more concerned about the Chechyn rebels than if I was receiving my paycheck from the Russian mob... Talk about an opportunity for terrorists to get their voices heard worldwide - while putting a dagger in one of Russia's national traditions... Here's hoping that security is super tight... These terrorists have already proven that they'd strike at an entertainment event (theatre), and that they'd kill children (school)... When considering this, IMO, to think that they'd potentially strike against Russian star hockey players during a Russian hockey game isn't that far of a stretch...

I don't see much difference, both Russia and USA have occupied a country (or nation) without UN's approval, mainly because of oil, and killed hundreds if not thousands of civilians including children. And in both cases those under attack have counterattacked the invading country (i.e. sept. 11th and that Moscow theatre).

And basically all the money is coming from the same source, the people who fill in their car, and Americans are well represented in that group.

Probably the odds for a strike is bigger in US than anywhere else in the world, at least in the big cities. Apart from Moscow and territories near Chechnya, the odds are really low.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
gary69 said:
Apart from Moscow and territories near Chechnya, the odds are really low.

Hope you're right...

And it's not something that would keep me up at night if I were a player... But this would concern me more than perhaps having my paycheck paid through the mob...

Edit: What the players over there, like over here, should be most concerned with is drunk and/or reckless drivers - not the mob or the terrorists... They are much more likely to be injured or killed by themselves or another driver on the road... well, and cancer too... The players should also be concerned about cancer... Man, there sure are a lot of ways to die...

Last edited:

KariyaIsGod*

The fact that the mob is a very powerful organization in Russia is no secret...

That being said, the players don't give a damn about wheere their checks come from, as long as they can "feed their family"....

Gee, since when did Chris Pronger's family consume a fleet of jet skis and a million dollar mansion in Dryden?

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, and the cast of characters in the NHL are squeaky clean.

Hmm...Bill Wirtz, Charles Wong, Eugene Melnyk, Comcast etc. Not exactly the better business bureau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad