Rumor: Report: Red Wings, Maple Leafs expected to revisit Phaneuf trade during offseason

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The hate for the guy is just absurd. He's a really good defenseman on a really ***** team.

I hope Kenny grabs the dude, because he's got game.

Although I've been an advocate of trading for him ever since rumours surfaced. I like the guy.

for the right price absolutely

he would be our #2 dman by a landslide over dekeyser and ericsson

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think that come the summer, although the Wings may revisit Phaneuf, he will no longer be at the top of their shopping list.

Phaneuf was the most valuable defender available at the deadline, but I'm not sure that he will be the most valuable available come the off season. Moreover, especially not from the Wings' perspective, as, ideally, they want a right handed defender.

Further compounding the issue is Phaneuf's contract. The Leafs don't want to eat much, if any, of it, and that is a big problem because no team can afford to overpay anyone. And the one thing wrong with Dion is that he is overpaid. So, if anyone is willing to take on his full contract, maybe it will come down to whether the Leafs are willing to accept crap players for him. I don't see how else you do an even trade for a guy, like Dion, who is overpaid, even acknowledging that he is a valuable and talented player who you might like to have. It has to be that the Leafs either eat part of his contract, or accept crap in return for him. Otherwise, I would leave the table.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Phaneuf has a poor attitude, a poor work ethic, and comes from an organization that doesn't prioritize winning. He's be terrible in Detroit. No thanks.
That's sensible and accurate.

i think its funny all the comments about Phaneufs attitiude

the way he handles the toronto media and the scruitny with absolute professionalism and integrity, I think every single current red wing would have cracked long before had they been playing in toronto.

some of this criticism is really unjust

while he may be getting overpaid for a #2 dman, personality issues are really unfair to level against him given no red wing has ever, ever, had to deal with 1/10th the scrutiny Dion has and does have to deal with
He's the captain and has had so many bad games, it would be showing favoritism to avoid mentioning this (in the media).

The hate for the guy is just absurd. He's a really good defenseman on a really ***** team.

I hope Kenny grabs the dude, because he's got game.

Although I've been an advocate of trading for him ever since rumours surfaced. I like the guy.
He's not a good dman. He constantly makes mistakes and is out of position on a lot of scoring chances or goals against. He's also lazy. Sure, he's on a crappy team but that makes no difference. The other dmen on the Leafs are on a crappy team, too.

But, being the captain, you'd expect 100% every night but he doesn't do so. I don't think he's a good defenceman, regardless, and the Wings would be crazy to sign him - even if the Leafs eat some contract which they are going to avoid if at all possible. They'll probably have to take some chunk of it to get a trade done, however.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think that come the summer, although the Wings may revisit Phaneuf, he will no longer be at the top of their shopping list.

Phaneuf was the most valuable defender available at the deadline, but I'm not sure that he will be the most valuable available come the off season. Moreover, especially not from the Wings' perspective, as, ideally, they want a right handed defender.

Further compounding the issue is Phaneuf's contract. The Leafs don't want to eat much, if any, of it, and that is a big problem because no team can afford to overpay anyone. And the one thing wrong with Dion is that he is overpaid. So, if anyone is willing to take on his full contract, maybe it will come down to whether the Leafs are willing to accept crap players for him. I don't see how else you do an even trade for a guy, like Dion, who is overpaid, even acknowledging that he is a valuable and talented player who you might like to have. It has to be that the Leafs either eat part of his contract, or accept crap in return for him. Otherwise, I would leave the table.

Well, every offer I see being pitched here, and even rumored at the deadline, had us trying to shuffle some combination of Weiss, Kindl, and/or Smith onto them...so, yeah. Meets that criteria. :laugh:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't know anything about valuing term v money in a full blown rebuild, but considering the hit and term left on Phanuef's contract, might it not be reasonable to accept "crap" as a return if they were significantly lesser in term? On the surface, the Horton/Clarkson trade didn't make much sense, but the more you looked at it the more it looked like both teams got what they needed. Weiss, Smith, Kindl are serviceable. They aren't signed for that much longer if at all. (Isn't Smith RFA or something next season? CAPGEEK, PLEASE.) Might not be as farfetched as imagined.

Though again, I don't know much about it so if anyone has a reason why it's completely unreasonable I'm all ears.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I don't know anything about valuing term v money in a full blown rebuild, but considering the hit and term left on Phanuef's contract, might it not be reasonable to accept "crap" as a return if they were significantly lesser in term? On the surface, the Horton/Clarkson trade didn't make much sense, but the more you looked at it the more it looked like both teams got what they needed. Weiss, Smith, Kindl are serviceable. They aren't signed for that much longer if at all. (Isn't Smith RFA or something next season? CAPGEEK, PLEASE.) Might not be as farfetched as imagined.

Though again, I don't know much about it so if anyone has a reason why it's completely unreasonable I'm all ears.

Smith's contract is up after this season, he is RFA.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/DET?year=2015

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

He's the captain and has had so many bad games, it would be showing favoritism to avoid mentioning this (in the media).

Look how many bad games our players have had, horrible echl level games and yet the media scruitiny is 1/1000th that it is in Toronto as I am from detroit and now live in toronto, I am fully aware more then just about anyone on this board what Dion Phaneuf has been put through in my city.

No other media in no other N/A sport is as bad as the Toronto media is toward the Maple Leafs

We can discuss his play and his value but attitude/professionalism/integrity he has most everyone on the DRW beat through sheer experience

Last edited by a moderator:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
****ing ****!!! Boychuck just resigned with NYI for 7 years at 6 million. I want this team to do nothing with Dion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
****ing ****!!! Boychuck just resigned with NYI for 7 years at 6 million. I want this team to do nothing with Dion.

You know we haven't fared well in free agency though. Realistically speaking, you can't put all your eggs in that basket.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
You know we haven't fared well in free agency though. Realistically speaking, you can't put all your eggs in that basket.

Part of me wonders how much of that is perception of the team. People definitely counted the Wings out during the off season. Now we're top3 in the division, right in the hunt for #2 or even #1. We had Zidlicky waive his NTC for us. If people now perceive Detroit to be a good team again, they'll probably be more eager.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

The NYI deserve a bit of good luck right now

they're a strong team

smart move by boychuk

lets hope we dont decide to wait for free agency to build our franchise

it rarely ever works

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Part of me wonders how much of that is perception of the team. People definitely counted the Wings out during the off season. Now we're top3 in the division, right in the hunt for #2 or even #1. We had Zidlicky waive his NTC for us. If people now perceive Detroit to be a good team again, they'll probably be more eager.

It will help, but it's still a wide-open very aggressive market by nature.

Old relationships with coaches/players, location, money, spouses, families, there's so many things to account for.

If I knew for sure we were favorites to get Mike Green, I wouldn't even consider a Phaneuf trade. But in being realistic, I can understand why they would pursue or entertain this trade possibility.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

He's not a good dman. He constantly makes mistakes and is out of position on a lot of scoring chances or goals against. He's also lazy. Sure, he's on a crappy team but that makes no difference. The other dmen on the Leafs are on a crappy team, too.

But, being the captain, you'd expect 100% every night but he doesn't do so. I don't think he's a good defenceman, regardless, and the Wings would be crazy to sign him - even if the Leafs eat some contract which they are going to avoid if at all possible. They'll probably have to take some chunk of it to get a trade done, however.

Kronwall makes mistakes and is always screening our goalie? Your argument is flawed.

People who bash him have no viable proof that he sucks. His stats are indeed a result on playing on a bad team. He may have an average work ethic, but that can improved here with a good leadership core. And his attitude? Like someone else, he handles the frenzied TOR media with actual class.

Dude, hits HARD, is big, and can score. His defense is suspect, but so are our defensemen.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
isles probably felt they had to do it.. but i think that will be bad contract at the end of it..

How many big free agent deals don't carry a good chunk of risk on the back end of them? I think it's just par for the course if you're looking to go into free agency (or keep someone from entering it) with those type of deals.

Yep. I think we've had a similar discussion in the past about the how the Wings should have moved on someone like Carle when they hit free agency, instead of sitting on the possibility of signing Suter. Because we did nothing, we ended up very shallow on the blueline (still are, really) and having to go with a number of stop gaps just to get by. We'll be seeing it continue if we pass up an opportunity to get a legit top3 D just because the whole situation isn't pitch perfect.

If the price is right on Phaneuf, go for it. We can still pursue Green this summer, and then make other deals as necessary to get under the cap. If we go into next summer without Kindl, Smith, Quincey, and Lashoff around, but having added Phaneuf, Green, and a couple of the kids...I consider that a very nice upgrade.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
You guys pride yourself on the draft and finding players - but, you want to solve your D problems with Phaneuf? You obviously don't watch him play enough. You must be really desperate. Did you guys think the Weiss signing was good, too?

RhyZa

Jul 3, 2006
:nod:
You guys pride yourself on the draft and finding players - but, you want to solve your D problems with Phaneuf? You obviously don't watch him play enough. You must be really desperate. Did you guys think the Weiss signing was good, too?

Draft is to restock and to sustain the success of the franchise not for immediate help in a shrinking window. If you think Phaneuf's contract is bad just wait until free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad