Confirmed with Link: Reports: Blue Jackets sign Duclair

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I agree with all of those who says this is a good/risk reward signing.

My outlook - I'm actually expecting Duclair or Sonny to score 15-19 goals this year if Torts gives one or both consistent play and their ice time is not like a toilet seat (......said in honor of Matty :D).

.....or of course they could be traded.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I agree with all of those who says this is a good/risk reward signing.

My outlook - I'm actually expecting Duclair or Sonny to score 15-19 goals this year if Torts gives one or both consistent play and their ice time is not like a toilet seat (......said in honor of Matty :D).

.....or of course they could be traded.
Milano scored 14 last year so I don't think you're going too far out on a limb here.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
“Anthony wasn’t sure,” Lecavalier said. “It was ‘I know what you’re telling me depth chart-wise, and I hear how you’re saying Blue Jackets coach (John) Tortorella can help me, but … ‘

“I just told him, if he had any doubts, I’d call my brother right away. So I called Vinny.”

Vincent Lecavalier was a four-time NHL All-Star, a former No. 1 overall draft pick and a Stanley Cup champion. He’d met Duclair a few times, so they were comfortable having a heart-to-heart over the speakerphone in Philippe’s office while others listened.

More importantly, Vinny Lecavalier knows Tortorella all too well, too, having sparred with him many times when Tortorella coached the Tampa Bay Lightning in the early 2000s. Theirs was a turbulent and triumphant relationship, from Tortorella stripping Lecavalier’s captaincy in 2001 to lifting the Cup together in 2004.

“Vinny laid it out for us,” Philippe Lecavalier said. “He thought John would be the best coach in the NHL right now to help Anthony’s game, help him become the best player possible.

“He said to Anthony, ‘Listen, you’re a skilled guy. If you work and compete, John is going to play you and play you a lot. If you don’t work and you’re not competing, you’re not going to play. That’s the bottom line.'”

“I thought he should go to the best situation, hockey-wise,” the agent said, “not necessarily the best offer.”
What Columbus offered, both Lecavaliers figured, was a chance for Duclair to make the right choice at an early crossroads in his career.

Meanwhile, Duclair seems to recognize how much he needs Columbus.

“They like what I bring; they like my speed and my skill,” Duclair said. “They just want me to come in and work hard, and all of that will take care of itself.

“As for my role on the team … I’ve always been an offensive guy, but I want to grow my game to (being) a different player. That’s how (the Blue Jackets) play, it doesn’t matter who you are on the team, everybody’s reliable defensively and the offense takes care of itself.”

Tortorella had a good chuckle when he heard of Vincent Lecavalier’s impact on the Blue Jackets’ signing Duclair, how the old coach and the former player have come full circle after some tough times.

Now it’s Duclair’s turn to start the process.

“Columbus did their homework,” Philippe Lecavalier said. “They talked to people. The consensus was this kid does not have a character issue, he just needs help to become a better player. That was one of the reasons John thought he could really help Anthony with his career, and vice versa.

“Anthony realizes this is a very important year for him. He’s been training like a maniac in the gym, going really hard, and he plans on getting to training camp in amazing shape and showing everybody what he’s all about.

“He has to seize this opportunity. If John believes in him and Anthony earns it, I know he’ll be extremely successful.”

Why Anthony Duclair settled for the NHL minimum and joined...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Thanks for posting part of that Athletic article.

As a sidenote, Duclair plays both wings with equal ability, giving him some flexibility.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
sometimes all the guy needs is the right situation, the right linemates, ice time and special teams play, said Wild Bill to the LV Review Journal. ( fake news - but true none the less). Duclair could be the right guy at the right time.. he can fly and he goes to the net with reckless abandon.. and he can hit the broad side of the barn door unlike one Jason Chimera.

Reactions: cslebn

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm excited about many of the forwards. The only guys I don't expect to increase their goals totals are Panarin, Nash, Foligno and Milano. But if there are no big injuries or trades, limited ice time means it's going to be hard for everyone to score like they can. I do think that kind of competition is great for the team, I just don't think it's great for individual careers (as Matt Calvert surely knows).

sometimes all the guy needs is the right situation, the right linemates, ice time and special teams play, said Wild Bill to the LV Review Journal. ( fake news - but true none the less). Duclair could be the right guy at the right time.. he can fly and he goes to the net with reckless abandon.. and he can hit the broad side of the barn door unlike one Jason Chimera.

I think Chimera is an apt comparison at this point. For all the talk of Duclair's speed and skill, it's mostly just speed. He can gain the zone easily with his speed and he does drive the net. His work in the offensive zone isn't special, to my eye. But he's 22, so I'm watching to see how his game evolves.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Duc just posted this on his Instagram story:

2igdedx.png

Finally, a newcomer embracing the idea of being a Columbus Blue Jacket.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I feel like we misused him in Chicago for his brief time there. I think he is going to be awesome for CBJ. Kid can fly.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Duclair score 20 goals and 44 points his 1st full year in the league. Hopefully Torts utilizes him to take advantage of his talents.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Sorry to pop an old thread, just thought I would give some insight on Duclair.

Extremely fluid skater with great hands and a knack for the net when deployed right. He is without a doubt better than what many have said. He wont do a whole lot defensively, however he has made it clear he is willing to change his playing style. By all accounts, he is a decent guy. I dont believe he is a problem off ice. Tippet hindered his playing style with his dinosaur system and I think tochett didnt have enough patience for him because he wasn't really involved defensively.

Wish him well and wish him success.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Sorry to pop an old thread, just thought I would give some insight on Duclair.

Extremely fluid skater with great hands and a knack for the net when deployed right. He is without a doubt better than what many have said. He wont do a whole lot defensively, however he has made it clear he is willing to change his playing style. By all accounts, he is a decent guy. I dont believe he is a problem off ice. Tippet hindered his playing style with his dinosaur system and I think tochett didnt have enough patience for him because he wasn't really involved defensively.

Wish him well and wish him success.
I really hope he sticks and is impressive for us this year. We've done a good job with prove it contracts lately (namely Gagner) that I'm hopeful.

With all this Panarin crap, nothing would make me happier than Bread getting traded (even for futures) and then one of Duclair/Abramov/Milano grabbing the opportunity for extra offensive minutes and RUNNING with it.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Columbus fans, in general, are like: This place is great! You don't want to be here? We don't want you here.
I think this is directed at my post. While I am moving toward bitter, I didn't mean my previous post that way. Moreso, if/when Bread gets traded, I'd be really excited for one of the young guys to get a shot up the lineup (versus Foligno) and make the most of it. It might not be likely that one of Duclair/Abramov/Milano can produce like a 1st line player, but boy would it make a lot of us feel better.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If he turns into this season's Gagner I would be quite happy.

4th line minutes, PP time, is quite productive relative to minutes and salary.

If he ends up leaving for an overpay afterwards I would be happy for him.

Reactions: Viqsi

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't think Duclair adds a lot on the PP, so if he's going to get 20-20 he'll need a lot more 5v5 ice time. He's probably going to need to beat out a middle six winger for a job. That or hope Torts takes the 4-line-approach seriously, and gives them equal minutes to the 3rd line. There's a good chance Duclair will just get saddled with whoever is underperforming and have his minutes cut.

If he turns into this season's Gagner I would be quite happy.

4th line minutes, PP time, is quite productive relative to minutes and salary.

If he ends up leaving for an overpay afterwards I would be happy for him.

RFA baby. That's the crazy thing - we signed him one year at close to minimum salary, and now we own his rights in perpetuity.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think this is directed at my post. While I am moving toward bitter, I didn't mean my previous post that way. Moreso, if/when Bread gets traded, I'd be really excited for one of the young guys to get a shot up the lineup (versus Foligno) and make the most of it. It might not be likely that one of Duclair/Abramov/Milano can produce like a 1st line player, but boy would it make a lot of us feel better.
Not really directed specifically at your post. We feel disrespected as a city by every player who doesn't want to be here. Just offering insight into the prevailing civic mindset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad